• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated artists?

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    Sorry what? Have you heard Kiss before? Or Slipknot? they're nothing alike. Different genre for starters. This is Kiss and this is Slipknot. Slight difference eh?

-.-
    I know what's slipknot and what is kiss, did you read my all text? I think it shows that I know a little of music, isn't it?
    I only say that because they're both very popular by their image. Everyday I see a Kiss/Slipknot t-shirt because they have a nice logo, style, etc etc. I know their music is totally different. Also, Slipknot music is even worse than Kiss' one. That's why I called them modern Kiss.
    About Radiohead, in my country they are sooo much overrated, that's why I talk about them. AC/DC overrated? Yes, I agree with you, another good example ;)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ke$ha is not overrated because no one holds her on a high pedestal LOL... but I forgot to mention who I though was

Rihanna - I Love her, I really do. Her las album, Rated R, was great but every album before was mediocre. She sells a lot of record but she is not a great talent. I just hate when people compare her to actual vocal forces like Beyonce or Mariah!?!?!?

Britney Spears - Lol, I'm naming all artists that I love and it's sad. Britney makes great pop music but she can't really sing that well. I will admit, she has a unique voice but her runs annoy me and it tends to be nasally, similar to Rihanna, at times. She also has not made he mark in the music video world yet, other than the Toxic video to me yet. It's just, Pop music can actually great vocals proved by Beyonce, Xtina, and Mariah Carey, so when someone gets by with a mediocre voice like this it is proof that some artists are overrated. Love Bitney, but she is overrated... but she poops on Ke$ha tho

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Lady Gaga - Clearly talent has no place in the music industry today.
    Justin Bieber - No explanation needed.
    Miley Cyrus - Once again, no explanation needed.
    Metallica - Master of Puppets is the most overrated metal song/album ever. Megadeth is much better, too.
    Guns 'N Roses - The poor man's AC/DC.
    Slash - Overrated and a sellout.
    Anything Nu Metal - Rap and metal do not go together. Just because RATM did it successfully doesn't mean these guys can.
    Rihanna - OH GOD MY EARS!
    Radiohead - Average and way too over hyped.
    Nickelback - Don't get me started on the things wrong with this band.
    Green Day - Ugh...
    Nirvana - Nirvana is my favorite band along with Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, but I admit they are very overrated.

lol @ Queen being overrated.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Queen? How can you hate on Queen??

Nickelback and Nirvana are the two biggest offenders, imo. I absolutely positively cannot stand the former while I like some of the latter's music, but everything following Cobain's death was the exact opposite of what he wanted.
    U2, Creed, John Mayer and more recent Green Day are also on my list. I've sort of swayed away from being a music snob, though.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    When you ask people to list artists that they think are overrated, they list bands that they don't like, and they get mad when people think a band they like is overrated.

That said, I also agree with you on almost all your points. I only disagree with you on Iron Maiden. They were one of the leading Heavy Metal bands of the 80s.
    I also disagree with the guy who said Pearl Jam, but that's just because I really like Vedder's voice, and their guitarist is great.

I agree with all the crappy bands you guys listed and would like to add a few of my own.
    Daft Punk - I can't really think of a reason why they are, but I bet you can't give me a reason why they aren't.
    Deftones - Ugh. I listened to White Pony and Diamond Eyes and just couldn't see why people like them so much. Explain, fanboys.
    Linkin Park - Haha.
    Forgot one. Avenged Sevenfold - **** The Rev. He was a ****** drummer. And the vocalist sucks too. The guitarist could be really good if he got a better band. I will admit though, I didn't hate them back when I played GH2 hardcore and heard Beast and the Harlot.

@Kid Coma
    I like your avatar :P It's from that one show they had on adultswim, right? "The Room" or something?

Last edited:

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    For all the people saying Lady GaGa can't sing, she CAN. She sings very good live. It's just her music that doesn't really give her any chance to show off her voice.

Umm... trying to keep my opinion from everything...

Britney Spears - Can't really sing. :/
    Lady GaGa- Good, but not as good as people hype her up to be. Overrated.
    Ke$ha- I don't even know if her music is meant for her to sing. She's always sounded like of like a rap artist to me... maybe that's only because she can't sing.
    Black Eyed Peas- I don't know a song that doesn't repeat the same thing over and over and over again.
    Beyonce- Not exactly SHE is overrated, but her song Single Ladies is not all that. :l
    Rihanna- Her voice is flipping annoying.
    Taylor Swift- Can't sing. :[

And personally, I don't get what's so great about rap. It's not even singing usually. :[

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Lol @ Beyonce being overrated. She is the only pop performer who can actually deliver great vocals and a dance performance coincidentally. She also make great music videos without using gimmicks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I didn't say Queen are bad. Most of their defenders in this thread comment on Freddie Mercury's talent, yes he was a talented individual, but Queen is a band and as a band I feel that they get way more praise than they deserve. Yeah they made good songs, but they were hardly groundbreaking, and Queen are nothing without Mercury.

Agree with everyone that said Nirvana.

I did not say Gaga was not talented, if she had no talent she wouldn't be where she is now. It's still a fact that she's overrated though, plenty of people can play the piano and they don't reach the same level of fame she does.

Iron Maiden are good, but they're hailed as one of the gods of metal when (imo) they weren't as creative as other bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but I don't think a lot of the popular metal bands in the 80s really were. They basically played at a faster tempo, which is then regarded as groundbreaking.

Also, The Cure. I like them, but they are not as good as what they are made out to be.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    -.-
    I know what's slipknot and what is kiss, did you read my all text? I think it shows that I know a little of music, isn't it?
    I only say that because they're both very popular by their image. Everyday I see a Kiss/Slipknot t-shirt because they have a nice logo, style, etc etc. I know their music is totally different. Also, Slipknot music is even worse than Kiss' one. That's why I called them modern Kiss.
    About Radiohead, in my country they are sooo much overrated, that's why I talk about them. AC/DC overrated? Yes, I agree with you, another good example ;)

Ah well I got confused as I thought were talking about music and not costume. I don't think there's any band that are overrated due to their look, of course it can add to a band's popularity but when it comes down to it, if you're listening to an album you're not going to be concerned with what the band look like at all. But what I don't inderstand is how you say that you were making the point that Slipknot's music is worse than Kiss, so in that case didn't I interpret you correctly seeing as in you're comparing the two? Kiss are strongly image, but image in music crosses borders into the world of fashion which is kinda off topic since I dont really think bands are overrated due to their look.

Hair metal is a big thing in the 80's which led to a lot of overrated bands, look at Whie Snake or Poisen for example.

Also the note on Iron Maiden, I just feel they deserve the position for sure, as some of the gods of metal. I think if you listened to them a little more, their older stuff, you'd see they're very diverse. Black Sabbath are less creative imo. More influential though, limited good albums for the amount they released imo. Great band, especially for one that originated in the late 60's. Playing at a faster tempo led to a whole new genre, Speed Metal, which Iron Mainden had an hold on creating. When you look at "groundbreaking" metal bands, I would say that Maiden are very much up there, I mean what other bands could you think of that have brought to metal what they have? Though, I see what you mean of course, but I just feel that if you listened to their stuff a little more, you'd see their diversity. Then again, personal perferrance may have a large hold on that opinions.

Also, Linkin Park after Hybrid Theory. Enough said on that really, one of the largest bands in the world, and after what? Minutes To Midnight was just... So messy imo, I wouldn't be able to class that album or slap a genre on it. Hybrid Theory was astonishingly good, but I'd rather see RATM live if I knew that Linkin Park might play anything not on meteora or Hybrid Theory, bar maybe Givin Up or some of their demo's such as Qwerty.

Years

Will you've linked me to metal songs XD
    I just have a wide variety of genre's I like.

Ahhh, yes. I remember now.
    My bad.

Look, I have liked metal for many many years and I have been a fan of metal since the early 90's.

Personally, I think Iron Maiden are as much metal as Lady Gaga is. Just their style and their songs just annoy me. Maybe it is just Bruce's singing style, but if I don't like the singing, then I don't like the band, normally.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Yeah I know what you mean, they're more so power metal, Bruces voice is very powerful and almost opratic, the guitars aren't very heavy and very melodic so they're not the mainstream metal like Metallica are, still the strong influencial entity though.

Years
    Yeah I know what you mean, they're more so power metal, Bruces voice is very powerful and almost opratic, the guitars aren't very heavy and very melodic so they're not the mainstream metal like Metallica are, still the strong influencial entity though.

Maiden do influence some bands, but not the ones I listen to, which is obvious.

Someone once said that Machine Head owned everything to Maiden, I nearly slapped them. Pantera were MH's biggest influence.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    Ah well I got confused as I thought were talking about music and not costume. I don't think there's any band that are overrated due to their look, of course it can add to a band's popularity but when it comes down to it, if you're listening to an album you're not going to be concerned with what the band look like at all. But what I don't inderstand is how you say that you were making the point that Slipknot's music is worse than Kiss, so in that case didn't I interpret you correctly seeing as in you're comparing the two? Kiss are strongly image, but image in music crosses borders into the world of fashion which is kinda off topic since I dont really think bands are overrated due to their look.

Hair metal is a big thing in the 80's which led to a lot of overrated bands, look at Whie Snake or Poisen for example.

(...)

Also, Linkin Park after Hybrid Theory. Enough said on that really, one of the largest bands in the world, and after what? Minutes To Midnight was just... So messy imo, I wouldn't be able to class that album or slap a genre on it. Hybrid Theory was astonishingly good, but I'd rather see RATM live if I knew that Linkin Park might play anything not on meteora or Hybrid Theory, bar maybe Givin Up or some of their demo's such as Qwerty.

So.. let me see if I can explain myself..
    When you go to a Kiss concert, you see a lot of people with those paintings on their face, like the band does. And that attracts many people to the concerts, because they have something different from the others. That's how image make some bands overrated. Of course you don't paint your face just to hear a cd of kiss xD
    Hair metal is another example of how image make overrated bands, like you said. As far I as can see, you like Slipknot and I hate. I think they're posers and they are not metal, they sound really bad, etc etc. Also, if you go to metal archives website, you can't find there any info about them, otherwise that 'if you try to put slipknot here as a metal band, you'll be banned forever'. For these and more reasons, I think image beneficts them and makes them overrated, but if you like the band, sometimes it's harder to recognize that. Just like I can't recognize Queen is overrated, like some people have said here.

About Linkin Park, it was good from your part to refer them. They only make one good cd, then.. nothing. I don't know how are their popularity in the rest of the world, but in my country they are totally overrated -.-

Years
    Justin Bieber - No explanation needed.

If anything Bieber is underrated, just because his voice is unusually high a lot of people will call his music awful and not even bother listening.

Queen probably are, they're worshipped when you know everyone only cared about Freddy Mercury. I like Queen but the probably are.

Lil Wayne is overrated in my book.

I'm not sure anyone outside the UK will have heard of them but N-Dubz are aswell, some of their songs are okay but their only good song is Number one (which only had one of their members and I only really liked because of Tinchy Stryder) so that hardly counts. I don't see how they are as popular as they are.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    I'm not sure anyone outside the UK will have heard of them but N-Dubz are aswell, some of their songs are okay but their only good song is Number one (which only had one of their members and I only really liked because of Tinchy Stryder) so that hardly counts. I don't see how they are as popular as they are.

Yes. Oh god yes. N-dubz are actually SO bad, I sometimes wonder if they're maybe a parody group and I'm just not getting it.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Aw, darn. I'm a Nickelback fan. All this hate is making me sad. ;_;

I agree that Lil' Wayne is overrated. He sounds absolutely horrible to me. But...whether or not a band is overrated seesm to be based on personal opinion. I find Nickelback a band worth listening to once in a while...but no one else on here does. *shrug*

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Yes, this post is primarily about Lady Gaga...

I think a lot of people like to point fingers and call an artist overrated without really getting to know them as an artist, but just listening to one, maybe two songs. A lot of artists are put out there - especially pop artists - for the radio hits. Things that people think will play well in someone's car that people can dance to, is in my opinion, the music industry's main concern. Most people want a song to play on the radio that they can dance to and sing along with, as a matter of fact. But with that, those are usually the overproduced songs that draw attention to the artist and people only seem to listen to that song.

Everyone that knows me knows that Lady Gaga is my favorite artist, and yes, of course I'm going to post my opinion of her where many others seem to think that she's not creative, seeing as how that's something Gaga herself aspires to continue to be. The main thing that sticks out to me is the autotune comment. I think it's silly how people can say that and then ignore the fact that she can sing live and sound nearly identical to the recording. People think that if a song sounds too good to be true, the only reason for it to sound that way is autotune. I think those people should take a listen to Gaga, and then Britney Spears, who's perhaps the queen of autotuned songs. I can even be so bold as to go to say that some people who think Lady Gaga is overproduced clearly didn't listen to her debut album in full. They'd realize that each of her songs actually do have meaning. They just need to listen closely and be a little more metaphorical with finding them. So many people think Telephone is about someone calling someone in a club, so many people think Poker Face is about playing Poker, so many people think Paparazzi is really about the paparazzi. Give Brown Eyes a listen and then tell me her songs have no meaning. There's only one song I feel that doesn't have any meaning to it, and that's Just Dance. Oddly enough, that's the only song I don't like that she's released.

Most people who find something overrated hasn't actually tried it. So many people think Justin Bieber is overrated, and while I'm one of them - mainly due to him always being a trending topic on Twitter - I gave his album a listen. I liked one or two songs, but the rest I found were all about the same thing.

That being said, pop music always seems to be considered overrated - and with good reason. But if you're logical about it, you'd realize that pop music seems to dominate the world when it comes to listening to the radio, or searching for music in online stores. When I go to any music store around here that sells albums, I've found that there are 3x the rows of pop than there are any other kind of music genre. It goes with the territory of being in pop music to be considered overrated.

People like different types of music - I myself am someone who listens to just about anything other than rap, which I find to be nonsense apart from perhaps three artists - and I respect that. But people who find a certain genre to be repulsive really shouldn't point fingers at untalented artists without at least finding the meaning behind that artist. Truth is, just about every single song has meaning - be it on the surface or something underneath. When it comes to Lady Gaga, her song meanings are underneath. Only a handfew of people seem to appreciate songs that don't have the message spelt out for them or take the time to find the message.

Now, Britney Spears is something that's overrated because I feel the way people have been talking about Lady Gaga towards Britney. All of her songs are autotuned - she can't sing like she used to be able to, I think that much is obvious to anyone who's taken the time to listen to the songs from her past. I think Britney's a wonderful entertaining, and can dance her ass off, but when it comes to raw vocal talent, she doesn't have it and she has nothing else to make me think otherwise when it comes to her voice these days. I think Britney's musical talent has gone so far away from what it used to be, she should just take a long earned break from the industry and get the voice she once had back. She did have talent when it comes to music, but now I don't think she does. She relies too much these days on autotuned music. I know people will reply with "It was a demo," but did you take a listen to her version of Telephone? I realize it was a demo, but demos don't have that much autotune in it. Most demos I've listened to don't even use autotune.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Most rap singers. All of their music sounds the same and deals with the same subject matter of, as Zero Punctuation put it, ho's being shot. Or money. Or guns. It's all so stupid. The only rap song I like is Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise.

Justin Beiber. I do not understand the popularity at all. And I support artists like Mika and James Blunt, so it's not the high-pitched voice that bothers me. I just think he's average.

And I also like Nickelback. (:

Back