• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Online Poll

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Any professional web designer who solely uses a WYSIWYG editor isn't worth the money he's paid. :|

Dreamweaver is industry standard but anyone who knows anything about web design and development will not be using the WYSIWYG tab of Dreamweaver but rather the straight text editor portion.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
    y would they spend a fortune on a wysiwyg if their just going to use it like notepad. seems stupid if u ask me. it could cost me $200 to buy it. there's a reason it's used and if they use just the text they might as well just use notepad.

Cherrim

Years
    Wouldn't surprise me if the company just heard that "everyone else uses Dreamweaver" and went from there.

WYSIWYG inspires lazy coding. It doesn't always parse right and though it gives you a preview, usually that preview is just how it looks in IE or whatever your default browser is. If you don't know what the underlying code of your website is doing exactly, then if you ever run into compatibility issues in other browsers or validation issues, you'll have no idea how to fix it. It's just smarter to use a text editor for web design. You yourself probably haven't run into this issues (nor will you run into them at all if you use such simple designs on your pages) but when you start getting into big, complex designs for large websites with pages and pages of content that need to be organized... you'll want to make sure you know the ins and outs of your designs right down to the code. :/

But so long as you aren't actually intending to go into web design and the like, a WYSIWYG editor should work just fine. They do exist for a reason and it's so that any layman can create a website that, for the most part, works and looks just like they want. But anything more advanced than a simple personal site and it's really worth your while to invest the time and effort into learning HTML and similar web languages.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    If you want syntax highlighting search 'HTML-Kit' on Google. It's a free text editor that can be useful to people who are not proficient in HTML because it has built in code-checking and also some shortcuts when you're writing out tags.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
    Wouldn't surprise me if the company just heard that "everyone else uses Dreamweaver" and went from there.

WYSIWYG inspires lazy coding. It doesn't always parse right and though it gives you a preview, usually that preview is just how it looks in IE or whatever your default browser is. If you don't know what the underlying code of your website is doing exactly, then if you ever run into compatibility issues in other browsers or validation issues, you'll have no idea how to fix it. It's just smarter to use a text editor for web design. You yourself probably haven't run into this issues (nor will you run into them at all if you use such simple designs on your pages) but when you start getting into big, complex designs for large websites with pages and pages of content that need to be organized... you'll want to make sure you know the ins and outs of your designs right down to the code. :/

But so long as you aren't actually intending to go into web design and the like, a WYSIWYG editor should work just fine. They do exist for a reason and it's so that any layman can create a website that, for the most part, works and looks just like they want. But anything more advanced than a simple personal site and it's really worth your while to invest the time and effort into learning HTML and similar web languages.

I've actually have tried to make it as simple as possible so I can easily change things. like with the image map, I can easily change the image map and the image is throughout the page. When I took a photoshop classes they thought me to make an image map, they said that image maps are use in professional websites. It wasn't teaching adobe but gimp. I think I might go back to school though. It means so much to my family for me to graduate college even though I'm not really learning anything. I'm just disgruntled with the whole education posses and the government. teachers should teach and not just grade paper. I know a lot of my friends that go to school have the same educational experience as I do. dk y the schools are like that but I want it to change. anyway I have an email account I find inconvenient to use. can u help me out with that?

supertails

Dictator
    Years
    Site changes

https://www.joepow.info/ I know I still have the tables but I did change it. what do u think of the changes? It's a slow posses but I'm working on it. I still want it to be a conspiracy site but how do u think I can make the site more fun?

Cherrim

Years
    Merged your threads--there's no need for two of them for the same site, especially over minor layout changes.

Anyway I think your site was easier to browse before. :( And I don't understand the need for an image map when you could easily overlay the text used in the image map over the image and just have text links instead--which are much more user-friendly and much easier to change, should you ever want to.

Cherrim

Years
    Um, no, they get how to use an image map but the navigation really doesn't stand out. Earlier when you showed off your site, I didn't even notice the categories on the banner were clickable. I was navigating solely from the index page. :/ Either make the banner better so that the links stand out or, if it's just simple text (in a common font), make it normal text.

Also you should use alt text if you're hellbent on using an image map. Don't forget there are people who browse with images turned off, or who use screen readers to browse the web. :(

supertails

Dictator
    Years
    I did it but u just ruin the whole point of the image map. I didn't even know people browse without pictures, y would u do that, like watching a movie with only the sound. but there u go. for the time being I'll leave it but I'm going to teach people the map is there.

Cherrim

Years
    But you really have no reason to even use an image map. :| You're literally only using it because a class you took once told you it was professional, and it can be, but only if you're using it because you need to use it. When text gives the exact same effect and, to be honest, works a lot better, then having an image map is pointless.

Back