• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One Piece

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    For those of you living under a rock in the centre of the Earth in an alternate universe and don't know what One Piece is, allow the One Piece wiki to explain.

ONE PIECE (ワンピース Wan Pīsu?) is a pirate adventure manga written and drawn by Eiichiro Oda, created in August 1997. The manga is known to employ colorful and creative motifs that are taken from classic mythology, politics and musical aspects. It is also mixed with pirate lore and shonen formula.

IMO, One Piece is one of the greatest anime/manga of all time. It's got a little bit of everything for almost every audience. It's like the anime equivalent of Dragon Quest, its appeal is undeniable (with the Japanese anyway). It's smart, it's clever, the author knows what he's doing, at worst, a very well rounded series, at best a masterpiece and a modern classic that will never be forgotten.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    One Piece is indeed a very well put anime. It has small fillers, but I looove it still. But Dragon Ball still passes it. Since DB was my first Anime, and Dragon Ball Also influence Oda to make Luffy, since Luffy has most of Goku's personalities. He did admire Toriyama's work. But I love One Piece. Dragon Ball is my over all-time anime. But My list of anime One Piece is like 2nd on my list next to Detective Conan. C:

Years
    Wow, I never thought of One Piece as Dragon Quest!

One Piece is indeed amazing, Oda never fails to surprise his fans. Yeah, we can never expect what he's going to do XD.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Wow, I never thought of One Piece as Dragon Quest!

One Piece is indeed amazing, Oda never fails to surprise his fans. Yeah, we can never expect what he's going to do XD.
    Isnt Dragon Quest a game? not an anime?
    Does he mean Dragon BALL? Since OP got influenced by Dragon Ball.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    He would be talking about popularity wise I would think. One Piece is the anime counterpart in terms of popularity to the Dragon Quest series, which is about as popular as Final Fantasy. One Piece iirc is the most popular manga in Japan, so it should do well, Eiichiro Oda is a genius in this field. There's been so many memorable moments which are almost tear jerking, from their goodbye to Vivi in Alabasta to the 500th chapter reveal in the manga.
    Spoiler:

I wouldn't open that unless you know past the Sabaody Archipelago arc.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    One Piece is my favorite anime/manga as well. I started watching about 7 years ago off a whim because I wanted to get into a lengthy series, lol. The colorful and vast world Oda has created is pretty amazing. Couple that with the vivid characters and stories and you have yourself the most popular manga of all time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    I admit to having a relatively mediocre expectation about this anime before getting to watch it. However, saying that I have a rather low expectation proved to be an understatement. One Piece is rapidly becoming one of my favorite anime shows, sweeping aside the likes of Code Geass and Eden of the East, which I consider incredible shows.

I am currently reading the manga.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Even without nostalgia goggles I'm enjoying this show so far, ok the humour is hit and miss and mid arc filler sucks but 80 eps in and not regretting starting at all.

Also, it took a whil to adjust but after a while I started to like the character design, well perhaps not Usopp bu the rest anyway.

Years
    I went about 20 episodes in a couple years ago and stopped watching for whatever reason. Just yesterday I decided to start it up again and it truly is fantastic. I hear it gets better later on, so I guess that's something to look forward to.

Usopp is an awesome character. He's hilarious and actually human. .-.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    He's not just human, infact his alter ego is a Superhero! :D
    Actually there's one bit where I'm up to where Usopp's human-ness is the key to winning the battle. Because he's so down all the time and not overpowered is the reason he can win said fight.

Years
    He's not just human, infact his alter ego is a Superhero! :D
    Actually there's one bit where I'm up to where Usopp's human-ness is the key to winning the battle. Because he's so down all the time and not overpowered is the reason he can win said fight.
    His human-ness is what I like about his character. Him and Nami are pretty powerful people on a crew of monsters. Physically, he's one of the weakest in the bunch, and he reacts to the crazy things the Straw Hats sees like any normal human would, by screaming and/or running. Personally, I think his usual cowardice makes his acts of bravery so much better!
    Plus comic-relief characters are just awesome. :P His backstory isn't too abnormal either, he just comes from a small quiet town. The thing about his father going off to sea and him losing his mother when he was little is terribly sad though. All the Straw Hats have pretty tragic pasts. ;(

toptheworld

Crash Addict
    Years
    I don't even understand how some people don't like this manga. Alright, maybe the art is a bit of a turnoff (though I personally adore it), but the plot itself is written by a GENIUS. Most anime/mangas have intense cliches, but OP avoids this so so so much. You never know what might happen, and you're always so surprised about what happens. Also, the emotional effects it has on you......
    ACE
    TT-TT

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Just the fact that after, how long has it been, eleven years(?), Oda is still able to come up with original ideas and create an extraordinary and vast world in the process is amazing really.

One Piece deserves it's place as one of the best manga/anime's out there. As already stated, it appeals to so many audiences.

Also, Usopp for the win. Just sayin' ^^

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
    I don't even understand how some people don't like this manga. Alright, maybe the art is a bit of a turnoff (though I personally adore it), but the plot itself is written by a GENIUS. Most anime/mangas have intense cliches, but OP avoids this so so so much. You never know what might happen, and you're always so surprised about what happens. Also, the emotional effects it has on you......
    ACE
    TT-TT
    I completely agree with this. The story is great. I was hugely impressed by the end of the Impel Down arc, imagine how great the end of the New World arc will be?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Almost a couple of months of marathoning has well and truly sealed this show as one of my favourites, gonna be so annoying having to ait for episodes weekly when I get up to date.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
    For the most part, I LOVE One Piece. It is currently the anime I am most interested in after Pocket Monsters. I'm through ep 422 now and hope to catch up to Japan before the end of the year if possible. Chopper has a stronghold on my heart as one of my favorite anime characters ever. I have three plushes of him (one with him being carried on Luffy's head), the big One Piece OST release from not long ago that has the majority of the BGMS (super musical score) on it, a Chopper t-shirt, a Chopper fan (the kind you wave at yourself, not an electric one), and a couple great pictures of it I printed and hang on my wall. Waiting for Funimation to release more season DVD box sets, especially where Chopper comes in.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I must admit I came into the series a little late. I just started watching this year. A friend of mine had nagged me into watching it. At first I didn't want to. I had seen a the first five episodes some time before, but it didn't really interest me. It wasn't until I got past the Alabasta arc that I was really hooked. I love the way Oda just keeps you on the edge of your seat even if you already know what's coming next. He truly is a genius.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I didn't think much of it at first, for the typical reason people don't give the show a chance, the animation style and character designs. I think Oda's style is suited better for animation than it is for comic form, which I guess is another reason I never got into One Piece for ages, the manga just turned me off. It's also interesting to see the visual evolution in the anime's style over the years, at some point they stopped using the cross hatching and went for traditional shadowing and that was a bit of a shock at first.

My brother pestered me into watching it for the first time two years ago or so and we stopped watching after the Arlong Park part of the series. I picked the show back up earlier this year and have just finished the Water Seven story arc, sooo I'm a good 260 episodes into the show now. It's undoubtedly an amazing show with compelling stories and endearing characters, probably the only show I could watch for so long without getting bored. Unlike most never ending shounen titles, it doesn't always fall back on fights to pad out episodes. It's a true traditional romance story in every sense of the term.

Also, Brook and Chopper > everyone.

Back