• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your life at the moment?

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
  • Not sure, but this past month or two I've been struggling to stay focused and motivated to do any school work. I've been playing video games way too much recently. I know it's bad to play them for so long when I have other things to do, but I can't stop myself. Time flies by so quickly that by the time I finally finish whatever game, it's suddenly 1 AM or something. My time management is pretty much nonexistent at this point (even ignoring my excessive gaming). I've been going to sleep way too late for my liking recently (2, 3, sometimes even 4 AM). I desperately need some kind of diagnosis or medication or something, because something is DEFINITELY wrong...

I'm stressing myself out trying to finish late assignments that I don't really understand how to do in the first place, and they're all starting to blend together and I can't distinguish one from another. And of course, we're getting new assignments as well, so I don't know if I should try to finish the old ones before starting the new ones or finish the new ones on time and then go back to the old ones. The latter is probably the best course of action, but the newer assignments build on the skills and such from the older assignments, so I can't really do the new assignments first...

Uhhh... I suppose that's more information than necessary. TLDR I'd say 3/10 for me.

Days
  • Not sure, but this past month or two I've been struggling to stay focused and motivated to do any school work. I've been playing video games way too much recently. I know it's bad to play them for so long when I have other things to do, but I can't stop myself.
    Not sure whether this will help you or not, but when I was in school and Pokemon games were new things to me, this was the case for me as well. Although my mother is strict, hence I did managed to survive. But as soon as I found myself slipping from top-5, top-10, I decided to go the hard way.......

Despite being subject topper, I was punished to stand outside of class for not being able to finish all the tasks, assignments, even classwork; hurt me then. I was taking the things for granted back then, but then I realized that I was going wrong. And afterwards:

I put fire on brain, enraged myself, and then deleted all the games at once, along with VisualBoy Advance and DesMuMe altogether, in order to avoid future cravings by seeing these emulators. And afterwards, there were no game, hence naturally I was not playing any games.

There are softer ways as well, like reward for avoiding; where we don't do those things for certain amount of time, and then reward ourselves by playing the game as a reward for avoiding the temptation for that much allotted time. But I feel this as overkill, and it had certainly never worked for me, but it may work for you.

Our real life should be our utmost priority, and everything else comes afterwards, and giving away too much time from our life in virtual world seems overkill, to me.

I believe that in your case, playing the games has more to do with habit. Habit is hard to break, but it will give you result in few days. For that whenever you feel like to play the games, quickly change the topic and divert your attention, by doing something simple like adjusting books in shelves, reapplying bedsheets, etc. which will change your mind on that instance. If it's evening time, just go out for a walk; without using headphone/earphone, and just focus on the sounds in the surrounding. These little-little things does works a lot, if done consistently.
    For going school, waking up early is a must, and we all do it. But after the vacation, doing it feels tough, and we get late. But eventually due to strictness, we do manage to get up on time, and the habit of waking up late is shutted down.

So if we try to apply the similar level of strictness for us on our bad habits, we could manage to overcome it.

And yes, all the best to you !!

Last edited:
    Back