• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One Piece in America

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Honestly. The voice actors I liked. Specifically Luffy and Sanji. I know Sanji got murdered with the accent and all but I liked the accent, with the lollipop as a censor. It added something very unusual to an unusual character. The Funi voice actors on OP just don't appeal to me. I'm sorry....lol.

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • Honestly. The voice actors I liked. Specifically Luffy and Sanji. I know Sanji got murdered with the accent and all but I liked the accent, with the lollipop as a censor. It added something very unusual to an unusual character. The Funi voice actors on OP just don't appeal to me. I'm sorry....lol.

I see. I actually hear from a lot of people that they like the 4kids Luffy more than the funi Luffy. As for Sanji, the accent definetly adds to his original character. I don't know about you, but the nasaly voice just got super annoying after a while. The lolipop I also thought was really strange for one reason; wouldn't that ruin the flavor of the food? Another question I have is what you watched after the 4kids and Manga, or did you stop watching after that?

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • OMFG....

You've GOT to be kidding me...

4KIDS ******* RAPED ONE PIECE IN THE ASS HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you people like that?!

I've lost ALL respect I had left for this board.

I hope you realize that, and I hope you're happy about that.

I KNOW I'M NOT.

>:-(

FUNIMATION IS DOING AN AWESOME JOB WITH ONE PIECE. AT LEAST THEIR NOT RAPING IT. IN FACT, THEY'RE DOING TEN TIMES BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVING THE EPISODES UNCUT AND UNEDITED WHICH IS HOW ALL ANIME SHOULD BE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who gives a **** about the voices?! I know I don't!!!!!!!!!!

The voices are FINE.

WTF is wrong with you people?!

Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Wow...

I PERSONALLY would prefer Luffy's 4Kids voice if the voice actress would have used emotion and not yelled all of the time. I think that otherwise the voice was good. I know that Colleen (FUNimation Luffy) is working her hardest, but I personally... well, I don't know. Tanaka is just the best voice for Luffy! (I believe that Luffy was one of the character's that Oda actually built around a voice actor/actress. I know that sounds ridiculous but I've read it in interviews.)

But the rest of the 4Kids voices are ranging from alright to just downright horrible, while the rest of the FUNimation voices are either perfect fits or very acceptable. (Well except for Franky, but we haven't really heard him yet... not enough anyways.)

I can not understand how anybody could even stand Sanji's 4Kids voice. It was horrible. I feel bad for the voice actor that was told to do that voice, as well. Please... Eric Vale is a much better Sanji.

4Kids only introduced the anime to America, by the way. The manga was here long before. I first saw One Piece in a Shonen Jump issue in 2003. Of course back then I didn't know what it was, but it was unedited. Zoro was Zoro, not Zolo. There was blood... And real guns. :o

I went with the anime in the end and saw more of One Piece through CN's 4Kids dub than Shonen Jump (not by much at all, though. XD), but I still will not deny that the dub was bad and hindered One Piece's popularity. I will not give them credit for anything either. I still would have watched the subbed One Piece either way. I believe I was influenced to check it out because it was so popular, not from what I saw on CN.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • The Mega Champion said:
    I've lost ALL respect I had left for this board.

I've never had any respect for this board but I've always had less respect for you. Your posts indicate why.

Anyway, One Piece doesn't air on telvision because not many people like it. Simple as that.

Naruto isn't that popular either and that's why it's on Disney XD.

Honestly, Bleach is probably the most popular show of the three since it has beaten some other popular shows such as Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Anyway, One Piece doesn't air on telvision because not many people like it. Simple as that.

One Piece's ratings were raising on CN after they started airing the FUNimation dub. However CN decided to move away from anime and One Piece was unfortunately one of the decision's first victims. Since Naruto was likely still doing better at the time they removed One Piece first.

But the fact remains that it was doing pretty well and the ratings were increasing. One Piece is actually a VERY popular series. The decision was NOT because people did not like it, because that is false.

Actually it's quite popular among casual anime fans. I can't believe anybody would say otherwise.

As I said earlier CN decided to move away from anime. However Naruto and Naruto Shippuden got free and uncut streaming online so it must still be quite popular. And seriously, Disney XD would not pick up an anime unless they thought it would give them high ratings. And Naruto Shippuden likely will. (Considering it's competing against CN Real. lol)

Honestly, Bleach is probably the most popular show of the three since it has beaten some other popular shows such as Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

I wouldn't say it is. It's just that Bleach is on Adult Swim and not necessarily Cartoon Network. Same channel, whatever, I know, but they're run by different people and the runner of CN has actually been trying to get Bleach taken off as well, apparently.

Adult Swim must have a higher opinion of anime... Otherwise Bleach would have been long gone by now.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • I've never had any respect for this board but I've always had less respect for you. Your posts indicate why.

Anyway, One Piece doesn't air on telvision because not many people like it. Simple as that.

Bleach is only the most popular of the three on TV because it is the only one that is on TV. Online is a different story.

If you got to Hulu and see which animes are getting the high rankings then you would see that Naruto (Shippuden) is one of the highest rated shows. Not too far behind is One Piece and Bleach is somewhere behind there. One Piece is actually pretty popular online and as far as I know of. Also there is no Bleach simulcast so that kind of speak for itself.

One Piece's ratings were raising on CN after they started airing the FUNimation dub. However CN decided to move away from anime and One Piece was unfortunately one of the decision's first victims. Since Naruto was likely still doing better at the time they removed One Piece first.

But the fact remains that it was doing pretty well and the ratings were increasing. One Piece is actually a VERY popular series. The decision was NOT because people did not like it, because that is false.

Actually it's quite popular among casual anime fans. I can't believe anybody would say otherwise.

As I said earlier CN decided to move away from anime. However Naruto and Naruto Shippuden got free and uncut streaming online so it must still be quite popular. And seriously, Disney XD would not pick up an anime unless they thought it would give them high ratings. And Naruto Shippuden likely will. (Considering it's competing against CN Real. lol)

I wouldn't say it is. It's just that Bleach is on Adult Swim and not necessarily Cartoon Network. Same channel, whatever, I know, but they're run by different people and the runner of CN has actually been trying to get Bleach taken off as well, apparently.

Adult Swim must have a higher opinion of anime... Otherwise Bleach would have been long gone by now.

Well you will be glad to hear that CN has nothing to do with what is shown on Adult Swim. They may be on the same channel but CN and AS are consider two different channels. NOtice that the logo on the bottom right hand corner changes to Adult Swim instead of staying as CN?

The only way Bleach and the rest of the anime on AS will leave is unless a lot of CN people take over AS and decide that. Still as of right now there is no movement to get rid of anime on AS since that is one of their highest rating items. Most of the anime on AS get higher ratings then the stuff that they show during the week from what I am told.

Also I actually don't mind the voices. I like a lot of the dub voices that are working on the FUni dub. All of the VAs that are working on the Funi dub have been approved by the Japanese producers so if they are okay with these voices then I guess there is no room for me to complain.

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • Wow, were having a heated discussion here, eh? If 4kids knew they would cause so much contoversy among the fans then maybe they would have given a second thought about cancelling their dub?

Anyway, I think that if 4kids did anything it was introduce people to anime, not give them a true anime experience. I'm pretty tolerant of the 4kids version for just that reason. If they were still dubbing One Piece now, I'd be pretty damn pissed about now. I can look back and laugh at it now since One Piece I think is being treated fairly now. The only negative outcome I can see of the 4kids version is that it made some people completly abandon the series. Maybe more people would be willing to try One Piece if they had seen the better version first (The funi dub or the japanese dub, both are about equal in quality). I don't think that 4kids is even relative to the argument anymore purely because they stopped dubbing a few years ago and most people have long since stopped caring about it. I'm sure that anyone who saw it doesn't care anymore.

So why is everyone still so angry about 4kids? They're done with, we will never see them again, so take a chill pill and find another reason it's not popular outside of OMG!!!!! 4kids ******* sux! WHY DID THEY HAXOR OP!!!!!!

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • When I first read the manga when I bought an issue of USA Shonen Jump back in 2003, I was hooked onto the manga, and that's what got me into One Piece, but then, a few months later, 4Kids dubbed it, and like everyone else, I was peed off, Funimation saved it eventually, thank god. Either way, I love OP, and I think about it's popuklarity in america never went well from the start, especially when 4Kids dubbed it, and it went downhill.......

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Envy II said:
    One Piece's ratings were raising on CN after they started airing the FUNimation dub. However CN decided to move away from anime and One Piece was unfortunately one of the decision's first victims.

Cartoon Network picked up Bakugan and its following series and still have Pokémon and air Yu-Gi-Oh! so no, they aren't going away from it.

Provide the initial ratings and how much they were increasing by.

And exactly how many people are "casual" fans? Not many.

As I said earlier CN decided to move away from anime.

Not really.

And seriously, Disney XD would not pick up an anime unless they thought it would give them high ratings. And Naruto Shippuden likely will. (Considering it's competing against CN Real. lol)

You do know that CN Real's show have increased in ratings, right? And you do know that Cartoon Network will beat anything Disney XD airs due to sheer numbers alone, right?

Adult Swim must have a higher opinion of anime...

Only Bleach. [as] doesn't advertise any other Japanese animé other than that one show.

I'll reply to that charizard person later.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Cartoon Network picked up Bakugan and its following series and still have Pokémon and air Yu-Gi-Oh! so no, they aren't going away from it.

Oh sorry, I mean generic monster battling anime aside. They've moved away from other kinds of anime.

Provide the initial ratings and how much they were increasing by.

"In an interview with Mike McFarland he said that ratings have slowly but steadily increased, but exact ratings are currently unknown."

https://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Cartoon_Network

I know that's a Wiki, but it'll have to do. XD

And exactly how many people are "casual" fans? Not many.

You're kidding right? The casuals are the vast majority.

The casuals are the reason Nintendo is doing so well right now.

Not really.

As I said, generic monster battling anime aside CN does not care about anime anymore.

You do know that CN Real's show have increased in ratings, right?

No and that just ruined my day if it's true. People should not be watching that crap. D:

And you do know that Cartoon Network will beat anything Disney XD airs due to sheer numbers alone, right?

I was only saying that seeing as it's competing against CN Real, there will be no real competition between fans on what to watch.

Only Bleach. [as] doesn't advertise any other Japanese animé other than that one show.

Adult Swim still treats anime way better than CN.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • Wow, were having a heated discussion here, eh? If 4kids knew they would cause so much contoversy among the fans then maybe they would have given a second thought about cancelling their dub?

Anyway, I think that if 4kids did anything it was introduce people to anime, not give them a true anime experience. I'm pretty tolerant of the 4kids version for just that reason. If they were still dubbing One Piece now, I'd be pretty damn pissed about now. I can look back and laugh at it now since One Piece I think is being treated fairly now. The only negative outcome I can see of the 4kids version is that it made some people completly abandon the series. Maybe more people would be willing to try One Piece if they had seen the better version first (The funi dub or the japanese dub, both are about equal in quality). I don't think that 4kids is even relative to the argument anymore purely because they stopped dubbing a few years ago and most people have long since stopped caring about it. I'm sure that anyone who saw it doesn't care anymore.

So why is everyone still so angry about 4kids? They're done with, we will never see them again, so take a chill pill and find another reason it's not popular outside of OMG!!!!! 4kids ******* sux! WHY DID THEY HAXOR OP!!!!!!
    The thing is that 4Kids will forever be blame as the reason why One Piece never hit it big in the US back when it was given it's first chance. So many changes happen between the original to the dubbed that it turned people away. As one person said earlier, they loved the One Piece manga in Shonen Jump but found the anime (4Kids) dub something to dislike. We may never see them touch One Piece ever again but the stain that they left on ONe Piece has left it's mark. Just think about how much more popular One Piece would be if Funi had the dubbing rights from the beginning. We may never know but it would be a good bet to say that One Piece would be in a much better position then it is right now where it is climbing the ladder of popularity.

To expand on what Envy is saying concerning anime and CN, currently the anime on CN is being treated badly. As far as I know of, Pokemon, Bakugan and Yu-gi-oh 5Ds are the only animes on CN and they show them on their Saturday morning block that gets little to almost no advertising for. Compare the advertising that TWF get compare to HarHarThursdays and CNREal and you see that there isn't much. Then count how many commercials you see for Pokemon, Bakugan and YGO 5Ds for the TWF. None right? As far as I know, I have never seen any commercials for YGO 5Ds and I only see Pokemon commercials for whenever they do a marathons. The way CN publicize their shows is a good indication of how they treat their shows.

If you want any more proof, look at how the lack of publicizing did to Naruto and Toonami. Nobody knew what was happening or when Naruto was being shown and now look at where they are.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Envy II said:
    Oh sorry, I mean generic monster battling anime aside. They've moved away from other kinds of anime.

Well, those shows are shonen like Naruto so they aren't moving away from those types of shows. Maybe they're moving away from Shonen Jump.

"In an interview with Mike McFarland he said that ratings have slowly but steadily increased, but exact ratings are currently unknown."

I'll take a wiki as long as it has credible sources listed. With that quotation though, room for interpretation is left open because the ratings aren't known. Maybe Cartoon Network cancelled it because the ratings were low and weren't increasing fast enough or it could've been the unfair opposite.

You're kidding right? The casuals are the vast majority.

The vast majority are the small minority who watch cartoons though. That's why Japanese animé has been reduced in stores and not many are airing or being picked up at all.

The casuals are the reason Nintendo is doing so well right now.

Are you talking about their games? Many of their games are based on generational appeal unlike many television shows that depend on a fan base.

As I said, generic monster battling anime aside CN does not care about anime anymore.

Japanese animé aren't making a lot of money right now. They have to go with what's hot right now.

No and that just ruined my day if it's true. People should not be watching that crap. D:

I watch some of that crap.

I was only saying that seeing as it's competing against CN Real, there will be no real competition between fans on what to watch.

In your opinion.

Adult Swim still treats anime way better than CN.

I disagree. [as] airs their aquisitions at unreasonable hours, an unreasonable night, and don't advertise the night very often. Cartoon Network at least repeats their shows during the week and air marathons.

YouLose

You're going to lose
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2009
    WTF?!

Leave this GREAT show ALONE.

It DESERVES to be aired.

Giraffles <3

podɐʇǝɯ
    Years
  • I'm honestly going to say it's the 4kids dub. I mean because I watched that (or tried to at least) but couldn't get into it, then I watched the Japanese version and was like "Holy crap, this is amazing!". I love the humor as well and the art style is unique and isn't copy and paste like some other animes and fits the story really well. Also One Piece is the only anime that has almost made me cry like every time they do a flashback of there lives. I don't think it should be aired on American television, just watch the Japanese version, it's so much better than any dub out there.

ÇyänïdëÉX

Dr.banana
    Years
  • Seeing one piece on the television was fun. I was pretty excited to see it on the weekends. When they took it off i got pretty sad because i was like damn what happened there? I mean we got pretty crappy shows on CN but i mean one piece? In any case, this thread has a lot of posts and i have read any of them cept for some angry ones so bear with me.

I think part of it had to do with the fact that Toonami was cancelled or stopped and thats where it was being shown. In any case, one piece has become my top fav anime of all time and i guess it was for the best for it to be cancelled. I keep in touch with it every week by watching the subbed episodes released every week unless stated.

It is a great series, i guess pirates don't appeal much to american kids?

Back