• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions :3 -On my website

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Alright I read the rules but I hope I'm not missing something >_<

This is my website, I have recently learned PHP and I had minimal knowledge of CSS, but I managed to make it. https://poepoe.x10hosting.com/

A friend of mine said it looked too retro, which I can't help but oh well xD There isn't much now because it's going to be centered around games I make with Game Maker(I have only released a few games and none I really want to display XD) so it's a pretty bare place currently but you can at least comment on how it feels, like if it reminds you of games or anything.

tl;dr Comments on a websites layout.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    It's rather outdated and the CSS is quite cold. It's rather messy and not appealing to the eye. It's just rather unprofessional looking in my opinion. If I were you I would cut those gradient images and go with plain CSS to organize your site. I would suggest having it centered. You should go with a header that goes across the top (ensure everything is elastic so that it suits all resolutions), a background which would simply be a background-color element with a few extras and have a body say set to 60% width going down the middle having some of the background on either side of the body. The two sides could be used as float containers for you sign in box and featured content.

It's a nice attempt at getting your own site from scratch but as it is, it's rather unprofessional looking and very unclean. You're using very little CSS and it shows. It's very beginnerish so I think you should go with a new design. Sorry if that's harsh but as it is right now, it's not appealing.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Not harsh at all ^_^
    Though I won't be attempting your advice until tomorrow(my show is on in 14 minutes) I will be attempting it V_V.

Haha yeah I'm not great in CSS

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    If you wish I can show you a little mock up of what I mean soon, using CSS. But I would highly recommend that you get experienced in the field if you're contemplating on making your website more professional, CSS is easy and often makes a website successful if it's portrayed correctly. You can have the best content in the world but if your site looks bad it's going to snatch a lot of brownie points.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    I just shift deleted it all V_V
    It wasn't very great from a PHP standpoint either(I mean it WORKED, but I could have made it cleaner!)

https://i34.tinypic.com/2qddbom.png how is this going for theme?

Last edited:

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    Is that really the colour scheme you want to use? Looks a little ugly... Try reading some tutorials ^_^''
    Too many colours, so many scan lines...

The layout is good though...

Years
    Is that just the framework? Or the actual graphics?
    For a framework it's okay. Pretty standard. If those are the graphics .... :< Badbad.
    As the poster above me said, way too many scanlines, way too many colours. Also the colour shades themselves are pretty drab.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah it's just a frame :P
    Guess I need to choose some new shades XD

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    www.colourlovers.com
    Check out the pallets there, I would advise taking a look at the top or most loved ones. Maybe for inspiration start looking at wordpress themes to see how to make your website look clean and professional. Though just for reference, not recommending wordpress of course.

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
    Urgh....
    Sorry but this site isn't good at all....
    Your colors clash so I can't read the links until clicking them, the first part of your text is covered by the sidebar, and it doesn't have any real content at all. You really need to get rid of the scrollbar at the bottom, you can't make an account because you didn't even put in textboxes, and nobody would want to join anyway.

It also has mega-low security, a hacker would have a picnic hacking it.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I'm gonna try and not be harsh on this, but the layout template could use a bit more work or positioned to the center and try to keep the colour scheme to one based colour; usually the more simple seems to catch more attention.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Gardenia I don't know when you saw it-- but you definitely can register now. Also thanks for the advice on needing to change the link colors I didn't even notice >_<
    Galukxy, thanks I'll try and change up the page.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    @Gardenia, what makes you think it has 'mega low security?'

Like I said... Those colours don't go well and it has too many scan lines O.o

Anyway:
    Use CSS and DIVs or Tables to align content. Look at your navigation bars, uggh...
    Avoid URLs like index.php?ID=0 for every page of your website, Search Engines hate that. You can use your htaccess file to avoid that.
    Front page should have something. It's just empty in your case.
    On https://poepoe.x10hosting.com/index.php?ID=5 you've formatted your page using spaces ( ), please avoid that too. Use Divs and Tables instead. The text box there is too small. And you shouldn't allow just anyone to put quotes on your blog.
    Why is the link to Admin page visible to all?

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    If you submit a quote as a non member it shouldn't work...
    Thanks for the feedback, I sort of alternate working on my games and the site, reason for no content is I haven't put up any of my projects yet haha, once again this is in development still so I'm focusing on the LAYOUT not the content.

For future reference so people can stop saying
    "No content"

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    If you submit a quote as a non member it shouldn't work...
    Thanks for the feedback, I sort of alternate working on my games and the site, reason for no content is I haven't put up any of my projects yet haha, once again this is in development still so I'm focusing on the LAYOUT not the content.

For future reference so people can stop saying
    "No content"
    But anyone can register, right?

Imagine what would happen when trolls get to know about your website? Comments like that on youtube... Worse yet, when your website reaches bugmenot.com...

Ankoku Flare

Artsy Dragon
    Years
    In terms of design, the layout seems pretty standard. so that's a start. I would really recommended to use a color scheme that's easier to the eye. The link color pretty much camouflages with the background color. You would probably want to have a more interesting backgrounds to make it standout and give a more professional appeal like Abnegation mentioned.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Mr.CK, I can easily remove things and IP ban someone, I don't see the site becoming that popular so I don't think it's an issue.

Ankoku Flare, thanks I'll be sure to weave that in.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    Mr.CK, I can easily remove things and IP ban someone, I don't see the site becoming that popular so I don't think it's an issue.

Ankoku Flare, thanks I'll be sure to weave that in.
    I know, I used to do that too... Just said so because it's a good habit to avoid such things... Because one man would do so much harm to your website, it'll take ages to fix it, rather, he might do unrepairable damage as well...:P

Just like how important it is make you code un-SQL-injectable

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Don't worry, I'll be backing up my site often, and it shouldn't be an issue. Again thanks.

Alright check the colors I have now, obviously ignore the things I didn't change though.

Back