• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

organic chemistry

Years
    Today I tried to put a dodecane onto a molecule with amine functionality.

The TLC plates showed very confusing dots. Fml

I have no idea what you're talking about but confusing dots sounds like a problem (although problems in science can sometimes be breakthroughs in disguise. Maybe you'll be famous.)

Sir Codin

I have no idea what you're talking about but confusing dots sounds like a problem (although problems in science can sometimes be breakthroughs in disguise. Maybe you'll be famous.)
    Basically I think he had to bond a 12-carbon single-bond hydrocarbon to a compound that included nitrogen and hydrogen so that the end result is a compound with an amine bonded to it. I'm guessing the final product was at least C11-N-H24 (Undecane-1-amine)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Basically I think he had to bond a 12-carbon single-bond hydrocarbon to a compound that included nitrogen and hydrogen so that the end result is a compound with an amine bonded to it. I'm guessing the final product was at least C11-N-H24 (Undecane-1-amine)
    You got it, bro. Although I'm not naming the product because then I'd have to kill you (:

The dots worked out actually haha. Currently performing an extraction.

Spoiler:

Orgchem is dirty business.

Years
    You got it, bro. Although I'm not naming the product because then I'd have to kill you (:

The dots worked out actually haha. Currently performing an extraction.

Spoiler:

Orgchem is dirty business.

Why did you need to add the dodecane?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Why did you need to add the dodecane?
    Because the end application for the molecule is to affect other substances in a certain steric way. Which they do if they have a long carbohydrogen chain like that (:

Years
    Because the end application for the molecule is to affect other substances in a certain steric way. Which they do if they have a long carbohydrogen chain like that (:

Are you trying to inhibit a reaction through size or preventing certain orientations?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Are you trying to inhibit a reaction through size or preventing certain orientations?
    It's a bit more complicated and I can't mention details here or anywhere since it's company secrets hahah. But basically I have a project in which a certain substance is wanted. The substance is only commercially available as a mix between variants, but I want one of the variants as pure as possible. We've been looking at ways to purify it from its cousin and the best way so far is to use another molecule that only adheres to one of the variants and as such can sort them out from the others. They form a sort of complex. But oops sorting molecule isn't commercially available at a reasonable price, but whaddaya know, we have a synthetic chemist on our team! Off I go to build the sorting molecule myself, to hopefully then be able to use it for the original project haha.

Long way around? Maybe. But it's fun to get to do proper chemistry again :senpai:

Back