• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Only 5th Gen Pokemon onwards?

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Is there any speculation that Sun and Moon will only include Pokemon from Generation 5 onwards until post game? That'd be awesome, Generation 6 had way too many Pokemon from other generations, so if Gen 7 includes just Gen 5, 6 and 7 Pokemon until post game that'd give so many Pokemon that got swept under the rug a chance.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Is there any speculation that Sun and Moon will only include Pokemon from Generation 5 onwards until post game? That'd be awesome, Generation 6 had way too many Pokemon from other generations, so if Gen 7 includes just Gen 5, 6 and 7 Pokemon until post game that'd give so many Pokemon that got swept under the rug a chance.

What... We have Ledyba, Caterpie, Pichu, Pikachu... I don't really see how gen 6 had too much diversity either. The more pokemon you have, the more diversity you need, so I don't see how it's a bad thing.

And this is just opinion, but my top 10 favorite pokemon have all been pre-gen 5, so that would suck.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • They'll probably have Pokemon from all generations available, albeit most of them mainly selected to fit the biome. It doesn't make a lot of sense to just have Pokemon from one generation available, since there's several of them that would fit in well with Alola's tropical climate.

As for Kalos, its problem was less "too many Pokemon" and more "too many Pokemon squeezed together in the same routes." If Kalos was more developed as a region you could easily have that many types of Pokemon together, but they just crammed them in there randomly.

Years
  • No it was already confirmed that we'll likely have Pokemon from all generations, since Route 1's confirmed wild Pokemon are the new 7th Gen Pokemon Yungoos, Pikipek and Grubbin, but also Pichu, Caterpie and Ledyba for older gens.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Yeah that probably won't happen. I also didn't mind the tons of previous gen pokemon being in Kalos.

However, when I start in a new region, I always make a team of new pokemon. So it really doesn't matters to me.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • As much as I would only love Gen 5+ Pokémon, as others have said we've already seen past gen Pokémon (from gens 1/2 so far iirc) so. Hopefully the majority of Pokémon will be from gens 5, 6, and 7 though!

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    What... We have Ledyba, Caterpie, Pichu, Pikachu... I don't really see how gen 6 had too much diversity either. The more pokemon you have, the more diversity you need, so I don't see how it's a bad thing.

And this is just opinion, but my top 10 favorite pokemon have all been pre-gen 5, so that would suck.

I disagree. Yes, you need to have enough Pokemon so that people have options, but you don't need Pokedexes anywhere near the size of XY to do that. ~200 is more than enough.

Kalos has 457 Pokemon available in its Pokedex. That is ridiculous; we didn't even have that many Pokemon until Diamond and Pearl!

In XY (and BW2 for that matter), I just felt like I was drowning in Pokemon. Every area had so many Pokemon available, and tons of Pokemon were unique to a particular route. It just comes off like the world isn't big enough for the Pokedex they're using.

But, besides all that - it doesn't even matter. Pokemon games dropped trade restrictions a long time ago. If they go for a smaller Pokedex, and don't happen to include a particular Pokemon you want to use, that doesn't stop you from using it. You just have to trade it in.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Only newer gen mons? ONLY newer gen mons!?

Pls no. No way that'll happen. If it does I will confirm quit this series. Plus we already revealed that there will be some old mons in route 1.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I disagree. Yes, you need to have enough Pokemon so that people have options, but you don't need Pokedexes anywhere near the size of XY to do that. ~200 is more than enough.

Kalos has 457 Pokemon available in its Pokedex. That is ridiculous; we didn't even have that many Pokemon until Diamond and Pearl!

In XY (and BW2 for that matter), I just felt like I was drowning in Pokemon. Every area had so many Pokemon available, and tons of Pokemon were unique to a particular route. It just comes off like the world isn't big enough for the Pokedex they're using.

But, besides all that - it doesn't even matter. Pokemon games dropped trade restrictions a long time ago. If they go for a smaller Pokedex, and don't happen to include a particular Pokemon you want to use, that doesn't stop you from using it. You just have to trade it in.

With over 800 pokemon (probably) 400 per game wouldn't be bad. To make it any less you would need a ton of version exclusives, or have "too many" in the remake/third version.

Also I like to have a wide array of pokemon avalible, that way if I want to do a monotype for example I'll know there are at least 6 pokemon of that type that are decent.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Gen 6 consisted most of pokemons, belonging to Gen 1-4. So, that would compensate the need for them. As for Gen 5 mons, they were kinda unique and were availible in no other gens. So overall, i beleive, including 5th, 6th and 7th gen pokemons would cover most of the pokemon world introduced till date.

Back