• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ooops, wrong generation!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Ever have those moments when you're playing an old game, but you keep thinking about the features new generations have brought us? Or maybe the opposite, and you're playing a newer generation game and you're so used to older ones, that you forget about things?

Every time I play gen I or II games, if I see a Nidoran, I always think it has Poison Point, but then I remember there are no abilities. But even still, just out of habit, I won't attack with a physical attack. And this also happens with the physical/special split. I always forget about it in old games, especially the elemental punches. They run off special attack stats in gen II, not physical like in gen IV and on. Silly me~

How about y'all?

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I keep forgetting about the Physical/Special split in the newer generations, and various things in the old ones. Lack of Dark/Steel type in 1st gen, the different berries in 2nd gen and the Apricorns in HGSS, and the different sprites in the older games are big ones.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • The menu button. I was playing LeafGreen on my DS the other day and jabbed angrily at the X Button for quite a while before realising that it was Start. And then when I've been playing older generation for a while, I'll forget it's the X button and attack the Start button. It's silly really. xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • This happens to me on occasion when I play my Gen III games. I forget that the physical/special split wasn't implemented in those games.

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    This has not really happened to me sense I try to go to extra measure to ensure I know the games mechanics before I get to far with it.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    In the early days of D/P I always forgot that start was X. Then I went back to playing FR on my DS and was like "Why doesn't the X button work?" I also forget about the phisical/special split.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    In the early days of D/P I always forgot that start was X. Then I went back to playing FR on my DS and was like "Why doesn't the X button work?" I also forget about the phisical/special split.

This happens to me a lot as well, haha. After getting so used to the X button with DPPt, when going back to Emerald one day, I kept pressing the X and when the start menu wouldn't open I was confused at first. n_n

In the games itself, it would be me forgetting that you can't switch bike speed with the B button, and I would have to go back and get the Acro or Mac bike in Emerald and Sapphire.

Years
  • I have had it a lot lately, due to having played through my SoulSilver and then going on Gen3 games for the first time in ages, I have always have trouble with my Alakazam and Gengar seeming weak because i forget Shadow Ball is physical, and I always wonder why I'm moving so slow and then remembering that I have to hold down 'b'.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • Yes,i was once playing pokemon emerald,right after getting pokemon diamond and i keep trying to catch a pokemon that was only able to get in gen 4 XD

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, occasionally I get confused with the physical/special split. Particularly when using Wobbuffet in Emerald. But then again, I only found out how that split worked last summer.

And I often think Machop and its' family have got No Guard. But then it turns out they don't. That happens in Gen III and Diamond (They only gave trainers' Machop/ke/amp(s) No Guard in Platinum), and then if I play those too much, I forget about it when going to play Platinum.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • That has happened to me on my playthrough in Emerald recently. Actually this happened quite a bit in Emerald. At first I thought I had a vs. seeker for some strange reason (ugh from platinum) and I thought Fly had 90 attack power but it really has 70 in gen III.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    That used to happen to me a lot back when I only had Pokemon Red and Gold, because after playing Gold so much with the bicycle selected so I could use it by just pressing select, whenever I wanted to use the bicycle in Red I'd press the select button about 20 times before realizing I had to actually go in the bag and pick it. xD

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • The only thing I usually have trouble with is trying to press X instead of the Start button.

I also forgot how terrible Wing Attack is in Gen I compared to later games. 35 BP instead of 60. ;-;

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I do the X vs Start thing a lot when I switch between Platinum and Emerald like I so often do. And I always forget about the Physical/Special split. just like everyone else here, apparently

Years
  • I don't really forget things when switching generations, but when I'm playing the earlier games, I'm always like
    "it's nice not having to bother with catching 20 of one species if I want one for the team, just because it sometimes takes that long not to get a terrible nature"
    or
    "Thank god that damned Pikachu won't have Static"

Last edited:
    Back