• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU RMT - Tyranitar Based

Leonix

You can also find me on Shoddy
Years
  • OU Team
    The main purpose of this team is to set up stealth rock and eliminate tyranitar's counters and any other pokemon that stand in his way of sweeping. Enjoy! :D
    Edited: I have made changes to my team thanks to your rates!

Metal Gear (Metagross) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 240 HP/80 Atk/190 SDef
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Pursuit
    - Bullet Punch
    - Meteor Mash
    - Stealth Rock
    Meta SR rock lead that is specially defensive so put some balance into the team.
    ---
    Purunga (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 178 HP/252 Atk/80 Spd
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Aqua Tail
    Changed from boah because putting it simply, he didn't work. I opted for the CB set because I new it worked from previous experience. Might change it for the DD set or something else if it still doesn't work.
    ---
    Shenron (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP/110 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
    - Dragon Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt
    The same gyarados set but I've gone for taunt >> EQ for slower walls trying to ruin my day. Has worked very well as replacements go.
    ---
    Devilman (Gliscor) (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    EVs: 42 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Roost
    Changed to a more offensive spread thanks to D_A. Cheers!
    ---
    Baba (Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Spd
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Reflect
    - Recover
    - Grass Knot
    Although he carries the ever so needed T-wave, as I've found out from using it, I really miss HP fire. Can anyone solve my problem?
    ---
    Ice Climber Pet (Empoleon) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP/6 Spd/252 SAtk
    Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    Changed from SD to specs as some of you pointed out I wasn't too strong on the special side. He's been a bit, meh.
    ---

Last edited:

=major yum!

I abide by the Gricean Maxims
    Years
  • ---​

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Aqua Jet
    - Drill Peck
    - Earthquake
    ---​

SD empoleon is the only ice resist I have on my team and thus is quite important to my team's synergy. No one expects physical empoleon and his main special counters find it hard to wall this set.​

Change this to a special set, or another pokemon entirely as your team really lacks the ability to overcome physical walls. Empoleon also doesn't help against bulky waters who give this team alot of trouble, especially after Celebi goes down. Speaking of Celebi use HP fire to beat scizor who can setup on it otherwise.

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    OU Team
    The main purpose of this team is to set up stealth rock and eliminate tyranitar's counters and any other pokemon that stand in his way of sweeping. Enjoy! :D​

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/90 SDef
    Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    Hippowdon is here to set up the rocks and the initial stream of the sandstorm to wear down other poke's and negate focus sashes.
    ---
    Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/52 Atk/30 Spd/176 SAtk
    Naughty nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    Tyraniboah is here to wall break and kill anything in it's path. I realise that the DD and CB varients pack more power physically but I wanted something that could hit from both sides of the spectrum. I'm open to change if it helps the synergy of the team. I chose flamethrower as to take out opposing scizors looking to kill me with a swift BP.
    ---
    Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP/110 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
    - Dragon Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake/Taunt
    Always consider taunt. It helps keep some opposing pokes from Phazing you out of existance. Waterfall / SE still gives good coverage after a DD anyway.

Standard bulkydos can come in on scizor, foretress and bronzong that are looking to cut ttar's sweep short and set up on them. The move provide exellent coverage.
    ---
    Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    EVs: 252 HP/42 Atk/216 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Roost
    I understand that it's a SS team but Gliscor doesn't do much these days. As much as I do respect what your doing here, I'd consider a replacement for Gliscor. Possibly something that you severly lack. Revenge Killer.

What I've always liked about SS teams with TTar is that Gar couples as revenge very nicely. Easy to switch into about anything.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
    Timid [+Spe, -Att]
    252 Spe / 252 Sp. Att / 4 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -HP Ice / Trick
    -Thunderbolt

Dancing gliscor can come in on the likes of lucario and friends directing fighting attacks at ttar and set up a SD to deal out the damage. EQ and SE give good coverage together and roost means he can survive for longer to aid ttar.
    ---
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/38 Spd
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power (Fire)

Celebi really does need HP fire for Scizors who can reeeeeally hurt it with U-turn (cb versions) or X-scissor (SDLO Versions)

Defensive celebi is my back up fighting resistance and can deal with the likes of breloom and machamp better than gliscor. Although if were to choose HP fire he would be able to handle lucario better but gliscor is good at that anyway and psychic gets STAB. He also makes a decent gyarados switch in should one appear.
    ---
    Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Aqua Jet
    - Drill Peck
    - Earthquake
    ---
    Meh I guess so
    SD empoleon is the only ice resist I have on my team and thus is quite important to my team's synergy. No one expects physical empoleon and his main special counters find it hard to wall this set.​
    Comments in bold.

I've always found TTar / Hippow on one team to be... ehhh.

Might consider a different lead. Possibly Suicide Zelf or a Zong

Leonix

Years
  • OK I'll defo change celebi so it has HP fire and I was thinking about changing hippowdon for suicide lead aerodactyl?

I may change my empoleons set to agilipoleon, but the element of surprize is worth running the SD set. Taunt is also tempting on gyarados, but again EQ has been very useful when I've tested this team.

Gengar is a very tempting option over gliscor so I may test it and get back to you.

Thanks for the rates!

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Well EQ / SE / Waterfall is great on Gyara. It just helps to have taunt for friends who come in on you and try to do things like wisp or so. Although, most Gyara checks are Scarfed and have all attacks (generally) so keeping EQ does help. It's also good for some fast electrics.

I don't like Suicide lead Aero. He does nothing but rock. I would try Suicide Zelf > it imo. Atleast Zelf can come in late game and blow up on something.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
    Naive [+Spe, -Sp. Def]
    252 Spe / 56 Att / 200 Sp. Att
    -Stealth Rock
    -Fire Blast
    -Grass Knot
    -Explosion

You might try Taunt but I prefer GK for Pert leads. Most leads get owned by suicide Zelf as well.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Ughh smogons SD Gliscor set is horrible.

Gliscor@Life Orb
    42 HP / 252 ATT / 216 SPEED
    Adamant Nature
    Trait : Hyper Cutter
    - Roost
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

So you can actually do more than 2 lol. I feel the ability to lure in and OHKO MAX HP/MAX DEF Bold Vaporeon (which the above set does) with SR up is too much to pass up on. Doing so will open up a Gyarados sweep for you much easier.

You also dont need Jolly because A. Bulky Gyarados walls all non Stone Edge Lucario and if you do run into one with Stone Edge its walled by Gliscor either way. B. No one uses Jolly Luke so Gliscor still outspeeds them with the above spread. C. Jolly Gliscor does pitiful damage.

Gyarados weak badly, i find Celebi an awful counter these days, more and more are starting to pack Bounce which utterly owns it and you also cant beat Ice Fang Gyarados without Thunderwave and /or Reflect. Which i highly advise doing to cripple said Gyarados and because your team is VERY slow and Empoleon and Tar would benefit from T-Wave and Reflect support too.

Celebi@leftovers
    252 HP / 252 DEF / 6 W/E
    Bold Nature
    - Thunderwave
    - Reflect
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover

I guess Empoleon kinda walls standard Bounce Gyarados sets (DD/Waterfall/Bounce/Sub or Stone Edge) but you cant really do much to said Gyarados, for this reason you could cosider Rock Slide on Empoleon, this could be placed over Earthquake.

Specs Tar might be cool too because as of now nothing really hits hard on the special side idk, and i generally find specs tar more effective than boah.

Gengar, Starmie, Vappy, Latias/surf/pokemon weak and nothing can take those on well. Id probably put a sp.defensive support Metagross >> Hippowdon to help with said weaks.

Metagross@Leftovers / Lum Berry
    240 HP / 80 Atk / 188 Sp.D
    Adamant Nature
    ~ Pursuit / ThunderPunch
    ~ Bullet Punch / Explosion / Earthquake
    ~ Meteor Mash
    ~ Stealth Rock

Something like this ?

Anyways just some general thoughts here.

Last edited:

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    He needs something with some sort of speed. As much as your every day status helps, it's always good to have something with Scarf or Priority on the backburner, for those off chances that they are packing scarfflygon or something that is resistant to TWave.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    He needs something with some sort of speed. As much as your every day status helps, it's always good to have something with Scarf or Priority on the backburner, for those off chances that they are packing scarfflygon or something that is resistant to TWave.

Huh ?

The Metagross i suggested DOES have priority, in addition this team also owns scarf Flygon lol

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I was more referring to the change in Celebi

I was using flygon as an example. I mean the can't rely purely on status

Last edited:

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • 1. drop empoleon for something like snorlax.

2. both gliscor and hippow on the same team will just be a hindrance. so yes, i agree, drop it for metagross.

3. give gliscor baton pass so that it can pass the SD to snorlax/gyara/meta. i prefer jolly as outrunning mixed mence is wonderful.

StrickeN

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I wouldn't go for Lax.

He's really really short when it comes to hitting on the special side. I wold opt for something like SpecsPoreon or so.

Leonix

Years
  • I've edited the thread so check out the changes and see what you think.

Thanks a lot to all those who helped out. Cheers!

Back