• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overall Generation Ratings (OGR)

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    I made this thread to ask you guys; overall, what rating would you give each generation? Please rate out of 10 and tell us why you rated it that.

The First Generation (Talent at it's best.): 10/10
    I remember getting my first pokémon game. Pokémon Blue. My first EVER pokémon, Blastoise. I loved roaming this mysterious world filled with sad ghosts, a pokémon based on chesire cat from Alice in wonderland (Gengar). Pokémon being experimented and tortured by Team Rocket (Mewtwo). No pokémon was repetitive. Alien Pokémon (Clefairy), ManMade Pokémon (Porygon), A boxer and a martial artist (Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee). The pokémon weren't too detailed while they were a bit detailed to the point they're simplistic yet, lovable.

The Second Generation (Sometimes Quantity is a good thing.): 9.5/10
    More awesome pokémon. Not much though. That's what made me mad when I was like 7 or 8. How did the first generation have 151 pokémon while the second only had 100 or so. I also liked the fact they added more types like Dark and Steel. This generation also holds my favorite pokémon, Feraligatr. They also added more cool legendaries, this generation holds my favorite legendary pokémon, Lugia. This was my favorite TV season.

The Third Generation (The last amazing generation.): 9.5/10
    Guess what? EVEN MORE AWESOME POKEMON. Ludicolo, Wailord, Walrein, Mudkip, Shedinja, oh god I can go on, but I pretty much love all of the pokémon in this generation. The only drawback of this generation I found was that, everything seemed friendlier... Also, this was my favorite season for the pokémon series movies (only the movies cause they seemed beautiful for me.)

The Fourth Generation (...): 5.5/10
    I was so excited for pearl, then I met the pokémon. Omg, how boring this generation was. There was no zing to this generation. It was hard to find 6 pokémon I liked. I didn't even like the starters. Show was too child oriented too.

The Fifth Generation (Alright, nintendo you're getting your groove back): 9/10
    I hesitated for this pokémon generation since the last one was bad. OH YEAH, starters awesome? Check. Cool wild pokémon? Check. Original Gym Leaders? Check. I found a team very easily since the most of the pokémon were cool. Some pokémon I must admit were VERY stupid. Like Vanilluxe the ice cream pokémon that can learn acid armor and Cofrigagus the coffin pokémon...

Overall Pokémon as a game: 9.5/10

Hibaru

Advanced Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I made this thread to ask you guys; overall, what rating would you give each generation? Please rate out of 10 and tell us why you rated it that.

The First Generation (Talent at it's best.): 10/10
    I remember getting my first pokémon Blanket. Pokémon Blue. My first EVER pokémon, Blastoise. I loved roaming this mysterious world filled with sad ghosts, a pokémon based on chesire cat from Alice in wonderland (Gengar). Pokémon being experimented and tortured by Team Rocket (Mewtwo). No pokémon was repetitive. Alien Pokémon (Clefairy), ManMade Pokémon (Porygon), A boxer and a martial artist (Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee). The pokémon weren't too detailed while THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER were a bit detailed to the point THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're simplistic yet, lovable.

The Second Generation (Sometimes Quantity is a good thing.): 9.5/10
    More awesome pokémon. Not much though. That's what made me mad when I was like 7 or 8. How did the first generation have 151 pokémon while the second only had 100 or so. I also liked the fact THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER added more types like Dark and Steel. This generation also holds my favorite pokémon, Feraligatr. THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER also added more cool legendaries, this generation holds my favorite legendary pokémon, Lugia. This was my favorite TV season.

The Third Generation (The last amazing generation.): 9.5/10
    Guess what? EVEN MORE AWESOME POKEMON. Ludicolo, Wailord, Walrein, Mudkip, Shedinja, oh god I can go on, but I pretty much love all of the pokémon in this generation. The only drawback of this generation I found was that, everything seemed friendlier... Also, this was my favorite season for the pokémon series movies (only the movies cause THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER seemed beautiful for me.)

The Fourth Generation (...): 5.5/10
    I was so excited for Hippopotas, then I met the pokémon. Omg, how boring this generation was. There was no zing to this generation. It was hard to find 6 pokémon I liked. I didn't even like the starters. Show was too child oriented too.

The Fifth Generation (Alright, nintendo you're getting your groove back): 9/10
    I hesitated for this pokémon generation since the last one was plasplasbad. OH YEAH, starters awesome? Check. Cool wild pokémon? Check. Original Gym Leaders? Check. I found a team very easily since the most of the pokémon were cool. Some pokémon I must admit were VERY stupid. Like Vanilluxe the ice cream pokémon that can learn acid armor and Cofrigagus the coffin pokémon...

Overall Pokémon as a Blanket: 9.5/10

Well, I actually find 4th gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen has more interesting Pokemon. 1st are too basics. 5th gen has many weird Pokemon. But I must admit this gen is way more surprising than the rest gen. Also, this is the first gen that contain New Pokemon for the entire Poke Dex. Unlike the other Gen keep reviving old Pokemon by adding their new Pre/Evo. It also the first Gen that contain many features. I must admit I raised my eyebrows for 5th gen.

Surely that each Gen has their own coolness.

Last edited:

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    Eh, I really hate when they add evolutions. For instance, I ADORED Rhydon, and of course they add rhyperior. Now I feel like complete garbage that I can't use rhydon anymore cause of a better evolution that doesn't look anything like him. Same with Porygon-Z, really? He turns evil all of a sudden? Mamoswine was ok, piloswine wasn't very interesting... (though swinub is very cute). Gliscor is terrible, just looks like a variation, not an evolution. Some evolutions were good though, like adding scizor and steelix. They changed the design to the point that we know the pre evolution poke was there and still have a bit of a nostalgic memory of them. The only pokémon I really liked from the fourth gen was a legendary and his name was darkrai.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2011
    2nd Gen was by far my favourite because I think they tried to play it a little safe when they made 1st gen and didn't really get creative with the pokemon and game play. I'm also really impressed with 5th because they took a nice step up from 4th which I found to be garbage. Of course 5th has a few mistakes that some of the other generations didn't have *cough* Sigilyph *cough* and I enjoyed third but I found it was a bit too much surfing and all of the towns seemed to be to similar, it also didn't have much of a storyline put into it which I think is the best part about 5th. The story line in Black/White is so amazing and thought through. Anyways just my two cents...I hope I'm not rambling :P

GaXeL

Feraligatr Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    Yeah fourth gen I think they tried to make it more appealing for five year olds.

Back