• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinion about each Region

RuRuBell

Beeef
Years
  • Kanto: Well, the one that started it all. The cities were pretty diverse, the routes were interesting, and everything was refreshing and new! But it's been a bit overdone now, and I'm getting tired of it.
    But a major plus: Sabrina! ♥

Johto: Like a beefed up Kanto. Some of the routes were really spectacular. You can't beat the beauty of the areas between Lake of Rage to the ruote going back down to New Bark Town from Blackthorn . Definitely had the best music of the game, and my favourite generation overall.
    Minus: The Kanto section was a bit...empty. It was great that they re-introduced it, but it seemed hollow compared to the Kanto I knew before. I thought there were too many cave-type areas.

Hoenn:Great enviroment. I didn't like the game itself, but the world was really great. You've got a whole bunch of different enviroments, like the ash city, deserts, etc. It was all very neatly layed out. The ability to dive underwater is probably hands down the nicest feature in the game. The music for it was great, and the underwater scenery was soo pretty and relaxing.
    Minus: Cities were quite blah, as was the music...while I liked the diving, I felt that there was too much water in this region. Being attacked by Tentacool 24/7 is not my idea of a good time.

Sinnoh: Never really left an impression on me. The concepts were nice, but they were poorly executed. The whole map just seemed too large, and the music was quite boring. The cities`names were hard to remember. What happened to simple colour-based cities, or naming them after plants?

Years
  • Hmmm... this thread seems interesting. Let me try, keeping in mind that I've only played Generations I and IV, so my Johto is the HG/SS Johto, and everything from Hoenn is just from what I've read.

Kanto
    GOOD - Had the best starters, hands down. Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle have yet to be surpassed. Also, having Blue as the Champion was a stroke of genius.
    BAD - Psychic-type was synonymous with "uber".
    UGLY - It's WAY too linear. Why CAN'T I go back to the previous town? Oh, because there's a ledge blocking me out.

Johto
    GOOD - Had the best story and map progression of any game in the series, and expanded the roster of pokémon with good, usable new lines.
    BAD - The Pokégear, while a cool idea, quickly becomes annoying when people can't be erased.
    UGLY - Legendaries that not only have to be tracked down, but run on the first turn of battle. It's not fun. It's annoying.

Hoenn (all secondary observations)
    GOOD - Game Freak really got creative with pokemon evolutions and type combinations.
    BAD - It's so self-contained that it doesn't really feel like part of the overall series.
    UGLY - Torchic, I'm looking at you. Your evolutions are okay, but what was GF thinking when they finalized your character design?

Sinnoh
    GOOD - had the second-best starter trio of the series as well as interesting pokemon throughout. The new evolutions of old pokemon made me go back and give them a second chance.
    BAD - despite the awesome new pokemon, you only ever battled the same 20 over and over again (at least in D/P). Even the legendaries you could encounter without a Wonder Card were cookie cutters of one another.
    UGLY - the town layout was unintuitive, clunky, and confusing. How was it that I cross Mt. Coronet without Rock Climb again? Was it the northern crossing or the southern one? Where was that daycare again? Oh yeah, it's in that out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere town. How do I get to Route 216? What? I have to fly all the way to the north and trek down through snow where I randomly get stuck?! My gosh, it's hard to get around in here!

Dawn Rules

<--- Dawn Strong, Smart & Sexy
    Years
  • Gen 1: Classic love it nice game kool Pokemon and the rocket gang are fun to battle.

Gen 2: I word FERALIGATR god of all starter Pokemon if all the starter Pokemon were real he would probably win the fight. also the new features are nice, Phone calls are good and everything is good.

Gen 3: Best Gen ever. Lets see Rayquaza, Seviper, Battle Frontier, Dive, Kyogre, Aqua and Magma, Steven Stone, Metagross, Salamence, Flannery, May, Secret Bases, Contests, need i say more i would but i cant think of anything else.

Gen 4: Didn't like it that much but i did like Palkia it make the elite 4 battle so much easier. Galactic suck and new evolutions are OK but do the best evolutions have to be traded to evolve?

Finnix

The Dragon Elite
    Years
  • I do have to agree on the Mount Cornet issue that many ppl are talking, about.......How it gets to the point that you want to avoid it as-much as possible. I believe that is one of the biggest flaws in the Sinnoh region

Years
  • Kanto- Started it all
    My first Pokemon games
    Really cool Pokemon
    But its getting boring seeing it in every generation.

Johto- Small, simple, yet worked really well.
    I liked the Japanese-ey feel to it
    Pokemon were pretty underleveled, but HGSS slightly improve on it.

Hoenn- My personal favourite.
    I actually liked the storyline, especially in Emerald.
    Surfing got a bit annoying after a while, but it was still pretty fun, i just hated seeing Tentacools every two minutes.
    Diving was just incredible.
    But lets not forget, the graphics really improved here, when i first played i was amazed by the detail and the colours.

Sinnoh- GTS is awesome.
    3-D was really cool.
    Competitive battling meant that you really couldn't be bored.
    But the Pokemon designs are some ugly... creatures. - looks at Probopass -
    I HATE MT CORONET!!!

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Kanto:

Good: Decent length, started out the Pokemon franchise, had some good pokemon designs, and the best rival (imo)

Bad: Little post-game, the designs of the pokemon that weren't good were some of the worst in the series, and the complete imbalance of the Psychic type.

Johto

Good: Rival, good pokemon designs, Team Rocket, Jasmine, and quite possibly one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Bad: Short, bad story, poor pokemon designs for the ones that aren't good, way too easy, and a bunch of missed potential with Team Rocket.

Hoenn

Good: Great pokemon designs, large region, Team Magma, Winona, varied environments, difficult gym leaders, and one of the best anti-climax endings to any plot, making it worth it, and a pretty good aftergame size. (Oh, and the Battle Frontier)

Bad: Team Aqua... just Team Aqua.

Sinnoh (Favorite)

Good: Great storyline, good pokemon designs, Candice, the Torn World and Giratina, great after game plot, difficult elite four (imo), and the running shoes being able to be used indoors.

Bad: Slow (D/P), Manaphy, the amount of legends, Manaphy, lack of surfing, Manaphy, the wasted potential of the double battling, oh, and did I mention Manaphy?

That's my opinion.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Kanto: The original and the greatest. Very sensible lay out very easy to get around.

Johto: Scenic and lovely. Not as easy to negotiate as kanto, and a little less friendly, but still quite alright.

Hoenn: Scattered, confusing, too much to explore, too much water, stupid towns in stupid dead end places and stupid stupid stupidity! I HATE HOENN!

Shinnoh: Ahhh that's better. Very convenient. Best region since kanto.

Bad: ...but ended up with adding too many Pokémon and attacks and still keeping EV's and natures.

Those were the best things about gen 3 and 4. And the new moves and spec/phys split is the only way to have a sensible battling stystem.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Kanto:
    - For some reason, I can never get enough of this region
    - easier to raise weaker pokemon due to vs. seeker I know they also put in d/p, but leveling in fr/lg is a lot easier.
    - Once you've arrived in celadon, it's really easy to travel back and forward between towns

Johto
    - This region really had an asian vibe to it.
    -Sudowoodo bothered me a lot in this region, just look at the hugemongous detour you had to take just because of that

Hoenn
    -Loved the climate
    -coolest pokemon ( zangoose, the starters, deoxys, groudon, kyogre, breloom, wailord, flygon)
    -loved the ocean, where else would you encounter wild wailmer and wailord?
    - best storyline and legendaries
    - Hoenn's battle frontier > sinnoh's ( only because hoenn got the dome and the pyramid)

Sinnoh
    -Didn't like the overworld sprites for trainers, they got such big heads -.-
    -It was nice to have some routes actually covered with snow, to bad it was north of mt. coronet, wich you had traverse first. and the fact that there was just one lousy city at the end of it-.-
    - no new cave dwelling pokemon. all the caves were crammed with geodude, zubat and onix.
    - never liked the underground & the new style contests.
    - didn't liked the legendaries, other than the lake trio.
    - team galactic is lame-.-
    however, The new physical/special split is a lot better compared to prev. generations.

Pokemafia

Alright really, needs more to do, a bit bland.

Johto -
    Really nice, fair bit to do, and nice to see some different kinds of Pokes.

Hoenn -
    My Favorite, very tropical.
    Has a good variation of places, deserts, sea, marsh lands, also loved making secret basses;)
    Would like a little tad more to do.

Sinnoh -
    Didn't particularly like Sinnoh, ugh don't like the generation of Pokes really,
    but tbh has quite a good story line, with a fair bit to do.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I loved every region a lot.

Kanto
    - Pretty cool and awesome legendaries.
    - Mewtwo and Mew are awesome and the birds are the BEST trio so far.
    - Charizard is awesome and Pikachu is cool
    - Team Rocket was pretty Badass back in those days
    - Ninja gym leader = win
    - Started it all
    - Annoying after replayed a lot
    - REMADE TOO MUCH!! It's in every gen come on!!

Johto
    - Awesome it's my favorite region so far and HGSS made it BEAUTIFUL!
    - Awesome starters and best Gym Leaders, and E4 EVER Clair <3
    - Best music
    - Bad things? None now except harder to rematch people

Hoenn
    - It was awesome like Hawaii but in Pokemon
    - Loved Blaziken (and Mudkipz too!)
    - Awesome story and having 2 evil teams not just one was awesome Magma and Aqua were cool Kyogre and Rayquaza were awesome (Groudon not so much)
    - Introduced rain and sun (yay)
    - TOO MANY WATER ROUTES I understand Team Magma now lol
    - Lack of evolutions of old Pokemon

Sinnoh
    - Best starter trio yet
    - LOVED the new evos
    - Team Galactic was cool and Cyrus was the best leader so far
    - Cynthia was the best champion so far!
    - the attack split made this game WAYYY better
    - Don't care for Mt Cornet
    - Hate slow walking in snow

Wow took long to post lol