• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen One-pokemon-only Play Through

blendaz

Yo, Champ in the making!
Years
  • Hey guys ... i got through the whole Johto region (i just smashed Lance) with only my starter ... totodile :]

I wanted to ask you if you have ever done such a thing ... did you enjoy the adventure? If you did give your thoughts here :]
    And remember to tell the name of the pokemon you used :P

PS: Of course i had some pokemons for HM moves ... but i never used them unless there was a double battle xD

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • Hey guys ... i got through the whole Johto region (i just smashed Lance) with only my starter ... totodile :]

I wanted to ask you if you have ever done such a thing ... did you enjoy the adventure? If you did give your thoughts here :]

PS: Of course i had some pokemons for HM moves ... but i never used them unless there was a double battle xD

I did that with Togepi (who for the most of it was Togetic) that I got from that egg in Violet City... I was a little disappointed because it got a little too strong so no one was really that much of a challenge at all :/

Detox

I always do it with a Furret or some sorry crap like that. Makes the game more fun IMO.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2010
    i usually hate my starter so i catch some rendom up pokemon then release my starter and complete the game with that

Years
    • VA
    • Seen May 13, 2014
    If you can get your Feraligatr Swords Dance, you can easily sweep the game. I haven't really done this myself, I prefer to use a whole team at a low level to beat the game. Not sure how low I'll be able to stay this time but hopefully it will be somewhat of a challenge (probably won't).

blendaz

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
  • Well i decided to beat the Kanto region only with feraligatr too ... its quite easy for now ... im going to pewter city :]
    Only Brok,Blaine and Green left ... and then Red.

BTW there is something funny ... i have exactly 13h and 13mins gamepay, i have 13 pokemon in the pokedex, and i have 13 badges! LOL!!!

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years

Did it twice in crystal once with totodile and once with typhlosion. Seriously, the games are easier if you concentrate on just one pokemon, only the chance of getting defeated is bigger .. >.>; I mean come on my feraligatr was lv 75 when I finnally got to Pyce. Seriously, you rush throughout the game if you take only one pokemon with you.. :l

blendaz

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
  • Yay! I beat Red!! But i just couldn't of done it without the help of my Mewtwo and Ho-Oh! Aaand my snorlax xD
    Total hours of gameplay after Red: 17h 17mins!
    My Feraligatr is lv71, Mewtwo is lv70, Ho-Oh is lv70, Snorlax is lv50, Lugia is lv45, Dragonair is lv46.
    That was my team ... now i will go for a Kanto starter :P

Roxas90

That Awkward Kid
    Years
  • I have never not completed a Pokemon game this way. I actually have specific starters that I use in each generation; I only use Bulbasaur in 1st generation, Totodile in 2nd, Mudkip in 3rd, and Chimchar in 4th.

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years
  • I have never not completed a Pokemon game this way. I actually have specific starters that I use in each generation; I only use Bulbasaur in 1st generation, Totodile in 2nd, Mudkip in 3rd, and Chimchar in 4th.

I always picked fire, just because they were the coolest of the three in my opinion :x every game I started with fire (except for pearl where I first started with piplup then I resetted the game and redid it with chimchar..)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I only did a One-Pokémon-Play through with Silver & Crystal and that was both with Feraligatr. I found the game relatively easy with the low level Gyms and Elite members, but I didn't enjoy it as much personally. I have always preferred training an entire in-game team to use, so this time around unlike Crystal I'll be using a full team of six, or at least five for the game in SoulSilver.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • I remember completing Silver on one save using only quagsire! It knew Hydro Pump, Eathquake, Body Slam and Surf! I still bet red at mount silver (though I was almost pwned by his venusaur).

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • I haven't done that on HGSS before. When it comes out in English I'm going to do it with a Meganium.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    When I first played Gold that's pretty much what I did with my starter Typhlosion, except I had 5 other pokemon in my party just so that I could use revives whenever my main fighter fainted. Nowadays, I try to balance things out, though.

Back