• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen One-pokemon-only Play Through

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    I do this on every game. lol I always go through with my starter the entire game. Then I raise a team once I've beaten it (for WiFi/GLC/Battle Revolution/CXD/Colosseum/Stadium).

hyde9318

Mystic Gym Leader
    Years
  • havent played HGSS yet, but i am guessing i may do the same thing i always do in pokemon.

Blue: Squirtle
    Red: Pidgey
    Gold: Totodile
    Crystal: Mareep
    Ruby: Treecko
    Emerald: Wingull
    Platinum: Porygon (Z)

I seem to always have one pokemon much higher level than any other.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    I must say I have never used just one Pokemon throughout the entire game. I always end up balancing my team, I think its better that way.

blendaz

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
  • @Charizard - it sure is! But it's also fun to do it with one pokemon. You should try it out ;]
    Anyways ... i did it only in HG and in Platinum (with a Starly) and it was quite fun :]

Thanks for replying everybody :P

Soul_The_Heartbroken_Shiny_Umbreon

>>shiny.umbreon.lover
    Years
  • Hey guys ... i got through the whole Johto region (i just smashed Lance) with only my starter ... totodile :]

I wanted to ask you if you have ever done such a thing ... did you enjoy the adventure? If you did give your thoughts here :]
    And remember to tell the name of the pokemon you used :P

PS: Of course i had some pokemons for HM moves ... but i never used them unless there was a double battle xD

I went through Platnium with a Shiny Umbreon

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    i've done that will all the pokemon games ive played... i have caught some pokemon but then i cant be botherd raising em

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I would do a one pokemon play through if it wasn't for HMs.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2012
    my friend did it with a bulbasaur and i did it with a meowth/ persian

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I did it once in Redfire by the time I beat the eightift gym my Nidoqueen was level 67. and we rushed through the league togethor...

Phaux

Legend Hunter
    Years
  • Tyranitar in Crystal, that was the first time I beat the whole game with one pokemon... I miss that Tyranitar...
    In Emerald I used Blaziken the whole way, got to level 100 before the E4.
    In Firered I used a Nidoking, which was very easy really, Nidoking is still my favorite poison type.
    More recently I used Infernape to go through Pearl.

Years
  • I believe with the exception of HM moves, this is how I got through the Gen I games.

I used an over-leveled Venasaur and Blastoise for Red and Blue respectively. Any game past that I learned that making a balanced team was more effective (even if it did take a little longer). Just my preference though.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • Never tried this. Simply because there are too many pokemon that I like and want to raise...

But maybe I'll do this sometimes. With a Houndoom for example.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I always do it with a Furret or some sorry crap like that. Makes the game more fun IMO.

Crap???Furret???Man, it's probably one of the best normal-types native to Johto!!!

Although i get ur point. Hell, i took on the re-levelled E4 on Platinum with my Electivire at lv.65

Back