• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinionions!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    "I'm sorry, I respect your opinion and you're entitled to having it, but your opinion is wrong and mine is right!"

Is this you when you deal with opposing opinions? Do you think your opinion is the right one, despite all your logic telling you that opinions are just that: opinions, and shouldn't be taken as fact? Tell me I'm not the only one who holds that type of mindset sometimes.

Years
  • That was basically my old roommate lol. If the opposing opinion sways me then I'll yield. I think only in extreme circumstances would I have the mindset described above.

Years
  • Well, if the opposing opinion had any validity to it I'd already have realized it and incorporated it into my own opinion.

Wish I could say I was kidding there, but sorry, I'm not. Actually, no. I'm not sorry. I know I'm right about all the things I'm willing to say I'm right about.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Scarf, I love you.

I do feel like I'm always right, and I have no shame about it. I take the notion of "This is how it is, if you think differently that's fine, but I'm still right" which can make it very annoying to argue with people because I think most people are the same way lol

Haguri

Wish Maker Haguri
    Years
  • Scarf, I love you.

I do feel like I'm always right, and I have no shame about it. I take the notion of "This is how it is, if you think differently that's fine, but I'm still right" which can make it very annoying to argue with people because I think most people are the same way lol

I would agree with your last statement.
    Most people I would assume all feel as if they're right.
    Especially when you get into arguments about religion or politics.
    I will admit myself, I am a huge debater. I've taken Speech and Debate classes, and Model United Nations.
    I love to debate, but in order to be a good debater you must have your facts straight and you must believe you ARE right. You can't have doubts in your own beliefs or views or else it's almost impossible to keep up a valid argument.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I'm always right and everyone else is wrong, obvs.

Well, okay, sure, I respect other peoples' opinions and won't try to force mine on them. Buuut there's always gonna be that small part of me deep inside that knows I'm totally right.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I deal with opinions by simply respecting the other's opinion and not bragging that mine is right or wrong.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Well, if the opposing opinion had any validity to it I'd already have realized it and incorporated it into my own opinion.
    What happens when blind zealotry meets an immovable argument?

Anyway. I don't believe this, simply because I think this is the very definition of "close minded". The idea of "my opinion is absolute, because surely I would have been brilliant enough to see any good point in the opposition" leads to intolerance.

Anyway. My opinion on opinions is that they're misunderstood nowadays. The word has been twisted so horribly that "Well, that's my opinion!" can be used as an escape for actually having to defend your beliefs.

Then again, that's my problem with society as a whole nowadays. People hate having to follow any limitations, they despise being accountable to anyone but themselves. Apparently, it's much better to live like an animal and have that lifestyle be "just your opinion" than it is to live like a rational human being, and try to have some self-discipline.

@Haguri: What you just described, the idea of having conviction and sticking to your guns, is called "zealotry" and "fanaticism" in today's world. People don't like being told they're wrong. It's inconvenient, and might lead to hurt feelings.

And nobody would want that. :(

Shanghai OUT.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    "My opinions are my opinions because I think they're right and you're wrong. That's why I choose to think them. Shut up." <--- My mentality when opposing opinions are trying to force themselves upon me.
    I don't mind listening to them, I love hearing different views, I really do, but I still think I'm right. Like Scarf, I'm willing to say I think I'm right.
    But unless asked to do so, I will politely nod and say, "Oh, uh, yessir. That's a' absolutely right, sir." Of course I'm a bit more polite than that, but you get my drift.

Years

I'm similar to Scarf, but I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong and change my opinion if somebody comes up with logic/an opinion better than my own. I believe in my opinions strongly but if somebody else's make more sense then I'll change mine (ie. I'm not going to assume all of my opinions are perfect, even though up until now they have been perfect).

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2012
    If a more logical, more 'consequential' opinion were to surface, then I don't see why I should stick to mine and not accept and base on the other.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • i respect all opinions, but as most of the people here, i would have to say that i always believe mine to be right.
    but that isn't to say that my opinions are not subject to change. i'm still young; i've yet a lot to experience, so my views and opinions on things will obviously change through time. however, on the very moment of a debate, my current (at least, current at that time) mindset is that my opinion is right.

Last edited:

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • If a more logical, more 'consequential' opinion were to surface, then I don't see why I should stick to mine and not accept and base on the other.
    But changing your opinion should only done with a fair amount of deliberation and thought.

Changing your opinion and beliefs at the drop of a hat simply because another one sounds better at the time is a very good way to rapidly believe in nothing, and become disillusioned with everything.

If you're too easily transplanted, your roots must run extremely shallow.

Back