• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Opinions on "trolling"

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
Years
  • So, I'm sure we all know what trolling is, but I'm wondering if you ever think it's acceptable? I've bred some level 1 Starlys with quick attack and endeavour and focus sash, what would you think of me taking them to the battle spot? And things like this in general- is it ever ok?

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    I personally like trolling... but maybe... just maybe... others don't.

It gives me a good laugh.

Try your luck!
    (The idea is legit. May I use it?)

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    Yes, because it is a legitimate strategy and isn't even near broken. All you have to do is have something with a priority 1 or 2 move, something that inflicts burn or poison to the foe(i.e toxic), which are all very common moves.
    There is no problem in doing this and I don't know why any one would have a problem with it, in the first place. Unless you are incredibly bad, or have a really bad team, it will most likely not be a problem.

Years
  • I think that kind of trolling is perfectly fine. Like that seems like a funny idea, but the more extreme trolling is more of an issue to me.

Pinta77

Nothing wrong with it. Theres away around your starlys. If your opponemt doesnt prepare for it, whose fault is that?

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
    Years
  • I personally like trolling... but maybe... just maybe... others don't.

It gives me a good laugh.

Try your luck!
    (The idea is legit. May I use it?)

Course you can! It's not even my idea.

Also, update: I killed someone's Lucario and they then rage quitted, I got three wins altogether, although a few people did have ghost types and better priority moves. But it's fun!

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • What I personaly consider trolling is using things like parafusion + double team, or Sky Drop shennanigans, because such strategies suck all skill and fun out of the battle and make it nothing but a game of luck.
    Your strategy, on the other hand, is far from trolly (is that even a word?). I'm sure it would be very fun to use against inexperienced players and their Lv100 Mewtwos, but the more savvy players will know exactly what you're trying to do, as soon as they see Starly in team preview.

Kokocat

Burning Young Heart
    Years
  • Had someone do that starly technique to me on PBR years ago... I always carry a ghost type now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Trolling is okay with me, since they do no harm… well unless, of course, you let it get to you and start becoming upset. xD" I ran into a couple of trolls throughout the last two months while battling online, one of which had a team filled with just Blissey and Snorlax. Took me an extremely long time to get the battle done, but still managed to maintain my cool and get him defeated.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    I don't really mind it. Sometimes it can be a bit annoying in excess, but.. I do understand the need to just goof around every now and again, so I try to just ignore it in those kinds of situations.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • why troll with Starly when you can sweep with a Magikarp? or solo with Wobbufett? or stall with Dunsparce? Trolling is an Art my friend. and Art needs to be shared, no?

Years
  • I "troll" all the time when I battle.. if my opponent sends out a Pokémon that has a type advantage against mine (let's say theirs is water and mine is fire), I wait to switch to a Pokémon that has an advantage over theirs (from fire to grass) and then their water attack is used on my grass, thus causing less damage and I can easily defeat theirs. I do it to both in-game opponents and actual players as well.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm usually not fond of trolls, but if you're gonna troll, troll well. Stuff like those troll Arons and Starlys are fine, but then you get some kinds of trolling that crosses the line. Case in point: "Funbro". I don't see how that could possibly be fun for the troll at all, let alone the other player. And anyone who uses Funbro should go die in a hole.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Do it with a Sand Stream lead and use Aron with Sturdy for the ability, Endeavor, and give it Shell Bell. Though I know weather only lasts 5 turns now so idk how well that'd work this gen, but that's how I got a win so that I could rest my head on a cute boy as my prize. So I'll always stick with that. ;)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I also trolled in competitive battling. Whimsicott was my favorite troller at the time, as it was able to go first on any status move. Prankster Swagger & Double Team on each and every Pokemon.

I also had a Chansey with Minimize. Arguably she is the best user of the move due to her high HP.

Years
  • Does a Max SpD + Acid Armor/Curse + Wish/Recover/Slack Off strategy considered trolling? lol

OT:
    I personally don't mind trolling during battles, it's part of the game anyway, and it adds more fun lol

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Trolling is in battleing is an interesting subject, there is a lot of ways to do it yet you dont run into one in competitive battleing very often. I think that has to do with its just more rewarding to raise a team than just doing a little breeding.

I personally like trolling, its a fun thing to do on a rainy day :P

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Easiest way to troll: SubToxic Gliscor against a Noob with Rotom-W; he was so pissed his Hydro Pump missing every time that he dc'd.
    I actually didn't want to troll, it just so happened that noobs apparently don't like stalling. xD

Also there seems to be a really frustrating trolling strategy involving Slowbro with Slack Off/Heal Pulse/Recycle/Block and a Leppa Berry.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Also there seems to be a really frustrating trolling strategy involving Slowbro with Slack Off/Heal Pulse/Recycle/Block and a Leppa Berry.

Yeah, its called Funbro. IDK why anybody could ever think that Funbro is remotely fun/funny.

Back