• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Operating Systems

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • Windows eeeeyyyyyyyyight.

I'm okay with it, really. Although I really really really looove playing with Linux a lot. I used to use that OS so much when I was in school, and it was my preferred OS. While Windows is simple and isn't complicated to the normal human user, Linux has a lot more to offer not only for that normal human user, but it does have a little of everything for everyone.

Years
  • I have to admit i've always liked Windows, I really like retro versions like 95 and 98 and I really love windows 8.1 I know most people hate it but I think its great and makes a nice change from the more traditional windows style.

The Operating system I really hate however is Android I find its interface ugly and sort of amateurish looking it feels really buggy and eats ram like no ones business also its loaded with bloatware you can't shift unless you root it.

Sir Codin

I'm sticking with Windows until PC game developers start getting their **** together and make games playable on Linux systems.

Steam has started releasing games for Linux, so it's only a matter of time. Once the next Elder Scrolls game gets released for Linux, Microsuck can kiss my ass goodbye.

I don't use Mac OS X because I hate Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I have a Windows 7 desktop and a Macbook Pro, and there are things I like about both. If I had to choose one I'd probably go with Windows - 7 preferably, since I'd rather use OS X than Windows 8. Some things are much less user-friendly in OS X, but then again you have things like one-click printer installation, almost insta-boot, gestures, and other fantastic features that I really found myself loving after I got my Mac.

Windows 8 is just horrible though. It's clunky, everything is hidden and requires searching to find, the start menu is ugly as hell...the only thing it has over 7 is that it's super-fast. Windows 7 remains the best OS Microsoft has ever made, in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Of the big two, I prefer Windows. It's easier to use, it's got a much larger software selection and it's a lot more customisable (assuming you know where to find the registry and administrator tools.
    I do use OSX on a regular basis, and it infuriates me. The need to enable right-click is ridiculous, the titles for the Exposé buttons on the mouse configuration are puzzling, Launchpad is awful (it's just a slightly less useful form of Ubuntu's silly dash), the keyboard shortcuts feel incredibly disorganised (do I press Cmd, do I press Alt, do I press both? Who knows?) and Finder is absolutely horrific (seriously, why do I want a window without buttons as my default option? Why is it so difficult to change the default view?).
    For all its faults OSX does have its benefits. It wins in the looks department, and Exposé (once you've found the right option) may be the single most useful thing missing from so many other systems. The universal menu bar is always nice, too. Of course, there's also the benefits of Adobe's products working considerably better in Apple's offering. I use Photoshop regularly, in both OSs, and I never fail to be disappointed at how it is in Windows. The menus are ugly and the full screen is a real pain to configure (seriously, why are they so different?). I'm sure there's other issues, but nothing comes to mind.

Neither of those could ever match up to Arch Linux, though. The level of configuration available is absolutely huge. Setting it up may be necessary and hugely time-consuming, but there's something fun about it. All those hours selecting packages and I'm never disappointed. Will I go for an all-out KDE system, or the most minimal LXDE I can manage? Will I skip those entirely, and just run off a window manager? There's something fun about the whole process, and everything is exactly as you need it when you're done. Just run pacman to update every so often and all is well.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Windows. (Right now I'm using Windows 8.1, with every single update at the time of posting.)

Productivity? Check. Development? Check. Gaming? Check. Web browsing? Check. Social networking? Check.

Everything? Check. That's the beauty of Windows. I couldn't care less for anything else any other operating system can give me. If you don't have the apps, I'm never going to use you as my main operating system, ever.

Also, usability is a big thing, too, and some amount of consistency and minimal-set-up time is very important, too. Once most things are at the right places at the beginning, it's hard to wedge the user experience. There's a point where too much customizability becomes a nightmare - sometimes, you really need to provide a good set of defaults out-of-the-box at the very least.

Simplicity itself, huh? I know that every time I need to switch machines, I can carry over everything as long as both are Windows PCs. Sure, installing apps might be a problem for some, but sure beats having to do that and do a lot of other things, too.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Mac OSX, by a landslide, followed closely by Ubuntu. I just love Unix too much to ever go back to Windows based systems. Don't get me wrong, Windows is a nice operating system, and I have to use it at University for most of my assignments (you can never find a good C++ compiler that runs on OS X these days) but I really love OS X because it just works. Everything comes with it out of the box (i.e. the productivity office software you'll spend a lot of your time using), it's quick (and I mean quick - especially on an SSD), it's never once crashed on me in around a year of using, it's simple and - contrary to popular belief - very easy to use, the software that's made for it seems to be so much better than software made for other operating systems (e.g. Microsoft Office runs better on Mac than Windows) and it's Unix based (which allows me to spam terminal commands and pretend to be a nerd, amongst other things).

Windows 7 is pretty good. Windows 8 is terrible. If I had to choose though? OS X, by far.

Disclaimer: OS X does work best with Apple hardware. I have a MacBook Pro, so two finger scrolling and two finger right click are the greatest things ever.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I'm going to be Waaaaay in the minority here because I actually really like Vista. It had a few stability issues but if you left it the heck alone and didn't poke it about it was actually pretty good. I just let it take care of itself. I have a friend who can't look at an OS without wanting to fiddle with it and customise it and mess with the CLI. So of course he hated Vista with a passion because every change he made crashed it unlike the ridiculously tolerant XP. So naturally I made it a point to rub it in his face (as friends do :P) that mine was fine and dandy. Vista was my baby lol.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • Just wanted to add a few personal endorsements for Linux.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I've currently got Windows 8 on mine, which actually took me ages to get used to. But it's often been tradition since getting my own computer that I've always had Windows operating systems on it. Ones I've had on my past computers included Windows 98, ME, Vista and 7.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Just wanted to add a few personal endorsements for Linux.

Spoiler:

I dunno about that. Everything can still happen, and (insert thing) can still be up to no good. You just have to pick what you want to live with.

Everyone has their reasons :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I use windows 8.1, that's a lot better than it's reputation will have you think. It's fast, the metro UI isn't intrusive when using it on a desktop computer and the redesign compared to 7 is slick and understated.

Where it shines is on a tablet. I own a Linx 7 tablet (a full windows 8.1 tablet for about £80, does have a few limitations like only 1GB RAM and a Atom processer) and the metro apps work great, although desktop apps are slow and fiddly.

My phone (HTC Desire 610) runs android kitkat 4.4.2 with sense 6 ui. It runs crazy fast and the sense skin actually enhances the experience unlike other OEM skins like Samsung's TouchWiz ui.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I use Windows - it's what I grew up using, and it's what I'm most comfortable with.

Because of my programming background, I use Cygwin (Unix shell emulator) a lot, so I'm familiar with the basics of the UNIX / Linux terminal, but I've never really been comfortable using a Unix or a Linux as a general purpose OS.

I've set up dual boots with Ubuntu several times, but I just never end up using it - months later, after basically never having touched it, I just uninstall it. While I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to learn or get used to, I'd just rather use Windows to do whatever I need so I don't have to deal with the learning curve.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I use windows 7 right now. But I'm thinking on changing to LINUX since I code a lot so, yeah.

Speaking of coding, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from developing programs in Windows. Heck, you can even get Cygwin installed if you really need a UNIX-like environment.

Years
  • I use FreeBSD, which has the ports system, good documentation, ZFS, jails, etc. I used to use GNU/Linux, but I wanted something closer to real Unix.

Speaking of coding, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from developing programs in Windows. Heck, you can even get Cygwin installed if you really need a UNIX-like environment.
    To quote ESR: "Trying to learn to hack on a Microsoft Windows machine or under any other closed-source system is like trying to learn to dance while wearing a body cast."

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I use FreeBSD, which has the ports system, good documentation, ZFS, jails, etc. I used to use GNU/Linux, but I wanted something closer to real Unix.

To quote ESR: "Trying to learn to hack on a Microsoft Windows machine or under any other closed-source system is like trying to learn to dance while wearing a body cast."

We aren't even talking about hacking (and I know what you mean). Software development is a pretty general thing IMO.

Duckface

Eating Souls Everyday
    Years
  • See, I have a mac, however I installed Windows 8 on it. Why you might ask? Well its because a mac just is smaller, and more stable and I need that on a laptop, but I hate the Macs interface, so I mixed both. Also apparently Windows 10, its mixing Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 together since many features from Windows 7 have been constantly suggested, such as the normal start screen

Back