• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Online At The Same Time?

Years
  • So, to have the chance of getting a Pokémon to appear in the Friend Safari with a Hidden Ability, you and the other person needs to have been online at the same time at least once. My question is:

How do you check that you've been online at the same time as someone else? My guess is that if their trainer character appears like this, you've been online at the same time:
    Online At The Same Time?

If they appear like this and they have a silhouetted question mark character, however, they haven't:
    Online At The Same Time?

Is that correct? Because no where confirms anything at all...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I dunno. I have a lot of people with the faces lit up but my Trace Ralts and I have not found any Hidden Ability ones on there.

If there is a face that means they are playing Pokemon as far as I've been able to tell seeing as the ones with the marked out faces are my friends that do not play Pokemon.

I know once you get the third Pokemon unlocked you've been online with them at least once as you both have to be online to update the info for the other person showing that they beat the Elite 4 and have unlocked the third Pokemon.

I've been online with Alexial and none of her Pokemon have given me any Hidden Abilities.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
  • I dunno. I have a lot of people with the faces lit up but my Trace Ralts and I have not found any Hidden Ability ones on there.

If there is a face that means they are playing Pokemon as far as I've been able to tell seeing as the ones with the marked out faces are my friends that do not play Pokemon.

I know once you get the third Pokemon unlocked you've been online with them at least once as you both have to be online to update the info for the other person showing that they beat the Elite 4 and have unlocked the third Pokemon.

I've been online with Alexial and none of her Pokemon have given me any Hidden Abilities.

For every friend you have on your console you will have a Friend Safari, even if they don't own or play Pokemon. When your friend is online at the same time as you [playing Pokemon with the Internet on] and have defeated the Elite Four a Image of their Character will appear.

Once the Image appears you have unlocked the Safari's third Pokemon and the ability to capture the Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities. Once this Image as appeared it doesn't matter if that Friend is online or not once it's their the third Pokemon and Hidden Ability Pokemon will remain.

Even if they remove you as a Friend you will still have their Safari as long as you don't remove them also.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    For every friend you have on your console you will have a Friend Safari, even if they don't own or play Pokemon. When your friend is online at the same time as you [playing Pokemon with the Internet on] and have defeated the Elite Four a Image of their Character will appear.

Once the Image appears you have unlocked the Safari's third Pokemon and the ability to capture the Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities. Once this Image as appeared it doesn't matter if that Friend is online or not once it's their the third Pokemon and Hidden Ability Pokemon will remain.

Even if they remove you as a Friend you will still have their Safari as long as you don't remove them also.

I have faces for people I never have been online with. The only people that do not have faces are my friends that do not play the games.

Like I have Went on my Friend List. I've never been on while he was on, his face is lit up. Same for Ausdurial and EternalAnna. I've never had them on while I was playing with online enabled. They all have pictures on their characters. I recently added a new friend and have not encountered him online yet but his avatar was visible on his friend safari as soon as I registered him.

My first time encountering Mac was today as well. I unlocked his third Pokemon but before then I had never seen him online and none of his Pokemon had Hidden Abilities but I had his avatar's picture on my list.

I have 4 blank pictures and 3 of them I know for a fact do not play Pokemon. I don't believe the fourth has either as I think they made a comment about something similar to this I posted elsewhere saying they hadn't gotten it yet or something.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    So, to have the chance of getting a Pokémon to appear in the Friend Safari with a Hidden Ability, you and the other person needs to have been online at the same time at least once. My question is:

How do you check that you've been online at the same time as someone else? My guess is that if their trainer character appears like this, you've been online at the same time:
    Online At The Same Time?

If they appear like this and they have a silhouetted question mark character, however, they haven't:
    Online At The Same Time?

Is that correct? Because no where confirms anything at all...

This is correct. As soon as the face appears, there is a possibility of finding the hidden abilities. Anyone who's said otherwise has just had bad luck.

I have 75+ friend safaris and this has been the case for me.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    This is correct. As soon as the face appears, there is a possibility of finding the hidden abilities. Anyone who's said otherwise has just had bad luck.

I have 75+ friend safaris and this has been the case for me.

Not true at all. I've had faces appear for all of my friends with the games. When I actually went online with them I got Hidden Ability Pokemon appear left and right.

My first time encountering Mac online was today, got his third Pokemon, and every encounter I had in his Safari had Pokemon with Hidden abilities. I always had his picture before this.

I just tested it out with a spare 3DS we have. I put my copy of X in it and when we registered one another I went onto my Y and the avatar from my X appears as an image on my Y version, though neither have gone online yet.

Years
  • It's too late here to test this out now (I have to go to sleep soon), but I think you have to be connected to the internet to find Pokemon with hidden ability in the friend safari, in addition to meeting the requirements for finding them. If you've encountered a hidden ability Pokemon while being offline, then feel free to debunk my theory.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    It's too late here to test this out now (I have to go to sleep soon), but I think you have to be connected to the internet to find Pokemon with hidden ability in the friend safari, in addition to meeting the requirements for finding them. If you've encountered a hidden ability Pokemon while being offline, then feel free to debunk my theory.

That's the only requirement I know of for Hidden Abilities as well...though the images don't tell you if you've been online with them or not. They just list the people that have the game (as far as I've seen).

I was confused before as the way the guide book and in game puts it you both have to be online to get hidden ability Pokemon, but I can run into them offline so long as I've been online with someone at least once.

But I can run into Hidden ability Pokemon while not online. Majority of the ones I've caught were while I was at school since I can't get internet on my 3DS there so I do something else since I can't Wonder Trade or GTS Trade.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Not true at all. I've had faces appear for all of my friends with the games. When I actually went online with them I got Hidden Ability Pokemon appear left and right.

My first time encountering Mac online was today, got his third Pokemon, and every encounter I had in his Safari had Pokemon with Hidden abilities. I always had his picture before this.

I just tested it out with a spare 3DS we have. I put my copy of X in it and when we registered one another I went onto my Y and the avatar from my X appears as an image on my Y version, though neither have gone online yet.

I don't understand what your argument is. Are you trying to say that you've been online with people before and yet Hidden Abilities still don't appear in their friend zone?

Anyway, I've never had an experience where every wild pokemon I found had a Hidden Ability, regardless of whether the person was online or not. If that happened, I think it was merely to do with chance.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't understand what your argument is. Are you trying to say that you've been online with people before and yet Hidden Abilities still don't appear in their friend zone?

Anyway, I've never had an experience where every wild pokemon I found had a Hidden Ability, regardless of whether the person was online or not. If that happened, I think it was merely to do with chance.

I said the picture appearing in place of the shadow with the ? does not mean you've been online with them. From what I've seen, them having the Shadowed ? avatar means they aren't playing the game. Everyone I have on my friend list that plays the game has an avatar that looks like their character and more than half of them I have not been online with yet.

Like Mac example I posted. I've had his picture since I've added his Friend Code. Only new things I've gotten when we were both online is unlocking Hidden Ability Pokemon and unlocking the third Pokemon if they've beaten the E4. Both require both people being online, but the images don't indicate whether you've been online with them.

I've always had everyone's avatar picture, with exception to people who don't have the game yet.

I have three friends I've passed on campus who we traded codes locally appear as avatars on our Safari Hunts. I never see them online and only see them when I'm at school through offline Passerby mode. The avatar doesn't mean you were online at the same time as them.

Actually quite a few change when I'm offline and later go online as well. Like they'll look one way before I go online, then when I go online my list shuffles and some avatars change because the members changed their avatars.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I said the picture appearing in place of the shadow with the ? does not mean you've been online with them. From what I've seen, them having the Shadowed ? avatar means they aren't playing the game. Everyone I have on my friend list that plays the game has an avatar that looks like their character and more than half of them I have not been online with yet.

Like Mac example I posted. I've had his picture since I've added his Friend Code. Only new things I've gotten when we were both online is unlocking Hidden Ability Pokemon and unlocking the third Pokemon if they've beaten the E4. Both require both people being online, but the images don't indicate whether you've been online with them.

I've always had everyone's avatar picture, with exception to people who don't have the game yet.

I have three friends I've passed on campus who we traded codes locally appear as avatars on our Safari Hunts. I never see them online and only see them when I'm at school through offline Passerby mode. The avatar doesn't mean you were online at the same time as them.

Actually quite a few change when I'm offline and later go online as well. Like they'll look one way before I go online, then when I go online my list shuffles and some avatars change because the members changed their avatars.

All I know is that on my copy of the game, I have the "?" until I've been playing at the same time as them. Their face shows up on my online friends list on the bottom screen. After that point in time, once the face shows, I can find hidden abilities in their friend zone. The face continues to show from that point forward in the safari zone list.

I guess I can't speak for your copy though. x.x

Last edited:

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • Being online isn't the only thing that matters, being close to eachother also counts. The PSS recognizes both local and global wireless.

Back