• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen ORAS megas in XY?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    With the release of ORAS, we're going to have plenty of new things heading to ourselves, and one could possibly be mega-evolutions. X and Y currently doesn't have data for them, and if they did, we would've all known them by now. Anyway, here's the question; when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are finally available, do you think they might announce patches for X and Y so that all new megas (and other similar content) introduced in ORAS--well, not all, but most--would be accessible? If so, how do you think they would execute it? Would you personally like to see this happen? Why, or why not?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    With the release of ORAS, we're going to have plenty of new things heading to ourselves, and one could possibly be mega-evolutions. X and Y currently doesn't have data for them, and if they did, we would've all known them by now. Anyway, here's the question; when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are finally available, do you think they might announce patches for X and Y so that all new megas (and other similar content) introduced in ORAS--well, not all, but most--would be accessible? If so, how do you think they would execute it? Would you personally like to see this happen? Why, or why not?

I really think the only mega evolutions will be Latias and Latios, after all, MEga Evolutions were described as something that is native to the Kalos Region, so it would make sense that there wouldn't be any new mega evolutions in Hoenn, and even then Latios and Latias may just get their normal Soul Dew items and some Kalos giveaway gives them access to their mega stones

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really think the only mega evolutions will be Latias and Latios, after all, MEga Evolutions were described as something that is native to the Kalos Region, so it would make sense that there wouldn't be any new mega evolutions in Hoenn, and even then Latios and Latias may just get their normal Soul Dew items and some Kalos giveaway gives them access to their mega stones

Well, Masuda's said that he'd like to give all Pokémon (well, at least the fully-evolved ones) mega forms one day, if I remember correctly. If they make this system exclusive to X and Y, they're going to have some hard time achieving that, don't you think? :(

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Well, Masuda's said that he'd like to give all Pokémon (well, at least the fully-evolved ones) mega forms one day, if I remember correctly. If they make this system exclusive to X and Y, they're going to have some hard time achieving that, don't you think? :(

Well, Mega Stones for all fully evolved Pokémon requires some space in the ROM. :P Each Stone is a new item entry.

I think the only new ones will be Lati@s, which is disappointing to say the least... In 7th gen we might get some Unovian and Kalosian Megas, which would be great.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

you're forgetting the upcoming alleged Pokemon Z (it's not just X and Y that are Kalos) but on top o that, how many pokemon have been "fully" evolved in a game just to have the next gen come out with another evolution? (Magmar used to be it, then came Magby, then a couple gens later came Magmortar, it will be hard to give EVERY pokemon line a mega evolution unless you stop it from ever being able to evolve a normal, permanent way. (so if they gave Farfetched a mega evolution, or Kecleon, or Alamamola or whatever, those pokemon would never get an evolution beyond what they are. It took 4 generations to give Magneton it's evolution to Magnezone, or Lickitung's evolution to Lickilicky, or Rhydon's evolution to Rhyperior, so how many pokemon is gamefreak willing to cap their permanent evolutionary lines forever just for the sake of a temporary mega evolution?)

Well, Mega Stones for all fully evolved Pokémon requires some space in the ROM. :P Each Stone is a new item entry.

I think the only new ones will be Lati@s, which is disappointing to say the least... In 7th gen we might get some Unovian and Kalosian Megas, which would be great.

I'll be honest, I am kinda hoping that mega evolutions are a one off thing and it's gotten rid of in Gen 7 like the weather effects, or seasons that they seem to have abandoned as game mechanics. Yes, it is very cool, it's very fun, but it's too Digimon for my liking, and I would much prefer a permanent evolution that I can train for rather than temporary evolutions that you not only don't know the stats of unless you look them up online, but in some cases completely changes their stats (such as Mewtwo X becoming a physical attacker, so all teh training that you normally do for a special attacker is wasted because now it's suddenly a physical attacker in battle) granted, if it just made their regular stats better I might have a different opinion of it, but since some pokemon are fundamentally changed from their normal evolutionary forms (such as the previously mentioned special attacker becoming a physical attacker), I like the game mechanic much, much less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I'll be honest, I am kinda hoping that mega evolutions are a one off thing and it's gotten rid of in Gen 7 like the weather effects, or seasons that they seem to have abandoned as game mechanics. Yes, it is very cool, it's very fun, but it's too Digimon for my liking, and I would much prefer a permanent evolution that I can train for rather than temporary evolutions that you not only don't know the stats of unless you look them up online, but in some cases completely changes their stats (such as Mewtwo X becoming a physical attacker, so all teh training that you normally do for a special attacker is wasted because now it's suddenly a physical attacker in battle) granted, if it just made their regular stats better I might have a different opinion of it, but since some pokemon are fundamentally changed from their normal evolutionary forms (such as the previously mentioned special attacker becoming a physical attacker), I like the game mechanic much, much less.

I personally love Megas because all of them purposefully turn junk into gold. Charizard was the laughing stock of the community but now with both his Megas he's one of the best Pokémon in the game. Mega X turns him into a chief physical attacker which is good because his physical movepool is better.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023

Hm... well, problem is that even if they are to introduce Z, there might still be a dozen of generations ahead; along with those, they're going to be giving us hundreds of new Pokémon. If mega-evolutions were available in Kalos only, what would be their possible explanation when it comes to creating megas for them?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hm... well, problem is that even if they are to introduce Z, there might still be a dozen of generations ahead; along with those, they're going to be giving us hundreds of new Pokémon. If mega-evolutions were available in Kalos only, what would be their possible explanation when it comes to creating megas for them?

I really don't understand your sentence, but if I am understanding you, that is my point, if it is a one off thing (so only mega evolution in Kalos) then they'll only be in X, Y and Z, so they won't be in future generations at all (after all, if it's a hold item based thing, Gamefreak has already shown they won't allow transferring of items from one gen to the next, so if they simply don't include the mega stones in future gens then there won't be mega evolutions anymore)

I personally love Megas because all of them purposefully turn junk into gold. Charizard was the laughing stock of the community but now with both his Megas he's one of the best Pokémon in the game. Mega X turns him into a chief physical attacker which is good because his physical movepool is better.

yeah, I'll have to question this assertion, if Charizard was "the laughing stock of the community" (keeping in mind Luvdisc exists) how can mega evolving make him one of the best? it's base speed is 100 in all 3 forms, X's Sp Def is the same as it's original version, and Y's Def is the same as it's original version. Basically they only get a boost to their attacks and the Def or Sp Def of their respective forms. True, their attack boost is formidable, but that's really it Their speeds and (SpDef for X and Def for Y) are unchanged, so I don't see how it turns them from "a laughing stock" to one of the best pokemon in the game. Y still has the 4X weakness to Rock and true, X gains the Dragon typing but in the process loses flying typing and therefore gains a weakness to ground moves, so I wouldn't say it goes THAT far, personally.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    yeah, I'll have to question this assertion, if Charizard was "the laughing stock of the community" (keeping in mind Luvdisc exists) how can mega evolving make him one of the best? it's base speed is 100 in all 3 forms, X's Sp Def is the same as it's original version, and Y's Def is the same as it's original version. Basically they only get a boost to their attacks and the Def or Sp Def of their respective forms. True, their attack boost is formidable, but that's really it Their speeds and (SpDef for X and Def for Y) are unchanged, so I don't see how it turns them from "a laughing stock" to one of the best pokemon in the game. Y still has the 4X weakness to Rock and true, X gains the Dragon typing but in the process loses flying typing and therefore gains a weakness to ground moves, so I wouldn't say it goes THAT far, personally.

Charizard is near the top of the 6th gen real usage statistics at Smogon, which means skilled players are using him in OU and winning matches with him. Meanwhile, in 5th gen Charizard was NU and only had high usage because new players chose him due to his popularity.

Mega Charizard X's physical movepool is much better than its special movepool. With Flare Blitz, Outrage and the Tough Claws ability, as well as 130 base Attack, it's a deadly Pokémon. Fire/Dragon STAB is neutral against the vast majority of the metagame.

Also high stats don't mean a Pokémon is good (e.g. Articuno, Entei). And regular Charizard's offensive stats are 84/109, which aren't very good (ESPECIALLY Attack). The Mega Evolutions improve him massively.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If there are new Mega Evolutions in ORAS, I'd like to think that they could make patches so X/Y and ORAS are compatible. It wouldn't be that hard, and patches are a very common thing these days.

I really hope that all fully evolved Pokes don't get Mega Evolutions. That would be an absurd amount of megas, and then the metagame would revolve completely around them. That's no fun.

Part of the reason why Charizard got really good this generation is because it got not one, but TWO mega evolutions, making it somewhat unpredictable. Mega Zard Y and Mega Zard X have different checks/counters, so if you guess wrong, you've got a problem. Sure, Mega Zard Y is still frail and has a 4x (Stealth) Rock weakness, but makes up for that by having Drought (so OU sun teams don't have to rely on Ninetales, who is arguably worse than Charizard, and it weakens Water attacks against it), and raw power that rival's Reshiram's. Base 100 Speed is often enough to get by. As for Mega Zard X, Fire/Dragon is a good typing; its not that bad defensively, and offensively its pretty good (look at Reshiram again). Dual 130 offensive stats paired with stuff like Swords Dance or Dragon Dance make it really nasty. And they get Roost.

Part of the reason why it was considered a laughing stock was despite its insane popularity, it wasn't terribly good competitively. Charizard, the awesome and mighty.....of NU. Now it actually has a chance to try and live up to that popularity. I'm not saying its the best thing ever now, but its way better than it used to be.

Years
    I really hope that all fully evolved Pokes don't get Mega Evolutions. That would be an absurd amount of megas, and then the metagame would revolve completely around them. That's no fun.

Someone who agrees with me! I've heard this about all Pokemon getting Mega Evolutions various times, and I seriously hope that doesn't become a reality. Mega evolutions would become commonplace; nothing special.

If they're capable of applying a patch to ORAS that would accomplish updating the Megalutions in Kalos, I'd be all for it. Technology has evolved over the years at an astounding speed, and upgrades continue to be invented. Anything is possible! n__n

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Charizard is near the top of the 6th gen real usage statistics at Smogon, which means skilled players are using him in OU and winning matches with him. Meanwhile, in 5th gen Charizard was NU and only had high usage because new players chose him due to his popularity.

Mega Charizard X's physical movepool is much better than its special movepool. With Flare Blitz, Outrage and the Tough Claws ability, as well as 130 base Attack, it's a deadly Pokémon. Fire/Dragon STAB is neutral against the vast majority of the metagame.

Also high stats don't mean a Pokémon is good (e.g. Articuno, Entei). And regular Charizard's offensive stats are 84/109, which aren't very good (ESPECIALLY Attack). The Mega Evolutions improve him massively.

again, like I said, it's ONLY boosts are for it's attack stats and a boost to whichever Def/SpDef based on it's version while the rest of it's stats stay the same (so basically, unless you make a mixed sweeper, each one only gets TWO stats boosted and while the other 4 stay the same), all 3 Charizards have identical move pools so contrary to what you're saying, high stats DO mean a pokemon is good since that is the only difference between X and Y and original

Years
    The increased move pool comes from X making physical attacks valid, and Y's drought giving him Solarbeam as a reliable coverage. Not to mention the other possibilities that open up from having Drought. He can potentially make your team better as well.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    you're forgetting the upcoming alleged Pokemon Z (it's not just X and Y that are Kalos) but on top o that, how many pokemon have been "fully" evolved in a game just to have the next gen come out with another evolution? (Magmar used to be it, then came Magby, then a couple gens later came Magmortar, it will be hard to give EVERY pokemon line a mega evolution unless you stop it from ever being able to evolve a normal, permanent way. (so if they gave Farfetched a mega evolution, or Kecleon, or Alamamola or whatever, those pokemon would never get an evolution beyond what they are. It took 4 generations to give Magneton it's evolution to Magnezone, or Lickitung's evolution to Lickilicky, or Rhydon's evolution to Rhyperior, so how many pokemon is gamefreak willing to cap their permanent evolutionary lines forever just for the sake of a temporary mega evolution?)

I think one of the reasons GF hasn't given Unova and Kalos Pokemon megas is because they probably are leaving them open to have further evolutions in the future like how the first 3 (since Sinnoh's didn't have evolutions in V or VI, but a lot of it's Pokemon were evolutions of others themselves...) had.

Also I doubt they'll remove such a feature from future generations.
    Anyways back to the topic on hand: I think they will patch at least the stats (registering them) for the new Megas so that the game (XY) wouldn't think they're hacked Pokemon xD.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    high stats DO mean a pokemon is good
    Slaking and Regigigas say hi.

Stats are important, but they aren't everything. If you go by just stats, Slaking and Regigigas should be Uber....but they aren't. They're held back by their typing and abilities. Also, I think you didn't read my previous post, which offers additional info on why the Mega Zards aren't terrible.

Back