• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Over Training' Starters?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • Ever since R/B/Y, I always train to the same level, and never train one super-strong. My brother would sometimes play my game and raise my Blastoise to 60 and the rest would be 30, and it always angered me :s It's not a balanced gameplay.

As long as it's in-game, it won't hurt anyone.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • up until the elite four, my team is only three strong pokemon. my strategy (up until then) is to just pad out my team with weaker pokemon and have a truckload of revives/max potions, just in case I haven't trained my main pokemon enough. but when I hit victory road, I start thinking about strategy and pick out and train other pokemon. but those first three pokemon are always the strongest in my team.

Hydra

Poke'mon Master C:
    Years
  • I usually quit using my starter in the 20s. And try to keep my pokemon all the same level.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I never over-train anything exept the powerhouse of my team. I try to keep it all balanced.

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
  • Its not good when theres only like one super high level pokemon and the others are just useless.
    He has to train the others to make a balenced team or nothing will work properly (unless its battling with those fail bug catchers)

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I was also like this on my Sapphire in 2003's Christmas (I was 5 >_<) .
    Now I'm grown-up and I know how to build a Pokemon Team ! You should simply tell him to train more Pokemon or he'll lose . Battle him and show him he's wrong if he won't understand .

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I used to do that a lot... It was fun, but I only really did it because I was still getting the hang of the games. There's honestly nothing wrong with it, though... Whatever he likes best.

You know, I wish that the wild Pokemon in the early stages of the game were better than just normal-type HM slaves and bugs. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones, but it would be a lot easier to focus on raising a team if there were more interesting things to catch in the beginning.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2015
    I completely over trained my cyndaquil in Soul Silver, especially because of the Bell tower and all those bell sprouts lol... couldnt resist using fire.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • I used to do that all the time, now I resist the urge. :pink_laugh:

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • Hey, I know this one kid whos a hopeless-case at pokemon. He always over trains his start and by the time of the 3rd gym he has the final evolution of it. All his other pokemon are untrained and once his starter is gone he looses. I want to help him even though he fails. Got any tips for him?

Ever since R/B, I did this.
    Trained only my starter.
    Used it alone, catching stronger levelled Pokemon along the way which I never really used, except for HM Slaves and Revive Bait.
    And when it came to the Pokemon League, I used the Ultimate Trained Starter and a team of Pokemon I caught in Victory Road. HAHA.

Recently though, I've taken to training actual teams. Which is both new and weird for me.
    But I'm enjoying the games a lot more now! =3

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    that happened to me on pokemon blue 3rd gym wartotle lv.21 pidgey lv.11 bellsprout lv.14

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I'm gonna overtrain my stater, then when the E4 are beat (or before) Ill actually work on building a team with EXP. share.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I train a full party of Pokemon and tend to keep them all around the same level.

My brother once played through Platinum with only his starter, and he faced down the Elite Four with a Lv78 Infernape. Did pretty well against them, IIRC.

Back