• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One Piece in America

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
Years
  • As I think back, I realize how unpopular One Piece is in the US compared to Naruto and Bleach. I've always wondered why One Piece failed in America. Was it the 4kids version? Was it a lack of appeal to Americans? I think One Piece is one of the greatest series out there, but is far from as popular as Bleach or Naruto even though all of these are good series. So the question is where did One Piece go wrong?
    I've always thought it wasn't the 4kids version, but more about how the series started out. Naruto starts out midly interesting since Naruto is aiming to be Hokage (A clearly definable title as the one who guards the village) and he's in Ninja training, Ichigo becomes a soul reaper right away in Bleach with loads of interesting combat scenes right away, but One Piece starts out with a kid aiming to be the pirate king (And no one knew what the hell that was when the series started) and I think it caused people to think the show/manga was boring. Mind you that's just my opinion of course, but what does everyone else think?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The thing I disliked the most about this series was just the art style. I hated the character designs and I guess I'm just not interested in the story either. :(

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • It's because One Piece requires an open mind to enjoy. it takes a while to get started and has a different artstyle (although I still don't see what's so bad about the artstyle!).

Since a lot of the casual anime fans are the instant gratification type they overlooked One Piece and went for Naruto and Bleach.

And of course 4Kids did not help. But even if FUNimation had dubbed it from the start there still would have been loads of people who were too close-minded to give it a chance.

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • The thing I disliked the most about this series was just the art style. I hated the character designs and I guess I'm just not interested in the story either. :(

I think that people like yourself who hate the art style are into other, more familiar anime. I don't think the art style is bad, just different. I usually don't tend to care about the art style unless it gets in the way of the story (Such as poorly drawn situations where you can't tell heads or tails about whats what). By the way, did you watch the 4kids version or the funi dub or what? That might be a reason you didn't like it. Go to kaizoku fansubs and watch the arlong arc (It's about episode 31 to 45). This is where I think the series really took off. If you don't like One Piece after watching these eps I don't know what to tell you.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It doesn't air on American television, does it (asking honestly here; I'm not sure). The other two are both on Adult Swim, and that audience is pretty big. The more viewers you have, the more they spread the word about a series, and the more viewers you get to spread the word to more viewers who spread... etc.

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • It doesn't air on American television, does it (asking honestly here; I'm not sure). The other two are both on Adult Swim, and that audience is pretty big. The more viewers you have, the more they spread the word about a series, and the more viewers you get to spread the word to more viewers who spread... etc.

Yes, you're correct that One Piece does not air on American television. I agree with you that being on Adult swim definetly boosts the popularity of certain anime, but is Naruto even on Adult Swim? Anyway, I think Bleach is the best show for the US for a number of reasons:

It is violent
    It starts of very interesting
    It isn't Sailor Moon (Sorry fans!)

I could list more but it's uneccassary. If the uncut One Piece dub aired on Adult Swim I think the shows popularity would skyrocket, mainly because the older audience probably isn't aware of the 4kids dub to think it's a childish show O__o

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • It does start a little slow, but like you said, the Arlong Arc is where the series really picks up but instead of watching that, just watch the second movie, it's basically where the series goes from there.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • is Naruto even on Adult Swim?
    I know it airs (or aired) on American television. I don't know for sure if it airs on Adult Swim, though (I really don't watch anything on there except ATHF and Robot Chicken). I think it airs on there, though. Either that or it airs on Cartoon Network daytime television, which I doubt.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Naruto and One Piece both air BEFORE Adult Swim, in the section that keeps changing names (used to be called Toonami, now who really cares, since I don't watch Cartoon Network much anymore).

Years
  • The 4kids dub and the slow pace of the manga(they JUST finished the Alabasta arc in the U.S. manga) is what did it in.

Although there is still hope- Funimation has been uploading episodes to their site and simulcasting the Japanese episodes(at least for now- there have been some video piracy issues arise from it, and they only just recently got approval to start doing it again). And in January, Viz is going to begin releasing five volumes of the manga each month until July due to fan demand, and I think they'll be keeping it in Shonen Jump magazine during that time, skipping ahead of all the volumes they intend to release(why, I dunno....but it's there).

Give it some time- eventually, One Piece will get the attention it deserves.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Go away One Piece haters.

>:-(

I LOVE One Piece.

One Piece DESERVES to be aired on TV.

Just like freaking Naruto deserves to be aired on TV.

**** you Cartoon Network

**** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:-(

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Naruto and One Piece both air BEFORE Adult Swim, in the section that keeps changing names (used to be called Toonami, now who really cares, since I don't watch Cartoon Network much anymore).

No they do not.

One Piece isn't on there anymore and neither is Naruto. However Naruto Shippuden is coming to Disney XD really soon. (I don't know how anybody could miss that news, since all of the crazy fans were complaining so much.)

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I think that people like yourself who hate the art style are into other, more familiar anime. I don't think the art style is bad, just different. I usually don't tend to care about the art style unless it gets in the way of the story (Such as poorly drawn situations where you can't tell heads or tails about whats what). By the way, did you watch the 4kids version or the funi dub or what? That might be a reason you didn't like it. Go to kaizoku fansubs and watch the arlong arc (It's about episode 31 to 45). This is where I think the series really took off. If you don't like One Piece after watching these eps I don't know what to tell you.

I don't know... I still think that Water 7 and afterwards are where it gets REALLY good. Although, of course the three big arcs before that (Arlong, Skypeia, and Alabasta all had their moments.)

But seriously, Water 7 it just seems to take a big step up. But I maybe biased because my favorite scene is in the Enies Lobby arc.

Although personally I wouldn't tell anybody to skip over anything except for fillers if they're watching the anime. One Piece is an series that largely builds up upon itself. If you watch it all you will be used to the artstyle and you'll really like the characters because you've got adjusted to them. (Luffy very much so. I didn't like him so much when I first watched One Piece, but now he is one of my very favorite characters.)

Once you really care for the characters you realize how great the series really is.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Hate me all you like, but I actually like the 4kids version. YA YO YA YO YA YO!!! That theme song is one of the things 4kids did right and got me on the show. (And in the end that's 4kids job, to introduce to anime.) I like the fansubs also. Personally prefer the ya yo ya yo ya yo version though. I really have no idea why it failed so much in america. IMO, the Funi version redid voice actors that did it in. (I can honestly say that I like 4kids Luffy AND Sanji, lollipop and all.)

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • I think what really didn't help One Piece gain ground in the US was the 4KIds dubbing. I personality love the 4Kids dub but I can see where some people may not like it. The dub was kind of butchered ('kind of' being used loosely here) and some people had issues with the voices. The pacing could be a problem but the thing is that One Piece really does find a pacing by the time Buggy gets going. The Buggy arc help set things up but the awesome stuff that defines how the show will be is in Arlong. If you weren't in love with ONe Piece by Arlong then your chance of clicking with One Piece is low. The thing that a lot of people had gained a prejudice against 4Kids dubs that they already wrote off ONe Piece as a failure and thus a good chunk of the fanbase was lost.

It also didn't help that Cartoon Network treatment of the show. One Piece clearly didn't get the same treatment that Naruto got when it premiere and was being shown. Naruto got the custom commercials while ONe Piece got jammed in Toonami commercial moments. One Piece also got jerked around and pulled off normal airing a good amount of times if anybody remember correctly. Sometimes One Piece would be off the air for months at a time and then put back on with new episodes. While Naruto got new episodes each time. Similar treatment was done when it was on FoxBox except once they took it off the air. It stayed off the air until Cartoon Network put it back on.

One thing I want to bring up is that Cartoon Network of Australia was able to finish the Skypiea. So it had to been popular down there.

I just think that One Piece never had that right treatment to get that chance that it needed to be big. Things like art style and stuff can be get over since there are popular shows like Shin Chan who have a huge following but 'lacking' animation style. Right now it seems like Funi and Toei are doing their best to make One Piece get that right treatment. DVDs that have subbed and dubbed options. Getting the manga up to par. All they need now is to get One Piece back on TV here in the US and they be set. Which is possible seeing that Naruto is going to be on Disney XD. If Naruto does good there then Toei may think about pushing to get One Piece on Disney XD too with FUni dubs.

EDIT: I liked 4Kids Sanji. He is the only Sanji I would cosplay as. haha

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • I think what really didn't help One Piece gain ground in the US was the 4KIds dubbing. I personality love the 4Kids dub but I can see where some people may not like it. The dub was kind of butchered ('kind of' being used loosely here) and some people had issues with the voices. The pacing could be a problem but the thing is that One Piece really does find a pacing by the time Buggy gets going. The Buggy arc help set things up but the awesome stuff that defines how the show will be is in Arlong. If you weren't in love with ONe Piece by Arlong then your chance of clicking with One Piece is low. The thing that a lot of people had gained a prejudice against 4Kids dubs that they already wrote off ONe Piece as a failure and thus a good chunk of the fanbase was lost.

It also didn't help that Cartoon Network treatment of the show. One Piece clearly didn't get the same treatment that Naruto got when it premiere and was being shown. Naruto got the custom commercials while ONe Piece got jammed in Toonami commercial moments. One Piece also got jerked around and pulled off normal airing a good amount of times if anybody remember correctly. Sometimes One Piece would be off the air for months at a time and then put back on with new episodes. While Naruto got new episodes each time. Similar treatment was done when it was on FoxBox except once they took it off the air. It stayed off the air until Cartoon Network put it back on.

One thing I want to bring up is that Cartoon Network of Australia was able to finish the Skypiea. So it had to been popular down there.

I just think that One Piece never had that right treatment to get that chance that it needed to be big. Things like art style and stuff can be get over since there are popular shows like Shin Chan who have a huge following but 'lacking' animation style. Right now it seems like Funi and Toei are doing their best to make One Piece get that right treatment. DVDs that have subbed and dubbed options. Getting the manga up to par. All they need now is to get One Piece back on TV here in the US and they be set. Which is possible seeing that Naruto is going to be on Disney XD. If Naruto does good there then Toei may think about pushing to get One Piece on Disney XD too with FUni dubs.

EDIT: I liked 4Kids Sanji. He is the only Sanji I would cosplay as. haha

Hate me all you like, but I actually like the 4kids version. YA YO YA YO YA YO!!! That theme song is one of the things 4kids did right and got me on the show. (And in the end that's 4kids job, to introduce to anime.) I like the fansubs also. Personally prefer the ya yo ya yo ya yo version though. I really have no idea why it failed so much in america. IMO, the Funi version redid voice actors that did it in. (I can honestly say that I like 4kids Luffy AND Sanji, lollipop and all.)

I find the love torwards 4kids in this thread as slightly disturbing, but nevertheless I agree with you charizard_maa, if Naruto does well on disney xd they could (But very unlikely) push to have One Piece air also. If that happens I think that that alone would cause the fanbase to grow by a considerable margin.

p.s.

Taichi, there is no way in Hell that funi is responsible for One Pieces poor popularity. The ratings for One Piece actually grew when the edited Skypeia arc aired on Cartoon network (Edited by funi of course).

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Okay, that may be biased on my part. I just like the 4kids One Piece rather than Funi One Piece. DO NOT mistaken that as a "I like 4kids better than Funi" post because that's not the case, I just liked a particular version of the anime rather than the other. I love Funimation. (DBZ, YuYu, FMA, awesome.) I just like One Piece 4kids. Like it or not, 4kids did their job and introduced me to One Piece. Afterwards, I picked up the manga and it was awesome. I wouldn't be a fan of One Piece if it wasn't for 4kids. Just saying.

YA YO YA YO YA YO!!!

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • Okay, that may be biased on my part. I just like the 4kids One Piece rather than Funi One Piece. DO NOT mistaken that as a "I like 4kids better than Funi" post because that's not the case, I just liked a particular version of the anime rather than the other. I love Funimation. (DBZ, YuYu, FMA, awesome.) I just like One Piece 4kids. Like it or not, 4kids did their job and introduced me to One Piece. Afterwards, I picked up the manga and it was awesome. I wouldn't be a fan of One Piece if it wasn't for 4kids. Just saying.

YA YO YA YO YA YO!!!

I actually started One Piece with the 4kids version also. It was great when I was younger, and don't get me wrong, the rap was probably the best part about the show, but the quality when comparing it to the japanese or the funi version is lacking in my opinion. Also, and I'm honestly curious when I ask this, but what did you like about the 4kids version better?

Back