• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Outdated Technologies: CDs and Vinyl Records

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Vinyl isn't oudated by any means. It preserves the music in better quality than CDs, and (in a lot but not all cases) they last longer before they rot than CDs. CDs, yes they are outdated. Technically outside of portability and price they were outdated from the get-go. The only medium that does better than Vinyl in this way is FLAC and perhaps other uncompressed lossless formats.

As far as the future is concerned? I give CDs up until next generation when no one actually uses a CD player outside of archival sort-of akin to floppies (I would say until all the CDs rot, but that's already happening to things that will never be printed again. Just look at PS1 games, they're deteriorating faster than any cartridge). Records will be around far longer, if only for the "I have something physical to show off in the special edition" value after the average hard drive gets big enough to hold FLAC files easily as MP3s.

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Vinyl isn't oudated by any means. It preserves the music in better quality than CD.

Not so. CDs store the songs in uncompressed wav format. Arguably, CDs are much more clear than vinyl records because you don't the popping noise that you sometimes get with vinyl.

I do agree with you on the part that vinyl will always be around for that, 'hey look what I have' factor

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Do you still go to stores to purchase physical albums? Every now and then, but it depends. With my recent interest in visual kei... it's harder. So, I don't really buy CDs anymore unless my favorite visual kei artists sell them overseas.

Do you own a collection of CDs and/or vinyls to this day? I do, but I don't exactly care about them. I feel like the stuff I used to listen to is the old me. As of recent, I do have a small collection of CDs. However, my mom actually has a shitload of them.

How much longer will it be until you think purchasing physical albums in stores will no longer be a thing? I do think it's only a matter of time. I mean, with things like the iTunes store and other music-buying sites... CDs are going to start becoming less and less of a thing. In fact, I've actually started to try buying a lot of my stuff in the iTunes store because it's easier. Thing is, visual kei is NOT easy to find anywhere. I have no idea how to access the Japan iTunes store, or even if I'd be allowed to buy things there. :/ So yeah.

Also, to stay on this topic somewhat... what's the difference between vinyl and CD anyway? I'm kind of confused here. D:

Years
  • Thanks everyone for your input! :] I realize that I was late getting this one unstuck and then a new one up, but life caught up with me and I haven't had time.

As always, you guys are welcome to continue discussing in this thread, and I'll have the next week's topic up later on today! :)

Guest123_x1

Considering my tastes in music being different from just about everybody else here, I haven't bought a CD new in several years. It's also a long time since I bought used records at thrift stores (such as Goodwill or Salvation Army). My last physical copy music purchases have been via old records.
    In the past few years, I've also noticed the music section at big-box stores shrinking considerably, given it seems that everybody wants to do everything on smartphones and satellite radio nowadays. Eventually, major retailers such as Walmart will likely have no section for CDs at all.

My collection of CD's isn't very large or exciting to boast about. However, I do have a few LP albums, a bunch of 45s, and even some 78 rpm records (the latter a format introduced in the 1890s and phased out in the late 1950s-the majority of records in this category are actually pressed of shellac-based compounds, and can break easily. Not really surprising nobody's mentioned this format here.) As I mentioned, I bought all my vinyl and shellac used via thrift stores.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Nothing beats getting a physical CD, nothing. CDs of bands I like are hard to come by here but I love collecting my favorite albums in CD and Vinyl form.

Back