• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Only on [insert console name here]

pkmin3033

Console exclusivity has always been a thing - it's one of the main ways to generate sales of the hardware. You'll buy a console so you can play the games that it has that other consoles don't, and these days a decision on which console to buy often comes down to which games it has that the others don't.

But over the last couple of generations, console exclusivity has taken a bit of a back seat as, more and more, developers are opting to release their titles on every possible platform, in an attempt to generate as much sales for their software as possible...because, after all, if a game is exclusive to one console, then those who have a different console won't get to play it. Some developers prefer to offer exclusive features for their games for different consoles also, to personalize the experience...and some will later change their stance and release what was previously a console exclusive game on another platform, with a host of additional features, or updated gameplay. Save for big budget AAA titles, anything made by Nintendo, and some of the more niche Japanese games, a game that is marketed as a console exclusive won't necessarily remain so forever these days.

What are your thoughts on console exclusivity? Is it a good way of promoting the value of consoles, or an inconvenience? What are some of your favourite console exclusive games or series? Have you ever found yourself buying a console just to play one game, or found yourself frustrated that everything you want except for a couple of console exclusives is available on one console? Share your thoughts...only on Pokecommunity.

Years
  • I always tend to get Nintendo systems for their exclusives.

Sony aren't all that big on first party exclusives (they have them but not loads of them), but in terms of third party exclusive it can be a deal breaker. (I regret in some ways getting a xbox 360 over a PS3 as I keep finding loads of games I want to play that are PS3 only).
    As for Xbox many of the exclusives are OK but can are nothing all that original (Halo is practically COD in space, Forza is practically Gran Turismo).
    Also lots of Japanese developers don't give xbox the light of day so lots of great titles are missed out on.
    [FONT=&quot] Nintendo are all about exclusives, it used to be just Nintendo games (mostly) but now other developers are making good quality exclusives (i.e Capcom only releasing the newer monster hunters on 3DS and and wiiU).[/FONT]

Years
  • Being that I'm mainly a PlayStation gamer, the exclusives Sony has had over throughout generations has always kept me coming back. Now that I've basically grown up with their consoles, I'm devoted to their system no matter what. From a player perspective, I feel that Sony delivers more of the kinds of games that have kept my gaming hobby: the single player JRPGs. With the brand being Japanese, they definitely have an abundance of them and I'm always looking forward to seeing which become localized in the future.

Years
  • When 3rd party devs do it, I see it as somewhat of an inconvenience, though it makes sense when 3rd party Japanese publishers do it, since the two dominant systems there are far from similar in specs, be it in the handheld or the home console markets. When 3rd party big-budget western devs do it, I find it to be a bit annoying, but can understand why it happens. Small 3rd party western devs get a pass due to the expense of developing for multiple systems. 1st party devs get a pass, since one can reasonably assume that they're looking out for themselves and their publisher. Exclusive 1st party titles that most people play socially like Halo (Microsoft holds the rights, therefore it is first party) and Smash Bros can sway me to buy a console, as can a sports title being exclusive (basically just referring to MLB The Show here, which is a Sony title, and also currently the only baseball game available for consoles).

I did find myself buying a PS3 last summer because I ran out of exclusives I was interested in on the Xbox 360 that I could find at GameStop, but I was eventually planning on getting one anyway. I'm at the point where I'm currently eying a Wii or a Wii U because of some of the exclusives on each, and because I have a few games that I played on the Wii when I had access to one a couple years ago that I've been itching to play.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Since I own all current Sony platforms, I have access to Sony exclusives... so the only other console exclusive that interest me are 3DS exclusives like Persona Q, SMTs, Pokemon.
    But they still aren't enough for me to invest into 3DS. Vita-chan is too strong handheld.

Years
  • Since I own all current Sony platforms, I have access to Sony exclusives... so the only other console exclusive that interest me are 3DS exclusives like Persona Q, SMTs, Pokemon.
    But they still aren't enough for me to invest into 3DS. Vita-chan is too strong handheld.

Hoarding them Sony exclusives, but I don't blame you. If I could, I'd probably buy myself a Vita rather than the old first iteration of PSP that I have, to which I have lost the charging cable...I'm missing out on those JRPGs that are only on Vita ;-;

Yukari

I really don't care for exclusives, mainly because money is an issue in my family and I simply can't afford consoles. I only find myself buying Nintendo consoles for exclusives since there are so many great games it's worth the buy. (In my opinion, of course.)

But mainly, I just stick to the PC.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Usually I go for Nintendo products simply because I grew up with Nintendo consoles, as well as PlayStation products, but yeah, I don't really much care for exclusivity in consoles since the simple answer in practice is to find out what sort of games you like and just buy the console that comes with them.

It'll only irk me if the console game gets shafted between each console, like Tales of Vesperia for the Xbox 360 is fun, but it doesn't have as much features as the one for the Playstation 3, but the playstation 3 version hasn't been released overseas, which was a bummer, but, yeah. ):

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • If I had a pc that could actually play some games I would just ditch consoles and stick with that. However I don't have a great pc, so. Console of choice is a tossup between sony and nintendo. I've never been a fan of Halo, which is pretty much the only consistent xbox exclusive. I don't even know why I have a 360. All of the games I've wanted in the past few years have been Sony exclusive, whereas I've bought one xbox exclusive. That one exclusive being Halo 4 because it was like literally 3 dollars. And then nintendo just has everything good. Digimon, pokemon, mobile kingdom hearts games, some of the best square enix games, and the list goes on and on. Why haven't I bought a 3DS yet. Ugh.

Years
  • I don't normally go for specific consoles and go LUL ______ MASTER RACE!
    I have a 3DS for Pokemon mainly
    Vita/PS3 for Nippon games
    Xbox One for Shooter/multiplayer games
    Wii-U for party games.

I will say that I /do/ tend to buy Ninty products first, because they are more affordable and are backwards compatable

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I'm against having exckusives for every consoles but oh well,, every company wants to get money, I mean it's there job. I'm against it, but I don't mind it. It's not like a company is gonna stop doing exclusives because customers are not satisfied. They want money. Everyone does.

I would do the same, if I wanted more money. Companies don't reaally care about you, they just care your money. It sounds like what I'm saying is bad, but it's totally normal to me. Nothing is free these days, and getting money is just a way of getting their income. Just like normal people having a job.

Take Halo for example. Sure, Playsation users are mad they couldn't play Halo, but what are gonna do, complain to Microsoft? Microsoft wouldn't care one bit, as these aren't even their customers, so why the hell would they listen to them. That'll just push playsation users to buy and Xbox, and the same goes for Xbox users, for PS exclusive games. It's just the video game cycle.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years

• Hoarding them Sony exclusives, but I don't blame you. If I could, I'd probably buy myself a Vita rather than the old first iteration of PSP that I have, to which I have lost the charging cable...I'm missing out on those JRPGs that are only on Vita ;-;
    Um... how much do you love your PS3-kun? Because... if you buy Vita-chan, PS3-kun's usability will start decrease drastically :D
    I can't stop playing on Vita-chan even though I want to use PS3 as well :D

Years
  • Um... how much do you love your PS3-kun? Because... if you buy Vita-chan, PS3-kun's usability will start decrease drastically :D
    I can't stop playing on Vita-chan even though I want to use PS3 as well :D

I find it amusing that you give these systems honorifics, haha. The usability of both my PS3 and PS4 has decreased ever since starting work :c Don't think there would be time for Vita-chan...a

Back