• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Only catch first evolution

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012
    I like to only catch first evolution pokemon so i can level them up rather then just catching a pre evolved pokemon, does anyone else like to do this?

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I tend to do this too. It's good for Ev's, I think?

Especially during the main run. It's unrealistic in my opinion, catching evolved forms. =/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • In most cases, this is a good idea because the evolved forms of those Pokemon learn moves much more slowly than their pre-evolved forms; in Emerald I had to stop my Bagon from evolving until level 46 just to teach it Dragon Claw.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    I do this, it gains you more freindship with your pokemon too. So hatching a Happiny will help you get high friendship, and it will evolve into Blissey easily. It also get you to test them out. Usually, I test them out before I put them on my team permanently.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like doing this too. I want to play more when I'm working on evolving something.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • ^ agreed I tend to do it for Motivation, moves etc.... I do however like that you can catch a pre-evolved Steelix in D/P/Pt-HG/SS as I do not have ready access to another DS plus you don't get the metal coat until you beat the E4 or catch/thief a lot of magnemite

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I do this for Pokemon I intend on raising up for battling purposes and for my main play-through team, for the above stated reasons. However, if it's just for the Pokedex, I'll catch anything that's not currently in it, evolved or not.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I like working to evolve them, especially when I can sit them on experience share and let another Pokemon do all the work. That way I trick myself into thinking I'm not grinding. I can't stand grinding.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    For Pokedex reasons, I pretty much catch whatever Pokemon I see out there, in order to avoid leveling work (unless the Pokemon is rare and it would just be easier to evolve it myself). If I were to actually use the Pokemon on my team or something though, I would definitely just get the first evolution.

Years
    • Seen today
    I do this for Pokemon I intend on raising up for battling purposes and for my main play-through team, for the above stated reasons. However, if it's just for the Pokedex, I'll catch anything that's not currently in it, evolved or not.

This.

It's better to catch a pre-evolved Pokemon you plan to raise....but if it's for the Pokedex, any form is good.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Even though it doesn't really make any statistical difference at all, I do this too. It's probably more to do with my wanting to have a certain pokemon as soon as I can. XD

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Yup, me too. I never catch evolved forms of Pokemon. It's a nice challenge to raise your Pokemon and witness their evolution then. XD;

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Depends on the Pokemon. Ralts, yes, Diglett, no.

Years
  • I catch evolved pokemon if i dont plan on using them. Most the time I catch pre evolved if I plan on using them on a team.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    It varies....I always catch myself a Dratini, not a Dragonair, as it's part of the challenge of Dragonite....the same with Magikarp, as I kinda like it for its uselessness.

However, I find Hoothoot to be incredibly ugly, hard to use, and a general fail, so I'll headbutt trees until I find a Noctowl that's below lv.10. The same with Pidgeotto, although that's more because Pidgey doesn't have the abilities to use its' flying-type-less movepool.

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
    Years
  • Yeah the only time I don't is for flying types. I'd prefer to pick up the second evolution of the common bird in each game because they don't really help much early, and it makes it a bother to level them.

Back