• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On the subject of button mashing.

Years
  • I always hold B+up or B+down. It works, seriously!

naah, just kidding. I know it doesn't change anything. But I still do it xD Habit, I think.

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
  • Haha, yes. I was playing Pokemon with my mom's friend's little boys, and they actually scolded me for button mashing because they knew it didn't actually help. XD

Minezumi

ミネズミ
    Years
  • I used to play silver on GBA as a 4 year old, and I also collected Pokemon cards.
    I used to think that if you put the card in with the game, then you'd find that Pokemon on the card.

Dratini card FTW.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • When I was younger I used to mash 'A' all the time. I used to think my Pokemon catching chances would work. >: It didn't work. But to this day I still mash 'A' in hopes that my chances would rise. <:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I used to Spam A a lot for almost everything when I was a kid (Hey, I'm like the OP!), but sometimes I mash A and B when I catch pokemon... I guess it's like a habit for me, even though I know by now it doesn't work :tired:

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    When I was younger, I always read online about how pressing the down button and B button at the same time while the pokeball closed on a Pokemon you were trying to catch made you guaranteed to catch it. Even though I know that it's not true, I've gotten into the habit of still doing it today and it just doesn't feel right if I don't. I also sometimes tend to mash the A button a lot when I'm in battles.

mrcroconaw

That Croconaw
    Years
  • I used the infamous A+B+Down combo, and I still use it today. For some reason; I have easier times catching Pokemon; but I don't really mash a certain button. I also try tilting my head to whatever direction the Pokeball is rolling, just because of the suspense sometimes. XD

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Yeah just like everyone else, when I was young I thought pressing A would increase the catch rate. I was a little sceptical, but I did it anyways, in the hope that it would prove me wrong. I still do it out of habit, lol.

Also, I thought holding down B while you were surfing would repel wild Pokémon. Anyone else ever thought this?

Espinight

That Dutch Guy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2011
    Haha, yeah good times. I used to think it helped me catch Pokémon until I found out that was just a rumor.
    But when a Pokémon is taking too long to capture, I still do it anyway.

Zaicon

Gameplay Expert
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2019
    I used to press A and B when I was trying to catch a Pokemon. Then I read that it doesn't help. I still do it anyway.:P

I do this...

I do something a little more strange. For some reason, when I throw a Pokeball, I tilt my head the same direction as the Pokeball wiggles, just for good luck. Even though I know it does nothing.

...as well as this. I know it does nothing, but it is still entertaining.

Faeiri

Pokémon Noob
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2020
    I kind of wiggle my stylus in time with the Pokeball. You can tell I started with the DS games.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • I only have one question about button mashing, because I've heard about this several times, but I don't know if it's true or not, and I apologize if it is completely away from the subject, but if you button-mash through the intro when SRing, does it lower the chances of a shiny?

Years
  • Button mashing: all day, erry day. In all seriousness though, I always did this as a kid, and still do it a bit now. It was great for finishing battles when you were in a hurry, or just impatient like I was, as well as getting annoying NPC's to finally cease their talking, especially Nurse Joys. I did the catching thing too, but I didn't mash, so much as follow my own "catch rate improvement rules", compiled from various rumors among my friends and soccer team. I remember that I pressed A and B to catch regular Pokemon easier, and L and R to catch legends. Once I caught Rayquazza with a Timer Ball, on Sapphire, I was pretty much sold.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I always mash the buttons, especially when I already know what's going to be said throughout the game. Heck, I still do it today. As a kid, I always mashed the buttons in order to "improve catchrate" or make a normal Pokeball turn into a "Masterball". I remember and still do it today, press A when the Pokeball closes and synchronize left and right as the Pokeball goes left and right. With Legendaries, I always held down L+R and the technique I said earlier. Most of the techniques with button mashing came from rumors from previous generations, and I've just became used to them.

Years
  • I used to hold B + up while tring to catch Pokemon, and A while trying to do a lot of damage. Still occasionally find myself doing that while battling Legendaries.

Last edited:
    Back