• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On the subject of "pride days"

Years
    I read this article about how in Brazil, they not only have a Gay Pride day but they are coming out with a Hetrosexual Day. And everyone is saying that it's homophobic.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44026478/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/?gt1=43001

Think about it, if we had a White Pride day, it'd be 'racist', if we had a day to honor men, we'd be 'sexist'.

Why?

Why are straights not allowed to have a day to feel proud? Or men? Men have ALOT to be proud about, and so do whites? Thoughts?

(and this is not a topic about if homosexuality is wrong or right)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    I fully understand what you're saying here. The United States was founded on Freedom of Speech, which is the only thing that allows these pride marches and what-not. However, only allowing them for minorities, women, and homosexuals (in other words, people who have been looked down upon in the past, and sometimes still are today) is not right. If they can do it, so can we. Quite simply, it would be unconstitutional in the United States to not allow a specific group to show their pride for a day, no matter what that group may be, because it would violate their constitutional right to Freedom of Speech. True, the general public might not be too big on it, but again, we have our Freedom of Speech.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Basically, white heterosexual men have been "the right way to be born as" for hundreds of years- they got the power, the moral acceptance of everybody, etc. And, if you were something else, you were unnatural, strange, inferior. That's why women, gay people, black people, etc, have special days- to celebrate that our world has evolved to (generally) accept them as equals instead of chasing and burning them down. They were proud to be a minority, they were proud to have been considered "inferior" for so long and still be around.

By this logic, the previously dominant group shouldn't have anything to celebrate as they have been celebrating it during the past two millenia, simply by taking power and spreading their ideas.

Of course, if we have a day to celebrate potatoes, I don't see the problem of having a "White-hetero pride day". But having social majorities celebrating that they are the majority could feel kinda discriminative for the other groups.

Years
    Why do men, white people, and heterosexuals need a pride day? Every day is already a pride day for them. Having one for those groups is excessive.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Why celebrate acceptance for those that were already accepted? The only people that seem to have been born with acceptance are white heterosexual males. Head of house, slave owners, majority of presidents of the USA, etc. We study white males in history every day (in America anyway, so I'm speaking from an American standpoint) so why should whites, heterosexuals, and/or men have a day dedicated to them when every day/month that's not dedicated to a minority is technically dedicated to them? I see where you're coming from, and it's a shame it'd be viewed as racist, etc, but it's just not needed. They didn't overcome things women, blacks, hispanics, homosexuals, etc have overcome, and unfortunately, not even everything has been overcome. These days/months dedicated to minorities and the steps they've taken give hope to this generation, whether in that minority group or not, so that we can continue to rise above and eliminate the racism, sexism, etc that exists.

Last edited:

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Why do men, white people, and heterosexuals need a pride day? Every day is already a pride day for them. Having one for those groups is excessive.

THIS. I remember a girl in my history class complaining "why is there African history month? Or Asian history month? Where is our White history month!?!" Ummm...pretty much all of US History IS White history :| we don't need a month dedicated to that when we already have it in our curriculum.

The point of having pride days/months/whatever is for those who want their story and lives understood by people who don't really get it. Since we learn about white history all the time we don't need it, but African history and Asian history and Gay pride is something that is covered less or was at one time covered less. This was the way of telling everyone about it and getting them to learn and accept it.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I lol'd at the idea. Pride is about having endured pain and suffering as a whole entity, bringing like people together and showing them that society has no right to take away their individuality, not a petty show of arrogance. It should be called Straight Hubris.

Years
    Don't assume because they are hetro, male or white, they don't go through struggles. They do. And especially with Men vs Women with one side thinking that they are superior and expect to be treated better than men. Men at least deserve a day because it seems like no one realizes they have rights to.

They (minority groups) can now pretty much use the fact that they are minorities to get what they want from the government. This isn't an attack on minorities because I am half black, so I am one. But that's what it seems like.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Don't assume because they are hetro, male or white, they don't go through struggles. They do. And especially with Men vs Women with one side thinking that they are superior and expect to be treated better than men. Men at least deserve a day because it seems like no one realizes they have rights to.

They (minority groups) can now pretty much use the fact that they are minorities to get what they want from the government. This isn't an attack on minorities because I am half black, so I am one. But that's what it seems like.

Who doesn't realize, exactly?
    The whole point is that everyone realizes. Otherwise, we wouldn't any of what you mentioned.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
    Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    The reason that possibly Men, Whites and Straight people don't have any sort of 'Pride' day is this; they were never considered minorities.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

Everyone has struggles. But who gets the rougher struggles and has to fight off more prejudice? Blacks. Gays. Women. Muslims. White straight men have rights too, yes. But they've always had rights. They never really had to fight for them, unless you're talking about Americans fighting the British for freedom, which to reiterate, is studied nearly every year in American schools and is celebrated on July 4th. If you want "white straight man day" then July 4th pretty much sums that up for you.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The "feminazi" movement makes feminists look bad.

Don't assume because they are hetro, male or white, they don't go through struggles.
    The day that a straight, white, cissexual, able-bodied male is treated horrible in society because he's any one of those things, then they can say that they have the same struggles as minorities. But there hasn't been a time when straight, white, cissexual, able-bodied males have been largely treated as if they were less than humans or denied rights and services (and I'm thinking more of in American history, since I am American). Otherwise, they're just taking away the attention of minorities who have actually struggled all through history and putting it all on men, making the minorities' struggles invisible.

They (minority groups) can now pretty much use the fact that they are minorities to get what they want from the government.
    All minorities want is to be treated the same as straight, white, cissexual, able-bodied males.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022

I don't care if you're a minority, it doesn't make what you said suddenly okay. Minorities are still treated as inferior, for example: a study was run where they sent in applications with the exact same qualifications but one application had a stereotypically white name, and the other had a stereotypically black name. The person with the white name got the calls for the job. So yes, government programs like affirmative action are still needed because minorities still aren't treated completely fair.

White men have rights and freedoms and we do know it. That's why minorities are fighting be to equal in the first place :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't see why having a special day is a big deal. I don't really need a 'celebration day' to tell me who to respect; although I can see why groups of people who have been oppressed in the past might want one, because there are obviously some people who would have no idea about the past struggles of minorities. But I personally just ignore all 'celebration' days whether they're about pride or not.

People coming up with the idea of having a white/hetero pride month are clearly doing it for the 'principle'; they're throwing their toys out of the pram over the fact there's gay/black/etc. pride. If you don't like it, then just ignore it, don't get upset and demand to have your own special day. What's there to celebrate anyway? Countless wars?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    It's not that there's anything wrong with it... it's just kind of pointless. Pride days are meant to make minorities feel welcome, and since Heterosexuals/Whites are by far the majority (in America anyway) having a pride day for them doesn't actually accomplish anything but annoy the minorities that pride days were created for in the first place.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    Alright, this is one of my big pet peeves. When heterosexual white people cannot have something that some else has. There was this girl in my school that said that no one liked her because she was white; the entire school was white. LMAO

Ok, anyway. Every human should be equal. Whether we admit it or not, gay, black, Hispanic, Muslim, disabled, transgender, and several other minority groups are not treated as equals to white Christian heterosexuals, some of these groups more so than others. When affirmative action and civil rights laws are enacted, the scales are tipped a little closer to the normative group, but still a long ways to go to equity. When white people complain that the scales are getting closer to equal they freak out and act as if the other groups are getting special treatment. Affirmative action and Pride days are just a few ways that minority groups achieve more rights. If there was a white pride day, it would just cancel out the other minority groups.

And like Scarf said, don't we celebrate the normative lifestyle everyday? Just turn on a tv, how many people are white and heterosexual? If I didn't know any better, the television stations are celebrating white pride day, lol. That is why BET was created, black people felt that they were being left out by MTV. I have heard white people freak out and say that it is not fair that "they" get a station just for themselves. I just responded that almost every other channel would be considered "white" channels if you had to place a label on them. So one channel is not preferential treatment.

Years

I don't care if you're a minority, it doesn't make what you said suddenly okay. Minorities are still treated as inferior, for example: a study was run where they sent in applications with the exact same qualifications but one application had a stereotypically white name, and the other had a stereotypically black name. The person with the white name got the calls for the job. So yes, government programs like affirmative action are still needed because minorities still aren't treated completely fair.

White men have rights and freedoms and we do know it. That's why minorities are fighting be to equal in the first place :/

Affirmative Action is crap. Not only because the fact that your not white, is your ticket to work, but it makes it seem like minorities can't get a job based on qualifications. In short, I don't need to be auto approved because I'm biracial. I'd rather be accepted for what I can bring to the table. If someone else has it better, then so be it.

In short, I do believe that we are all treated equal. Now all I am seeing is one side trying to get more. Which, in short, if we didn't have ANY pride, days....

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years

Hetero, male, or white people may go through struggles, but not based off their sexual or racial identity.

Back