• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen OR/AS or X/Y?

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2014
    As title states (I apologize if this is in the wrong section)

The last time I played Pokemon was when I was around 12 or 13, about 8 to 9 years ago, which was Ruby/Sapphire. Since then, I haven't played Pokemon, but I have seen others play it or seen videos of the newer Pokemon versions every now and then. X / Y was the most recent addition that caught my eye, because the graphics looked very well done and the Pokemon looked interesting. As I recalled seeing on Nintendo news, there were quite a bit of events for X / Y that kept the game interesting, along with the nice Wi-Fi features introduced in the game. Seeing this, I finally caved and I was going to buy Pokemon Y for my 3DS, but stumbled upon the newer versions, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby both seem fun and are going to be the newest ones released into the market. It's also perfect, because I stopped playing after I finished Pokemon Sapphire, so it's like I'm replaying the game with brand new features and renewed graphics, which is great. But this is where the dilemma for me comes.

Should I get X/Y now or should I wait for the new ones? Do you guys/girls think Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby will have the same amount of events and features, if not, more than X/Y or would it have less? Also, does anyone think there will be more features introduced or the same amount?

P.S.: I can wait for the release of Ruby/Sapphire if it sounds better than X/Y

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Personally, I really enjoyed X & Y. It was great to see the Pokemon world in a very different way from the previous games, and I found that there were a lot of new features to the game that enhanced my playing experience. The new pokemon added in this generation were fantastic too and I gained a lot of new favourites.

The only downside, I would say, is having not much to do in the post game.

As for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, I'm very excited for those as well. Hoenn is by far one of my favourite regions and I'm so stoked to go back there and experience it again with all these new things added on.

I'd say, if you're feeling nostalgic, and don't mind playing the same/similar storyline to one you've played before, go for OR/AS. If you want an entirely new game experience, X/Y are awesome.

ps. Does it have to be either/or? Get X/Y now and then OR/AS when it comes out! :P

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    X and Y's postgame is a letdown. =/
    I suggest you either buy OR/AS or wait for the third version of X and Y. ^^

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • I loved X/Y, but I STRONGLY urge you to wait. What I'm saying is, ORAS are less than 6 months away (5 months, 1 week, 1 day and counting. :)) and waiting that long is well worth the indescribable Nostalgia you'll feel playing Alpha Sapphire than if you've played X/Y first. But once you've played AS, and decided to get back into Pokemon (I know you will. you can't not. The only people who don't like Pokemon haven't played it. Sometimes you just need an 8-9 year break.) go pick up X/Y, or, if we get a Pokemon Z, then that!

But that's just my 2 cents.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I'd say wait out for ORAS then get XY. XY has a pretty bad postgame imo. Although the storyline is kinda okay, still not satisfying enough.

Years
  • If you want a game based around Kalos, if you have waited this long, I'd suggest waiting for a third version, whether it be Pokemon Z (?) or a remake.

If you're strictly deciding on X/Y or RS remakes, I can't tell you the answer because I don't know how good a game that is yet to be released would be. RS remakes will have more content, though, at least in terms of mega evolutions. (except if the new mega stones could be transferred to X/Y)

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Tbh I think OR/AS is better than X/Y. Still, however, I think you should get Y at some point because I think X/Y are fantastic games. Even if Z is announced and you don't have it, I'd encourage you to get it, but it is your money and I don't want to tell you to waste it. :P

In summary, I'll just say that Y is worth your money. The people who complain about no post-game... Well, I'm not sure what they're thinking. Pokemon ALWAYS has an infinite post-game.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • The people who complain about no post-game... Well, I'm not sure what they're thinking. Pokemon ALWAYS has an infinite post-game.
    Being only able to breed and or battle does get boring after a while. :p

Anyways, on topic: I think OR/AS is going to be more exciting in terms of features, especially if they bring back Secret Bases and Contests. Imagine if they used all the new features of X/Y (Pokémon Amie, etc.) and brought back in stuff from R/S/E. :O

However, I agree with Jakeremix, X/Y is pretty good even for having a boring post-game. I'd say that you'd get X or Y now or even later...

tl;dr Get one of each game, probably OR/AS first and definitely getting X/Y down the line somewhere.

Back