• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU Team For X & Y

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
  • So this is my first time really trying to get into competitive battling and I put this together after some consideration. I think the team is good but I would like to get some reassurance.

094.png

Gengar @Life Orb
    Levitate
    Timid
    4 HP | 252 Sp. Atk | 252 Speed
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Wave
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

First up I have Gengar. I originally planned to have him as my mega but I decided against it when I chose my second member. Typically Gengar will be a special sweeper with it's STABs and Thunderbolt and Focus Blast for coverage.
    127.png
    mega127.png
    127-m.png

Pinsir (Mega-Pinsir) @Pinsirite
    Hyper Cutter (Aerilate)
    Jolly
    4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Speed
    - Earthquake
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack
    - Swords Dance

Now here is Mega-Pinsir, my physical sweeper. With Swords Dance to boost it's already high attack, Earthquake and Close Combat are for coverage, and with Aerilate Quick Attack becomes a STAB flying priority move. The reason I chose Hyper Cutter over Moxie/Mold Break was that I plan to mega evolve right away so they'll be useless to me, but Hyper Cutter can prevent Intimidate Pokemon from crippling me.
    130.png

Gyarados @Lum Berry
    Intimidate
    Jolly
    88 HP | 248 Atk | 4 Def | 168 Speed
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Thunder Wave
    - Dragon Dance

Gyarados' purpose is to take out the Fire and Rock types that threaten Pinsir, mostly the Fire types. Also Thunder Wave to cripple my opponent and Dragon Dance to sweep. Lum Berry is to prevent being crippled, honestly I just didn't know what else to put.
    445.png

Garchomp @White Herb
    Rough Skin
    Naive
    4 HP | 84 Atk | 168 Sp. Atk | 252 Speed
    - Draco Meteor
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Poison Jab/Stealth Rock

As for Garchomp almost everyone would expect a complete physical set, so I decided to mix things up. I put in Draco Meteor for my Dragon STAB with White Herb so I wouldn't have to switch, and Fire Blast to take out Ice types. Earthquake for another STAB and coverage. Now for the final move I was hoping for Stealth Rock but I don't know if Garchomp can learn it in gen 6, so I put Poison Jab as a substitute to deal with Fairies.
    282.png

Gardevoir @Weakness Policy
    Trace
    Timid
    168 Sp. Atk | 88 Sp. Def | 252 Speed
    - Psychic
    - Moonblast
    - Energy Ball/Thunderbolt
    - Will-O-Wisp

With Gardevoir I can deal with the Dragon types that threaten Garchomp, and get the free switch if I predict right. Psychic and Moonblast for STAB, Energy Ball/Thunderbolt for coverage, I don't know which to use, and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers. With Weakness Policy if Gardevoir is hit by a super effective attack it gets a plus 2 to it's offenses, so I find that could be useful.
    681.png

Aegislash @Leftovers
    Stance Change
    Adamant
    252 HP | 168 Atk | 84 Defense | 4 Sp. Def
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Iron Head
    - Swords Dance
    - King's Shield

Lastly I have Aegislash. After a Swords Dance Shadow Sneak can deal a good chunk of damage and has priority, Iron Head for another good STAB, and King's Shield so I can switch back to my defensive form to take some hits. Leftovers is for longevity.

----

So that's my team, please let me know what you think.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I hate to be that person but as it stands we have no idea what's OU and what isn't. That being said there's a few changes you could make to make this team better. The poster above me has a valid point but it's very likely that Mega-Gengar will be banned if Smogon's current discussions are anything to go by.

Garchomp is much better off running a standard SD set I feel or even Band. With the advent of Fairies running around, I don't feel mixed Chomp is that good. You still need SR so though so maybe run standard SR Chomp? Draco Meteor doesn't change the fact that Garchomp's Attack is almost 50% higher. Hydregion and Salamence and hell even Charizard-X play that role much better anyway.

And as cool as Gardevoir is; I doubt it'd be good in OU. Her Mega Evolution perhaps but I can't see that gimmick working tbh.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Like stated, we don't really know what OU is or will be right now. This may be good for playtesting purposes but as of now we can't define OU.

As for the Pokemon... Right now, I feel that you have a problem with Pursuiters such as Tyranitar or Scizor. They can easily get rid of Gengar, Gardevoir and Aegislash, even on the switch. Because of this you may want to reconsider the roles of these Pokemon and what else can provide the same kind of role in the team.

The Garchomp set, although it may surprise a couple people, won't really work especially considering how much higher Garchomp's attack is than its special attack, though some Garchomp sets due use Fire Blast to KO Forretress, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc. Regardless, it's still a better idea to go with a standard set for Garchomp. Also, you may want to put an item such as a Life Orb in place of the White Herb. Like said, it's generally better to use a Swords Dance set or a Choice Band set but a mixed set would be better done by Salamence or a different dragon.

For Gyarados, you're running an EV spread meant for a Bulky Dragon Dancer. Because of this, I don't think Thunder Wave would be the best option - Rather, you may want to replace it with Substitute or Taunt, the former helping Gyarados to set up and the latter shutting down walls. A lot of people also use Bounce instead of Stone Edge due to its coverage and maybe the fact that Stone Edge is sometimes called Stone Miss...

As for Gardevoir, I don't think it's the best choice for its role of taking down dragons. You're making an OU team, but Gardevoir is technically in the NU tier - which is separated from OU by RU, UU, and the BL tiers. In addition, most dragons have a coverage move that will hit Gardevoir for extreme damage considering what its Defense stat is - A Garchomp, for example, won't hesitate to Earthquake you if it's not choiced. Togekiss may do this better as it's UU, and has much better stats both offensively and defensively, and can use a variety of sets. If you're dead set on Gardevoir, however, I'm not stopping you, though you may want to add Leftovers instead of Weakness Policy. Even if a special supereffective move hits it, due to its speed Gardevoir probably won't be able to do much after.

Also, for Gengar, you could probably replace Focus Blast with Substitute, Pain Split, or something similar - Focus Blast was mainly used to hit Steel types but now that they're neutral to Ghost type moves it doesn't really have a place anymore. If you don't want to do that you could also put a Choice Scarf on it and make it a revenge killer, which it can actually do quite well and your team is missing.

I'll try to think of some other things later but that's what came to mind when reading this.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Also, for Gengar, you could probably replace Focus Blast with Substitute, Pain Split, or something similar - Focus Blast was mainly used to hit Steel types but now that they're neutral to Ghost type moves it doesn't really have a place anymore.

It hits tar. :P

Also Mega Gengar is very overated, it doesnt hit that hard tbh and is revenge killed and falls short on alot of KO's you'd be surprised. I honestly doubt it will be banned from using it but i digress.

As for Aegislash, its really not Pursuit weak. Kings Shield gives it a heads up and if they use Pursuit they get a -2 atk for their troubles and you can set up on them easily.

Most of what i wanted to say has been covered.

Also use standard SD Chomp. It hits all the fairies hard enough bar Togekiss. If you want to hit Togekiss use Stone Edge, its infinitely more useful than lolpoisonjab. SD/Dragon move/EQ/Stone Edge.

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • I have yet to actually make the team so I'll take it all in consideration when I do and make adjustments when needed. Thank you everyone for your time reviewing my team :)

Back