• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

oooh, shiny!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    oooh, shiny!

How do you feel about the concept of shiny pokémon? What do you think it's implications and uses are outside of the game world (where they probably exist to be rare and something worth looking for and trading), like in the anime and manga and such?​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I think the addition of shiny Pokemon is a welcome addition to the Pokemon world. Shiny Pokemon are like special trophies that you would keep and show-off to your friends, and strangers xD
    Outside of games, shiny Pokemon don't seem to be that rare. Most of the trade threads in this forum has hundreds of shiny Pokemon up for grabs, I myself have many from trades etc.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I think they did a really good job introducing this new system. The only problem is that in the older games all shinies had specific Hidden Power types so I couldn't bring them into the competitive world XD

It's something catching for and showing that "My Spheal is better than yours!" for a good reason that since all Pokémon are available in the games it's no big deal if somebody says he has a 'rare' one. Even the legendaries aren't that specific, I mean everybody catches them in their playthrough.

Outside world I suppose that they're exotic (though I strongly believe there should be more than one special colouration) and as seen in the anime there are many differently-coloured Pokémon. In the Pokémon Special (Adventures) Manga too there's an introduction of a "Green Gyarados" which was in possession of Blue (Gary counterpart) if I remember right. So I was pretty impressed by that and now I want more shiny colourations XD
    It's a good-luck trait for a Pokémon in the wild though it can be mistaken for a skin disease XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Shinies are extremely valuable, even more than legendaries (in my opinion, anyway). The first shiny I was ever able to encounter was a Hoothoot in Silver, I think. If I remember correctly, I managed to catch it with only one Poké Ball, since its level was quite low. d: Shiny Gyarados was my first, technically, but I'm not going to count that, since I didn't encounter it by luck—it was due to an in-game event.

Another shiny that I was able to run into was when playing FireRed, which I think was an Onix. I was able to encounter it in Rock Tunnel while I was on my way to Lavender Town. When I first stumbled into it, I immediately thought that it was some sort of a new Pokémon, which surprised me a lot. But after examining it for a few seconds, I was able to figure that it was Onix. xD I wasn't able to capture it though, because unfortunately, I didn't have any Poké Balls with me at that time. If I did, then I would've caught it any heartbeat!

The most recent shiny I've encountered was a Litleo. I've tripped over this Pokémon at the beginning of Y on Route 12. When I did, I had a very limited amount of Poké Balls with me—only about three to five. I didn't want any of them to be wasted, so I thought that it'd be a good idea to weaken the Pokémon before capturing. When I landed an attack on it though, it became a critical hit, which made Litleo faint in an instant. I was quite upset about it, and if I wasn't being distracted by the TV, I probably would have cried. :( If I ended up capturing this Pokémon, then it definitely would've been one of my official team members.

Outside of the games, shines are just as rare. In the anime, the only time I've ever seen a shiny Pokémon was in one of the season two episodes. It was a shiny Rhyhorn, if I remember right. Also, when I was a kid, I used to collect a lot of Pokémon cards. I've had hundreds and thousands of them, but only two were actually shiny. xD Can't seem to recall what Pokémon they were, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2013
    Wow in all the years I have been playing Pokemon I have only encountered 2 shinies and one of them was during my fire red nuzlocke run, a mighty rattata.

I love the shiny system, but I feel like it's dwindled quite a bit by the fact that most of them you see in forums and threads probably are hacked. I am a little mad as the last two shinies I encountered where a Shiny Pidgey and Shiny Rattata within 3 battles of eachother on Route 1 before I had acquired the initial Pokéballs.

Years
    I'm still one of those that holds shiny Pokemon in high regards much like legendaries, even though I know as far as the games are concerned, they're rarity has been diluted due to hacking, RNGing, etc. Still, you see only a handful of shiny Pokemon throughout the anime, and though I can't speak for the manga, I'm sure they're pretty rare there, too. So I guess it's still pretty special when you have the opportunity to come across one, but maybe not as much as it should be.

Also, I don't think that shiny Pokemon are all that different from albino animals/humans in our own world. Aside from their obvious visible differences, they aren't any different from anyone else in a species, so I don't see why shiny Pokemon would be any more powerful, just probably more sought after (outside of the game world, at least).

Years
    I love Shiny Pokemon, and I have caught a fair few over the course of my Pokemon gaming career. While some Shiny colors aren't impressive *cough* Garchomp *cough* others can make me love certain Pokemon even more.

I've heard people complaining about them being "easier" to find in X/Y, but I still know about that traditional 1/8192 chance. They still have that rarity to them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    This is what I have to say about shinies: they're a complete farce.

I mean really, all they are are normal Pokémon with a different color palette. Why are people so crazy with getting them??

I, for one thing, think that these guys shouldn't have implemented this concept in this franchise altogether.

Victreebel's Bro

The Day Is My Enemy
    Years
    Oh, now you're just making me jealous...
    I have yet to find a legit shiny, but I'd love to find one. I've heard that you can chain shinies by fishing (even if I get a Magikarp I'll still be glad.) in X and Y. (Well, I did find a shiny Voltorb, but it used explosion. WHAAAAAAT)

Years
    I've always liked the idea of them. In the real world you get those odd mutations that means some animals have two heads or strange coloring and it's just a not to that kind of genetic diversity. I only wish they're been able to bring in something a little more drastic than shininess. Maybe 'drastic' isn't the right word. I mean I'd like it if there was more individuality in how Pokemon of the same species looked.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I really enjoy that there are shinies in the games. They are super rare however, I never even knew that shinies existed until gen. IV. I'm really glad that GameFreak added them. Scientifically, I think that shinies are similar to mutations. Shinies have naturally been genetically mutated to have their unique color and sheen. Shinies are my favorite in the game, also they look nice in the anime as well. :]

Back