• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Orange Islands game

Do you want an official Pokémon game with the Orange Islands?

• Yes

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • What's Orange Islands?

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Does anybody other than me want Game Freak to make a game with the Orange Islands? I would love to play a game with 34 islands to explore. I know the Orange Islands were just an anime filler and will probably never get an official game, but still!

Here's the only official map of the Orange Islands (I think). The map is from the book "Extreme Pokémon":
    cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5a/Orange.jpg

Last edited:

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    I would love to see a OL official game. I'm honestly surprised they didn't incorporate the Orange Islands into a remake, or other game. I think the Sevi Islands is unfortunately the closest thing to them(possibly even based on them, not sure) I think it would of made a great game for the DSi though.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Only issue is that in Fire Red and Leaf Green the Sevii Isles take up the place that the Orange Islands show on that map. In a sense the Sevii Islands were the Game version of the Orange Islands, but officially there is no connection.

With Surf being highly needed, I think a game like that would annoy more players than those that would like it. I mean Surf is the main complaint for Generation 3, if not the only complaint.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    I found an official map of the Sevii Islands and the Orange Islands together. According to this map the Orange Islands are located below the Sevii Islands. Even though that doesn't match with the first map I think that it could be a pretty good idea.
    psychoboost.com/stuff/world_map_sevii_islands_new_island_orange_islands.jpg

As for all the sea travelling I think that they could do what they did in FireRed and LeafGreen with the Sevii Islands and the S.S. Anne ferry, but with Lapras instead of a ferry. That Lapras would take the player from island to island almost as fast as in FireRed and LeafGreen, when the player has fullfilled the required events, such as beating a Gym or helping somebody etc.

I would also like to see a Lapras race mini-game where you can race against both NPCs and your friends.

Unfortunately, I don't think Game Freak will make a game with the Orange Islands, because the Orange Islands was a creation by the people that make the anime and not an original Game Freak creation. I don't say that it would be a problem with intellectual property rights just that Game Freak probably want to make something original from scratch.

I sent a suggestion about making a Orange Islands game to Game Freak game director Junichi Masuda and Game Freak art director and Pokémon designer Ken Sugimori via twitter last November, but they never answered. (Couldn't find any way to contact Game Freak CEO / creator of Pokémon Satoshi Tajiri). I've been thinking about starting an online petition, but I don't know if there would be any interest.

Last edited:
    Years
    The Orange Islands have never interested me. So I dont really think that I would buy a game based on that.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The Orange Islands arc was okay, but I really don't want it to made as a game because it would be very short compared to the other main games. That, and the very reason why the Orange Islands were made was to give GameFreak more time to make G/S.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Yes, make the Orange Islands. In my mind, it would be a lot like Hoenn, except a lot more Surfing, which is fine by me. I liked Hoenn. There would have to be some editing where the islands are larger so that you're not spending 70% of the game Surfing from island to island, but the Gyms sound promising.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    yes! tracy was awesome

and to get around it would be that you would use a lapras (what the other guy said), just like they did in the anime. it would be fun.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    For the Gyms they should have Cissy on Mikan Island, Danny on Navel Island, Rudy on Trovita Island and Luana on Kumquat Island just like in the anime and then add four more Gyms where they think it would fit. The four badges from the anime would be the same. The Gyms would be like ordinary Pokémon Gyms, none of the special challenges, just ordinary Pokémon battles.

The Elite Four would be on Pummelo Island where Drake is in the anime (not Drake from Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald). Drake would be the fourth Elite Four and Lorelei would be in that Elite Four too. Then they would just have to add two more in the Elite Four and the rival. When you win the Orange League you would get the same trophy as in the anime.

The could use some of the events that take place in the anime like the sinking island made of Kabuto fossils and the Crystal Onix, to name a few, but still make a lot of new storyline. The Crystal Onix could be considered a special shiny Pokémon like the Pikachu Coloured Pichu and the Spiky Eared Pichu.

Some of you might think: "What about the anime, would they just go back to the Orange Islands or put the anime on temporary hiatus until the next game is made?"
    I think that they could take the opportunity to make a season on the Sevii Islands, with added Gyms, Elite Four and Legendaries - Moltres on Mt. Ember and some others - (wouldn't be fun without that).

This is all of course just my hopes and dreams and it will probably never happen. :(

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
    With Surf being highly needed, I think a game like that would annoy more players than those that would like it. I mean Surf is the main complaint for Generation 3, if not the only complaint.

I loved Surfing in Gen III D:, or maybe just me.

Anyway, a game with Orange Islands would be awesome! They should just think of a good story to go with it. Maybe a mixture of Kanto and Johto Pokemon but not Hoenn, Sinnoh nor Unova. Maybe 6 starters to choose from too, and as you progress in the early game, you get a Lapras which automatically knows Surf and needs the first badge to use it. I'm thinking that the starting town will also have a Gym.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Originally posted by Musica
    Maybe a mixture of Kanto and Johto Pokemon but not Hoenn, Sinnoh nor Unova.
    Since all Pokémon in the Orange Island season were from generation 1 as far as I know, that would make the most sense. However, I would like to see Lugia on Shamouti Island, Articuno on Ice Island, Zapdos on Lightning Island and Moltres on Fire Island just like in Pokémon the Movie 2000: The Power of One. I'd also like to see Ho-Oh on Navel Island because it's similar to Navel Rock in both name and environment.

Last edited:

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
    I think it would be interesting. I mean, the closest I've ever been to the Orange Islands was Pokemon 2000, so I don't know much about them. So yeah. I'd love to play the Orange Islands.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    I've been thinking of starting an online petition for an Orange Island game and then send the petition to Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda of Game Freak via Twitter. What do you think about that? Do you think it's worth trying? Would you support it if I did it?

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
    I've been thinking of starting an online petition for an Orange Island game and then send the petition to Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda of Game Freak via Twitter. What do you think about that? Do you think it's worth trying? Would you support it if I did it?
    I would love to see an Orange Islands game, so, I support it.

Years
    I could do without it. All of the surfing that would have to be done, not to mention encountering Pokémon... It would be more trouble then it's worth.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Originally Posted by The Fallen
    I could do without it. All of the surfing that would have to be done, not to mention encountering Pokémon... It would be more trouble then it's worth.
    As I said before:
    Originally Posted by PokeAwsome94
    I think that they could do what they did in FireRed and LeafGreen with the Sevii Islands and the S.S. Anne ferry, but with Lapras instead of a ferry. That Lapras would take the player from island to island almost as fast as in FireRed and LeafGreen, when the player has fullfilled the required events, such as beating a Gym or helping somebody etc.
    So unless you think that the Sevii Islands in FireRed and LeafGreen are troublesome when it comes to travelling from one island to another I don't see a problem there.

If an Orange Islands game was made I think it would be cool with an old, sea chart-style ingame map.
    Something like this one: cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5a/Orange.jpg

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Any idea of region for a new game sounds good to me !
    And moreover Orange Island could make a great game. Travelling across islands could be very interesting, and I'd like to see how they'd make the Pokémon, as they're supposed to have special features being from the Orange Islands.
    Unfortunately, I fear that this game won't be ever planned by Game Freak.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Unfortunately, I don't think Game Freak will make a game with the Orange Islands, because the Orange Islands was a creation by the people that make the anime and not an original Game Freak creation. I don't say that it would be a problem with intellectual property rights just that Game Freak probably want to make something original from scratch.
    Let's put it this way - the anime bases itself off the games and puts its own spin on things. Basically the anime is to advertise the games. Game freak's last instance of basing something off the anime was Pokemon Yellow, in having Pikachu as a starter and throwing in Jessie and James with TR. They did it to ride off the then huge popularity of the anime - but now it is no longer as popular. Case in point - if they ever had wanted to use the Orange Islands, it would have been in FR/LG - but they made their own in the Sevii Islands.

And the Orange Islands? That was only used as a filler between the Kanto and Johto seasons, and is no longer relevant. Game Freak is a company and so their first priority is sales - a game based on a long ago filler season location on the anime that they do not associate with anymore would not work well.

In short - it's not going to happen.
    I sent a suggestion about making a Orange Islands game to Game Freak game director Junichi Masuda and Game Freak art director and Pokémon designer Ken Sugimori via twitter last November, but they never answered. (Couldn't find any way to contact Game Freak CEO / creator of Pokémon Satoshi Tajiri). I've been thinking about starting an online petition, but I don't know if there would be any interest.

What you can do is to tweet Masuda and Sugimori and ask if they could consider making an Orange Islands game.
    This won't work. They don't do fan suggestions and would actually probably just ignore such tweets. Getting people to flood them about it over twitter also kinda comes off as rude. (I also imagine it's commonplace for them to receive tweets or emails from fans telling them what they should do).

Online petitions also wouldn't work as the idea simply won't offer anything special in terms of sales - the only people possibly interested are people who watched that anime filler season...what, over ten years ago? And if they're no longer interested in Pokemon that won't make them interested either.

Lastly - it'd be very likely illegal if they actually used ideas from fans. Say they made it and made money off it - then the person who came up with the idea could claim they should have also profitted from it. And that's something no company would want to deal with. That in itself is basically why companies aren't going to take fan suggestions for game ideas.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Originally Posted by bobandbill
    This won't work. They don't do fan suggestions and would actually probably just ignore such tweets. Getting people to flood them about it over twitter also kinda comes off as rude. (I also imagine it's commonplace for them to receive tweets or emails from fans telling them what they should do).
    On second thought, you're right, I don't want people to spam Game Freak employees personal Twitter accounts, so I have removed the links to those accounts.

Originally Posted by bobandbill
    Lastly - it'd be very likely illegal if they actually used ideas from fans. Say they made it and made money off it - then the person who came up with the idea could claim they should have also profitted from it. And that's something no company would want to deal with. That in itself is basically why companies aren't going to take fan suggestions for game ideas.
    Well, I found this on pokemon.com's FAQ (support.pokemon.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1) under the General Information section:

How can I submit my ideas or suggestions to Pokémon?
    Submission Policy THE POKÉMON COMPANY INTERNATIONAL (TPCi) appreciates hearing from customers and product users. We welcome comments regarding TPCi's products and services. However, as a company policy, TPCi and its employees do not accept or consider unsolicited ideas, including product proposals, ideas for new advertising campaigns, new promotions, innovative or improved products or technologies, product enhancements, processes, materials, marketing plans or new product names. Please do not send any original creative artwork, suggestions or other works. TPCi wishes to avoid potential misunderstandings or disputes to people who may believe TPCi's products or marketing strategies might seem similar to ideas they have submitted to TPCi. Therefore, please do not send your unsolicited ideas to TPCi or anyone associated with TPCi, even if you believe that someone from TPCi has solicited you to do so. If you send TPCi your ideas despite our policy, then the following Terms of Idea Submission shall apply to your idea submission:
    Terms of Idea Submission By sending TPCi any information, material, or ideas of any sort (your "Material") you grant TPCi an unrestricted, irrevocable, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, perform, modify, transmit and distribute the Material, and you also agree that TPCi is free to use all Material that you send us for any purpose. You agree that:
    1) The Material will automatically become the property of TPCi, without any compensation to you, and you agree to refrain forever from enforcing any moral or other inalienable rights against TPCi for any activity that TPCi may undertake using the Material;
    2) TPCi can use the Material for any purpose and in any way, even give it to others;
    3) TPCi will have no obligation to return the Material to you or respond to you in any way; and
    4) TPCi will have no obligation to keep the Material confidential or to credit you for any use of the Material.
    I know that The Pokémon Company International and Game Freak isn't the same thing, but Game Freak would probably make a contract like that in case they would use a fan suggestion. Which they probably won't. The Pokémon Company International probably won't listen to fans either.

Consider the petition cancelled.

If anyone who reads this feel like making a petition of their own here's the best petition site I've found: petitionbuzz.com

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Let's continue chit-chating about the assumed awesomeness of an Orange Islands game. :)

Last edited:
    Back