• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oslo, Norway: Bomb blast near Norway prime minister's office

Years
    Oslo: Bomb blast near Norway prime minister's office

Oslo, Norway: Bomb blast near Norway prime minister's office

Eyewitness: "Police are beginning to seal off streets where there is a danger of falling glass"

A large bomb blast has hit near government headquarters in the Norwegian capital Oslo, killing at least one person.

The offices of Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg were damaged extensively - a government spokeswoman said he was safe.
    Police said a number of people were injured in the city centre explosion.

No-one has said they were behind the attack, which witnesses said could be heard across the capital.
    Television footage from the scene showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets - smoke was rising from some buildings. The wreckage of at least one car was on one street.
    All roads into the city centre have been closed, said national broadcaster NRK, and security officials evacuated people from the area, fearing another blast.

"Police can confirm there were deaths and injuries following the explosion in the government quarter this afternoon," police said in a statement.
    Oistein Mjarum, head of communications for the Norwegian Red Cross, said his offices were close to the site of the explosion.
    "There was a massive explosion which could be heard over the capital Oslo," he told the BBC.

Government spokeswoman Camilla Ryste told the Associated Press Mr Stoltenberg was safe. Initial reports said he was not hurt.
    A spokesman for Oslo University hospital said seven people had been taken there for treatment.
    "I don't know how seriously wounded they are," he told Reuters.

Well even the Scandinavian countries aren't safe.

Still Europe has endured lots of terrorist activities over centuries. I do pray for the victims.

Last edited:

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    No. Norway is supposed to be perfect.

(I hope everyone [who didn't already die ;o;] makes it out okay!)

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Terrorists and their coward attacks. Seems that nowhere is safe nowadays.
    I hope they recover well from this.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Bad news. Two confirmed dead now. :/ It appears there's also been some shooting by an (as of yet) unidentified person.

Also, *facepalm* I've already heard conspiracy theories about the US government doing this to try to pin it on al Qaeda. Will it never end... Oh and an antisemitism one too.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Well even the Scandinavian countries aren't safe.

Still Europe has endured lots of terrorist activities over centuries. I do pray for victims.

With how you worded that sentence, sounds like you hope that people die from this. I am, of course, hoping that you did that by accident.

Years
    My first thought was that it was an accident. It's Norway, after all. The news of a shooting elsewhere makes me think this was part of a coordinated terrorist attack.

I read that it was a public holiday so the building was not as full as it normally would be - thank goodness for that. I'm kind of shocked that this happened in Norway of all places. I wouldn't think they had many enemies anywhere.

Years
    With how you worded that sentence, sounds like you hope that people die from this. I am, of course, hoping that you did that by accident.

Oh I was typing fast and forgot "for"

I seriously do apologize for that breach of grammar and intent. D:

But yes there has been a shooting incident also

Twin terror attacks shock Norway

Norway has been hit by twin attacks - a massive bomb blast in the capital and a shooting attack on young people at a governing Labour Party youth camp.

At least seven people were killed in the bombing, which inflicted huge damage on government buildings in Oslo city centre.
    Unconfirmed reports say four more died at the camp, on an island outside Oslo.
    PM Jens Stoltenberg, whose Oslo offices were among those damaged, described the situation as "very serious".
    Norwegian media said at least four people on the island of Utoeya were killed when a man opened fire indiscriminately.
    Police said the suspected gunman had been arrested, TV2 reported.
    No group has said it carried out the attacks but police say they believe them to be linked.
    Hours after the bomb struck Oslo, officials said some people were still inside the damaged buildings, some of which were on fire.
    Television footage from the government quarter showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets and smoke from the fires drifting across the city. The wreckage of at least one car could be seen.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    When we think about countries that are more lax about their security, we think of countries that are more liberal and have less restrictions on their people's rights like Canada, Norway, Finland, and Netherlands. Unfortunately, if terrorist attacks continue, the government's hand may be forced to place more restrictions on privacy rights. The same has happened in the the U.S. after the 9/11 attacks; the patriot act has really reigned-in many of our freedoms.

Essentially, terrorists have not only killed thousands of people over the years and plagued their victims' families, but they have also taken away our privacy rights. I cannot even cross the Canadian boarder anymore because the boarder patrol has been given the power to do WHATEVER they please, and they think that I am dealing drugs every time I cross the boarder because I am on one of their infamous "lists". I have never abused drugs, nor have I been convicted of any drug offenses. Yet, I get treated like interrogated and searched as if I am a felon. The same type of treatment has been exhibited by many American's since the Patriot Act's signing into law.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Whoever it is, they're going after the Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg. The bombing(s) being on his building and the now confirmed-related shooting incident being where Stoltenberg was reported to suppose to be going to. If I was him, I'd make a run for it.

Death toll's 20-30. :/

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years

Oh brother, I think we all know that he intended to pray for the victim's well-being. That is a harsh accusation; please do not flame others.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    Christian killing in the name of a God, whom refers to murder as a sin! What is wrong with these people?

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Christian killing in the name of a God, whom refers to murder as a sin! What is wrong with these people?

I know that this is a horrid situation. But can I say:

Finally, the media shows a CHRISTIAN terrorist. That's what Muslim terrorists do, kill in the name of God. Maybe, some good (although, nothing can bring back all those people. ;__; ) will come out of this by knocking some sense into people that not all Muslims are terrorists and not all terrorists are Muslims.

사랑해

I'll back off so you can live.
    Years
    I know this is mainly about the bomb, but whatever.

I cried when I heard about the 92 dead at the youth camp. That is absolutely devastating. Terrorists are out of control, and it's not only the U.S. that's in danger anymore. I don't think the world is trying hard enough. The killing of Osama obviously didn't help anything.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    R.I.P. to 98 (possibly, at least 85) killed in this string of incident. I feel really sad whenever I hear these kinds of news... What was that guy thinking? Crazy stuff.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    "Tomorrow we will show the world that Norway's democracy grows stronger when it is challenged … and that the answer to violence is even more democracy, even more humanity, but never naïveté." - Prime Minister Stoltenberg.

Years
    norway..the perfect and calm country....how could this happen ...i thought it was an accident or something
    how awful!!

Years
    I heard about what happened a bit late, I still can't believe it would happen to a country like Norway!

From what I've heard the terrorists was not only Christian but a heavily conservative extremist. So many things are going wrong here. Killing over politics and religion just sickens me.

Back