• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Online Dating?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • Long distance relationships can be both taxing and rewarding. The internet nowadays makes it both easier to stay in contact with loved ones, and meet new people you probably wouldn't have met otherwise!

Have you ever done online dating before? (Was it spontaneous over a forum or site, or did you do it through a specific dating website?)

If not, would you ever consider doing online dating? Or would you ever consider a long distance internet relationship?

Why/ Why not?

Optional: Do you think it works/ (and if you want to get a bit personal) Did it work for you?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I wouldn't say I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't prefer it. Sure, you can see them through webcam and what not. But it just isn't the same as actually being in their presence

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Have you ever done online dating before?
    Yep, with a person I met on this site actually! I'm still open to it, sure, but the idea just seems a tad depressing.

Optional: Do you think it works/ (and if you want to get a bit personal) Did it work for you?
    I think it works plenty well. I'd even go as far as to say that more online relationships work out than offline, statistically. But some people just can't stand being thousands of miles apart, and it's totally understandable.

and lol nah, didn't work for me, but it wasn't because of the distance thing or because we had our differences. I knew it wasn't gonna work out though.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I really don't like the idea of online dating, especially finding people on sites specifically for dating. Maybe if I met them through gaming or a forum that isn't about dating(like PC), I would consider it, but I would really prefer to do things in person. That said, I have asked someone out online before, but he said no, so I never actually have dated online.

Years
  • Online relationships are definitely tough, though they're as rewarding as they are hard if both parties can deal with the distance until they're able to be together. I've only dated twice before and both of those relationships started online. The first one ended because the two of us were really immature as 16-17 year olds and couldn't handle the distance (it was a bad relationship anyway). :P My current one is going great and we just hit the big one year mark a few days ago. :3 Personally, I say it works best for people 18+, maybe a bit older.

I honestly don't think online dating is good for people if they're not really that patient. It can get very depressing, especially for younger people who depend on their parents, since there's a big chance you won't even be able to visit your partner for years.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Yes, online dating can work and can lead to successful relationships.It is a bit difficult for people because they cant see each other physically and are far away from each other. I feel as long as they are committed and maintain a lot of contact with each other than it can work. Long Distance isnt ideal indefinately, there needs to be some kind of end date in sight to close the distance if the relationship is serious and committed. I say if you can deal with the distance and are committed to the other person, great.

Years
  • I've never dated online before. If it were the right person, I'd consider it. I'd rather just date offline, though, at least for my first relationship. I don't even have friends irl, so I'd rather have a relationship in person right now.

I think they can work if both parties are willing. My BFF met his fiance online and they're still doing great from what I understand. :D

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • Hehehe...coming from me, I think they're fine depending on how both of you view it. I mean, I've been on both horrifying and awful ones......but I've actually been on heavenly ones where I'm still friends with them, which surprises me.

Unfortunately, a few are now my enemies, but oh well, life runs that way for me.

In all honesty, I just thinks it depends on how far and how willing they are. Sure, I have a few friends who were on the opposite sides of the world and it worked out fine.....but I've made mistakes here and there, and basically it was like a rollercoaster for me. Like Cirno stated, it would take years before I would get to see that special someone, if they aren't in the same state or country as me.

Ayselipera

I think you need the right personality for it. If you're someone who needs constant attention, really clingy, worries a lot, and has trust issues then it would be difficult. I don't even really think it's that hard to begin with. It can be sad/lonely at times, but I think if it's a good relationship than the good will outweigh the bad anyways.

I always notice a lot of people say they would never get involved in one and I know I used to say the same thing, but it's really not something that you plan, it just happens. AND AS CLICHE AS IT SOUNDS I think if it is meant to be then you will eventually get to be with that person.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I've had an online boyfriend before, but just the once. It was definitely a great experience when we were happy, but I think I'd be hesitant to do it again because it really isn't the same as being in each other's presence and there are pitfalls in an online relationship (particularly if you're in different timezones) that can eventually eat at it.

So needless to say it didn't work out between us, but I did love the guy and still do (we're still friends now) so I think overall even though the romantic part didn't pan out, I'd call it a success!

But yeah, just because it didn't work out for us doesn't mean it can't work out for anybody else. There are many cases of online relationships that have resulted in people meeting up and marriage and kids and the whole shabang.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    It didn't work for me. I need affection. Like, simple as that. The emotional aspect is most important, but a physical contact of some sort makes it for me. The luxury of being able to see him when I'm able is what makes it comforting to me. With online dating I didn't get that, and probably won't ever do it past the one time I did it.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Given that I'm not gonna date anytime soon (it's just forever alone, not morals) I can't tell you personally what it's like, but I can hypothesize that because I'm so much better of a person online that once you meet me irl yer' gonna break up with me soon.

Years
  • ^ Nick has a point.

It's not for everyone, but they can work provide that you graduate from the laptop and meet face to face at some point. Humans need other human interaction, shockingly enough. But a relationship founded upon nothing but a glowing screen isn't genuine.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    MATT AND ASHLEY FOREVER <3

But it can work, imo. I've seen long distance relationships firsthand go really well and really, really, just not well at all :/ Both parties need to be 100% committed and it takes so, so, much trust and communication. If you're not willing to be trusting or work to keep in contact, it's gonna be a bumpy road. I like to see it go well though :) Quite a few of my friends have met their SO online and it's refreshing to see it go well.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
  • Kelsey, Nick and Sammi: Thank you! It is still going well, over 5 years later. If both parties are willing to make it work, I see no reason why an online relationship couldn't work out for everyone involved. It perhaps takes more commitment than a regular relationship at first, but if you're willing to work hard, I think it's just as good as meeting in person.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    If the two people are committed to making it work, there's no reason for it not to. I am open to the idea but I also find it kind of depressing, and would have a hard time coping with the distance. I've had crushes on people whom I've met online, and even those didn't end very well.

I'm just going to stick to real life dating.

Years
  • It never works, trust me I know.

/thread

Ashley and Matthew beg to differ.

Kelsey, Nick and Sammi: Thank you! It is still going well, over 5 years later. If both parties are willing to make it work, I see no reason why an online relationship couldn't work out for everyone involved. It perhaps takes more commitment than a regular relationship at first, but if you're willing to work hard, I think it's just as good as meeting in person.

Ya'll beat me to it; was going to say these two!

People who say 'it can't work' over long distance are wrong, because it can. It is just your personal preference that says it can't work.

I have tried it and I would try it again, but only with someone who I completely click with. Online relationships are harder, you don't have that physical connection and it can be hard for some people.
    I am not really like that, sure I would miss them in person, but I like space and for the start of the relationship, that is perfect.

For it to work, you have to be very clear from the beginning how you both feel, don't let feelings be compressed or it will be ten times worse, because you won't have that person next to you.

That is just how I feel.​

Years
  • I think you need the right personality for it. If you're someone who needs constant attention, really clingy, worries a lot, and has trust issues then it would be difficult. I don't even really think it's that hard to begin with. It can be sad/lonely at times, but I think if it's a good relationship than the good will outweigh the bad anyways.

This is pretty much my opinion. If both people have the personality for it then it'll have the same chances of working out as an offline relationship would. If not then it's probably going to go downhill pretty fast.
    I've been in two online relationships though, both being spontaneous. I don't think I'd ever try dating websites as from what I've seen in the gay community they're mostly used for hooking up and one night stands and such which isn't really my thing. But anyway neither of them worked out. They were for different reasons but either way I don't think I had the right personality for it anyway.

Back