• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opposite Gender

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
  • I don't see why a guy and a girl couldn't be best friends. Not everybody is going to be attracted to each other, if you operate under that assumption you're going to miss out on a lot of potential good friends throughout your life. Some of my best friends are girls (I'm male), and there's never been any awkwardness or stuff like that because of our genders. Although I think they're all pretty, I'm not attracted to any of them sexually, and since I'm gay I won't ever be. Just because we're close doesn't mean we're going to "fall" for each other, this isn't a Lifetime drama :| If I ever got a boyfriend that forbid me from keeping my female friends I'd most likely dump him, it's outrageous haha.

Even if you're trying to say that it's impossible/unhealty/whatever to be friends or good friends with the sex you're attracted to (in my case guys), that's also a ridiculous idea. I have many good friends that are male, in fact, some of my best friends are gay males as well, and there's no awkwardness or uneasiness because of it.

Overall I just think it's kind of ridiculous to say that people of the opposite sex can't be friends. Just because you've had bad experiences with it doesn't mean everyone is like that :|

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I've only got like one or two male friends irl and a lot of female friends. Online, however, I have more male friends than female friends it seems. ;o; Though I am closer with a few of the females. I prefer to be around females because around guys it just feels awkward. xD;

This is pretty much my situation, too. I treat my male friends like I do my female friends though, so it's not really awkward or anything. I think it's a good idea to have a mix of both.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • I personally dont have alot of online friendships, I find it somewhat empty. Especially when theres a very miniscule chance you'll ever meet them. It seems ridiculous to me to have a friend that you've never even met but whatever.

i think having online friends is a good thing, especially when you spend a lot of time on the computer and your RL friends arent actively online. this way, you can have people to talk to whenever :D

and an online friend can be there for you. not physically, but emotionally. meaning supporting you and advising you

sorry for being off topic? D:

Ayselipera

Online I seem to talk to more males, but in real life I have close friends of each gender equally. I think it's perfectly healthy and fine to have friends of the opposite gender. I'm a very nondramatic girl who has very dramatic girl friends so it's really nice to have a guy friend to hang out with when I feel like not listening to people over act about everything.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Just some of my friends...
    Blade
    Alex
    Zack
    Austin
    Travis
    Deondre
    Tanner
    Jesse
    Brin
    Michal
    Krissie
    Jon
    Caleb
    Ethan

I cannot stand being friends with girls...AT ALL. Too much drama...

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • Someone named their son "Blade"? >_>

Or is he the only Internet person you've chosen to list?
    His parents must be fan of:

Opposite Gender

PokéSprites

PokéSprites Krazy!
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 3, 2010
    I do because they can be fun sometimes they might go in a mood but still there fun to hang around with.

Pass!on

I'll go swimmin' in your eyes
    Years
  • I have way more girl friends, and I'm closer to them, but I'm still pretty close to a few guy friends. Overall I think I'm more comfortable making friends with girls, but hanging out with guys tends to be really fun.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I have more female friends, but mu guy friends are closer. I can do more with my girl friends without things turning all awkward though.

KillehKiwi

Fluent in Sarcasm.
    Years
  • ....Woow, the thought of having opposite-gender friends is a bad thing never even crossed my mind!

I love hanging out with guys, as well as my best girl friends! I have a tomboy-ish side to me, and almost all of my female friends won't play football, or see horror movies with me. I happen to love sports, and movies to freak me out, so if i can't find a female friend to go with me, why not a guy?

I may have more in common with others of my same gender, and I do like hanging out with them a bit more than with my good guy friends, but they aren't always what I need. I absolutely hate drama, and most girls I know love to start it.

And the same with guy friends, a lot of them are really immature, so I need my girl friends for more mature, less perverted time. ;D

It's alll about balance! ;D

Kenpari

¯\(°_o)/¯ I DUNNO LOL
    Years
  • I personally believe that having just a friendship with people of the opposite gender isn't right, unless you're already in a relationship with somebody and they introduce you to their friends and you become friends or whatever, but this doesn't happen extremely often, I believe. I'm not sure why I think so, but I believe that in older ages friendships with other genders are to develop into relationships, and that's what I stick by.

That being said I prefer to hang out with other people of my own gender(that's male, by the way) than those of the opposite gender.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • The overwhelming majority of my friends are female, and it has never been a problem. I generally act exactly the same way in front of other people, regardless of gender, whether I'm with them alone or in a group. I have self-control, and I know all my friends do too. Otherwise, they wouldn't really be my friends because I could never trust them. Occasionally some dirty jokes get thrown around here and there, but that's just life. No harm in it.

Mm... Maybe you trust your partner, but you don't trust the opposite gender.

After all, men are sleazeballs generally. Even if you're as trustworthy as can be, male friends tend to joke sexually and might cop a feel without your wanting. Women are just as guilty as trying to be flirtatious and promiscuous as well, regardless how loyal and trustworthy you are.

So it's not the relationship that's faulty; moreso the suspicion of these "friends" and their intentions. I don't trust the majority of men because most men have proven to be just after a piece of ass. Women I see the same as men, too. I trust my fiance at 100%, but I don't trust the women of society, so we generally just avoid it altogether.

It makes me feel fuzzy when he tells flirtatious girls at work that "I don't want your phone number; I already have someone".

<3

I see, so I'm a sleazeball and most of my friends are flirtacious and promiscuous. Either that or you're just a hypocrite. You think others are so shallow-minded when it's clear that you're the shallowest of them all.

It has nothing to do with their organs. It has to do with past experience. All of the men I've met, besides my fiance, have been total douchebags and just after sex all of the time. My entire family cheats on one another constantly, and all of my old friends from school share that same attitude.

I see, so when I asked you to help me with spoken French and in return I would help you in various academic subjects, you rejected me simply because I have a penis and by your logic, I'm only after your body. I see how it is.

If your family has issues with sex, then they have issues with sex. It's not just because they're men and women who are attracted to each other. THEY HAVE PROBLEMS.

From personal experience on my side, the majority of women aren't looking for a male friend to play video games with. They're looking for a compatible figure, regardless the other person's relationship status.
    I actually get both kinds of requests all the time (either gender, but mostly female, because most social networks are female-dominated), so I can tell you that they are. I'm surprised you would say the first line when PokéCommunity is so chalk full of people who are making video gaming friends regardless of gender.

From our experience, women and men alike are primarily just after sex when they befriend someone of the opposite gender. The wrong idea might even rub off without you knowing, and that's not good.
    While it's true that people can get the wrong idea, you are simply wrong on your reasoning. They're NOT primarily after sex. I keep in touch with people all over the world both online and off, and the kind you think makes up the overwhelming majority is only an extreme minority that spends too much time in chat rooms.

People aren't attracted to every guy/girl they meet, so unless you are attracted to every guy/girl in the world then you should be able to have a normal friendship.
    Are you suggesting that people should befriend people who they're not attracted to? That actually sounds somewhat reasonable, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I have a complete mix of friends from very girly girls to boy-ish boys, but I tend to lean on my guy friends more for advice and stuff, despite being a girl myself. The last school I went to was an all girls school and I ended up having no guy friends after three years there because I just didn't know how to interact with them and stuff, yet within three weeks of my current mixed school, I was best friends with a guy. I think it would be awkward maybe if I started going out with any of my close guy friends, but none of us think of each other in that way, we're just friends and that's perfect for me.

I think it's very helpful because there's times when they come to me for things that they don't want to go to other guys for because the guys would tease them for being girly or something (I dunno. They're weird.).

I think having a mix of friends is the best thing, because most people have different friends for different purposes, so it's whatever their comfortable with :)

I can totally relate. I go to girls for advice on different things all the time. You only get to live as one, so it's always a good thing to get the other perspective.

I myself have several female friends, though I have more female friends online than I do offline. Now that's either because I'm not as good at interacting with girls in person as I am online, or just because I seem to spend most of my time online now because I do online schooling and live in the boondocks. xD

I know what you mean. Before I was active on the internet, I never really talked to any girls except for a few daughters of family friends, and members of the extended family. Even then, I was weirded out by the whole experience. The internet helped me get over all that, and because I talk to so many different kinds of people, even in real life I can handle almost any social situation.

Why is having friends that are exclusively girls/boys unhealthy?? =/
    It's only unhealthy if you think it is. Think about it as a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you raise a little boy to believe that he can't control himself around girls, and if he gets involved with anybody female he'll have sex with her, then you're conditioning him from an early age into believing that he will have sex with any girl he associates with. That's just wrong, but unfortunately, this is how a large number of people around the world are raised.

I think I know what you're trying to say, but there are two types of people in the world, and everyone should know how to interact with each other in various situations.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I don't see why it would be bad for you. I have a lot of male friends, but a decent amount of female friends as well. I mean, most of them know were only friends, and nothing more. As long as the girls aren't bad or anything (you know what I mean), and vise versa for males, I think its perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I've always gotten along better with guys in general, and almost all my IRL friends are male. The first half of my life or so, all the girls shunned me, and though I never made 'friends' with any of them, most of the boys were at least kind. I also grew up having two little brothers, so male companionship is just more natural, I guess :3

I also tend to be a lot more in touch with my masculine side in general (not in terms of sexuality), and don't really relate to typical female things, so aside from having shared personal interests, I don't really have much to relate to with other women. Guys tend to judge less and care less about superficial or extraneous things (and seem to enjoy the company of a woman of a similar mindset).

Curiously enough, on the internet almost all my friends are female X3

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years

• Pretty much everything this girl has said, I can't be bothered to list them all off, so forgive me ^^ - Anxiety.

...Y-You're joking right? Aha... ahahaha!

So, every girl is attracted to your man and every boy is attracted to you?
    What about bisexual and gay men, can they hang around with your man? Can bi girls and lesbians hang around with you?
    Oh oh oh, and what about transgendered people? How do you deal with those? Is it just the phsycal parts that matter?!

Oh god. I can't stop laughing at these points. I don't care if they're your opinions, they're hilarious. Someone stop me, please.

If your relationship is that unstable, get out of it. If you can't hang around with guys, then... balls. So what if they try to seduce you? If you love him so damn much, turn around and say 'Sorry, I'm taken', and you should trust him to do the same. Also, don't phrase it as 'I'm not allowed to' because your relationship sounds somewhat abusive to me.

tl;dr
    - lol, that's it, to be honest. Just lol.

--------------------------------

And as a reply to the question? Nah, hang out with who you want. It's the personally that matters, not if they have a penis or a vagina, or both!
    I would be able to survive without my friends, a nice mix of boys and girls.

I'm only attracted to one of them... which is a very long story I don't want to tell. And the others, boys and girls, I'm fine with, I don't find it weird, I'm bisexual and as I said, I've only ever been attracted to one of them.

tl;dr
    - I'm comfortable with both genders equally.

EDIT: Oh my. I do apologise for this wall of text. I've added some tl;dr.

Last edited:

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • Yeah, I think it's healthy for a girl to have a best friend who's a guy (and vice versa). Although with me personally, almost all the guys I've been best friends with soon turned into a relationship. XD I know lots of people who have different gendered best friends though, so it's possible even though I haven't really experienced that myself lol.

My best friend is a girl, she's awesome! I like hanging out with girls more than guys, just cause it's more comfortable for me that way, don't know why, just is. :)

The Kidd

Godly Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah, I think it's healthy for a girl to have a best friend who's a guy (and vice versa)

That's generally how it works. I have many, many girl friends. I can just simply talk to them a lot better than I can with guys. Just because I talk to a lot of girls it doesn't mean that I am attracted to all of them.

I disagree with everything that Yusshin has said to the dot! I have girl friends, that are friends, some that are close friends, and 2 that are best friends. If I had a girlfriend and she has many guy friends, I cannot tell her to stop speaking to them when she knew them first because I know if she'd asked me I would say no. Why? Simple. Friends are forever, girlfriends/ boyfriends .....well if it's meant to be, super awesome! If not...well they can suck on it!

Anyways, I only have 2 guy friends. One of them happens to be deaf XD That doesn't stop him from being his crazy self. Of course, I had to learn a little sign language, but its much easier to write or text.

I also, usually go to the girls for advice or my deaf friend, but either way I know I can count on all of them to be there for me.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    It's great to have a variety of friends. It's much more fun that way.

Back