• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Osamu Tezuka ( The Godfather of Manga)

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Lover
Years
Any other fans of this brilliant man on here? I love this anime and manga works alot. It's sad that he died in 89 from Stomach Cancer.
Anyways I grew up on his works after I saw the two Unico anime movies they made before died.
Sadly he never go to finish The Phoenix saga which I think was his life's work :(

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I'm not gonna proclaim I'm the world's biggest fan or have all of his works or anything, but Tezuka is one of my inspirations. I'm gonna be cliché for a moment and state that my favorite work is Astro Boy. The reason for this is because of his overall appeal, and the ability to still get important lessons through. Like Jeff's Smith's Bone, I feel like Astro Boy is a series that can be picked up by young readers, it doesn't talk down to them, and it delivers some important messages here and there. I tend to enjoy works that have an all audiences target, because it's what inspires me to do whatever it is that I do. If I ever decide to write children's books or so, I'd love it if I could approach it in the same way that Tezuka was able to handle Astro Boy.

I'm also in love with the whole Star System idea, too, where memorable characters play different parts in different stories. It's an idea I want to be able to apply at some point as well. Dunno if it'll work too much in games, but I was definitely going to do it when I was considering independent comics.

I have a really thick anthology book back at home, it's a nice resource. I enjoy reading up on new insights regarding Tezuka. I'd love to visit the museum in Japan at some point. It might be the only touristy thing I'd want to do over there.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I'm ashamed that I have not read anything from his brilliant works... but... I'm deeply grateful for what he has done for the manga and I won't ever stop respecting him.
R.I.P., you will always be remembered.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I cant realy say im fan of the man. He has some rather...interesting rumors surrounding him. However I do respect his work and the way he influenced the industry.

Ive read some of Astro Boy. It was...Interesting to see how the cyborg manga etc came to be.

Ive read most of Black Jack and its propably my favourite of his works. I just love the whole "Doctor whos so good hes in it for the money" aspect of the whole manga. Haha. Also Jack is extremely likable.

Also I have his Metropolis on dvd...I havent yet watched it. Its...bit on the heavy side.

And lastly ive watched Cyborg 009 thats done in his style. You can realy see Tezukas influence.

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Lover
Years
I love the Black Jack manga and the animes that were released too.
I have the entire Black Jack OVA on DVD and I can watch
the Black Jack anime show on Youtube :)

Years
I really should give him a try. Everything I've heard says he's amazing and I have no reason to doubt that, but for whatever reason I've never picked up anything he's done. I think the closest I've come is that animated Metropolis movie from a while back and that was pretty good.

Didn't know he died of cancer. What a shame. I hate to see artists leave things unfinished like that.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I couldn't care less about most forms of anime but I still regard it as an art form and Tezuka was a pioneer in it. It's a shame he went of stomach cancer...

Anyways, I'm a MEGAFAN of Kimba the White Lion. I absolutely love it. I really want to get my hands on the Jungle Emperor manga, but it has not been translated to English as far as I know and even if it was I'd have to find it online.

I love the theme about the relationship between man and beast, and I'm obsessed with lions, so it's natural that I would love Kimba so much. But Astro Boy I've never watched, but it looks promising so I may check it out eventually. However, I have no interest in robots so I'd really prefer to read/watch more of his animal-themed mangas/shows/movies... I really want to read his manga-I think it's called Phoenix?-about the phoenix of life, especially after one of the GamesGrumps guys said it was his favorite manga of all time.

Now besides Kimba, I have watched the first Fantastic Adventures of Unico. The English acting was annoying as hell, but I couldn't find it in Japanese, so I was stuck with it. I'm too old to be a part of its target audience but I did still like it. Definitely interesting seeing a guy get impaled by a spire in a children's movie though lol

I loved Ringing Bell, which I think was heavily inspired from Tezuka (being connected with Shonen, I think?) but not directly from him.

Let's see... the only other thing I saw was a short about two cats, and the cat's human kills his wife. "Why does man kill woman when he can't get along with her?" was the theme lol. Definitely different, a refresher from the same things you see all the time. It's entitled "Male."

So yeah, I'm not that well-versed in Tezuka but I'd like to be.

EDIT: OH OH OH I forgot Bagi, Monster of Mighty Nature. Way too weird for me, didn't like it.

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Even if you don't like robots, I'd still recommend Astro Boy. The older animated works, for the most part, don't really make you think of him as a robot, which is what I think the point was. The 2003 series I couldn't get into because the English dub killed his character for me, and I'm just not into anime enough to buy, find, or even sit down to watch subs. Even then, from what I seen, it seemed to emphasize robots more than him being a boy that happened to be a robot.

On topic, though, I remember I saw Metropolis once, but I was too young to really get it. My older brother didn't care for it if I recall correctly. He may have even fallen asleep.

I also still need to watch Kimba. One of those "I've been really wanting to but can't ever find it offline" kind of things. Even if I can find something online, I tend not to watch it because I don't like staring at a computer screen any more than I have to.

Back