• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated games.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Eh, imo the most over rated games of all time are

Ocarina Of Time Seriously, some Ninty fans must have their nostalgia goggles on so hard to still rate this as best game ever. It's clunky, unpresentable, the story is the age old Nintendo "save the princess" skit and the characters were pretty undeveloped, the only thing that has aged well is the music.

Final Fantasy 7 The same as OoT but for Sony fans. FF7 looks ugly, is clunky, the cast are pretty annoying (except Cid, Nanaki and Barret, they're pretty cool) The story wasn't bad but it wasn't great in comparison to the story in FF6 and FF5. The Music again, is the most well aged feature in this game.

Halo 3 Don't get me wrong, I liked Halo and Halo 2 wasn't awful, in fact it was barely different, but whatever, they were both last gen games. But Halo3 is this gen, and it's still a generic sci fi shooter with a low end story and a ragey angsty multiplayer community.

Nothing seperates this from the likes of Timesplitters, Killzone or CoD..or any other shooter for that matter...Nothing
    TimeSplitters, CoD and Killzone all have hugely different stories to Halo, Killzone offers a unique online experience as does Call of Duty, and TimeSplitters is almost a genre of it's own. It's not that I don't agree with the fact that Halo offers nothing new as a shooter, but grouping the whole genre together is a bit unfair.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Every game ever made ever is terrible, and you should be ashamed for liking what you like.

No, but honestly, I'm not a fan of trashing other peoples' favorites, and I'll defend mine when other people do (even if it isn't personal, it's still an insult to my tastes).

Fallout 3
    Oblivion with guns. A good mix between FPS and RPG, my two favorite genres; what's not to love?

LoZ: Ocarina of Time
    You wouldn't understand. It was, in its time, groundbreaking; it was probably the most engrossing game of its time. It has a place in my heart and will always be one of my favorites.

Final Fantasy 7
    Same as above.

The Halo Series
    Halo got me into FPS games. I was 11 when the first one came out, and it was something I hadn't seen before. As the first FPS I've ever played, it'll always be a favorite. The second and third entries hold no such honor, though.

Bioshock had an insanely interesting storyline, and the gameplay was fun. I don't understand why anybody didn't like it.

Prototype
    While the gameplay may have been nothing great (and the story was meh), the sheer amount of badass stuff you could do made up for it all. You got energy by punching people through the stomach and absorbing them. You had moves that could literally decimate an entire city block full of army guys and tanks and stuff. Plus, you could grab a person, run up a building, throw them off, and see how far you could follow them by gliding until you lost sight of them. Great stuff.

This one's another classic. It popularized the sandbox genre, and it was fun to boot.

Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green: Well I think it's not th *shot*
    I'd rather play the originals, but these two weren't all that bad. I still enjoyed the experience.

Final Fantasy 7: I've known a lot of people who think FF7 was the greatest game ever but haven't passed the Gold Saucer in Disc 1, so that's like before the halfway point of the first disc and don't know how much of a let down it was.
    ...what? You're kidding, right? And I like the entire game, thank you very much.

Ocarina Of Time Seriously, some Ninty fans must have their nostalgia goggles on so hard to still rate this as best game ever. It's clunky, unpresentable, the story is the age old Nintendo "save the princess" skit and the characters were pretty undeveloped, the only thing that has aged well is the music.
    The story was better than you thought. You clearly weren't paying much attention; there was more going on than just "save the princess." And of course we have "nostalgia goggles" on; it was a breakthrough in its day. It has a lot of meaning to some of us, not to mention it has more heart than a lot of games these days.

Final Fantasy 7 The same as OoT but for Sony fans. FF7 looks ugly, is clunky, the cast are pretty annoying (except Cid, Nanaki and Barret, they're pretty cool) The story wasn't bad but it wasn't great in comparison to the story in FF6 and FF5. The Music again, is the most well aged feature in this game.
    Same as above.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    TimeSplitters, CoD and Killzone all have hugely different stories to Halo, Killzone offers a unique online experience as does Call of Duty, and TimeSplitters is almost a genre of it's own. It's not that I don't agree with the fact that Halo offers nothing new as a shooter, but grouping the whole genre together is a bit unfair.

I only mentioned Timesplitters because I've fallen in love with it again. I only mentioned them because they, IMO, Are the best FPSs out there at the moment.

You wouldn't understand. It was, in its time, groundbreaking; it was probably the most engrossing game of its time. It has a place in my heart and will always be one of my favorites.

Just because I'm 14 doesn't mean I don't understand the "groundbreaking" effect that these new 3d games had on offer. I still think it's great, I still remember my brothers gauping at the TV screen everytime they popped that game in the N64...I just don't think that it can still be called the greatest LoZ or even the greatest game of all time, It hasn't aged well really..I just think that it's successors have overtaken it as the best LoZ on offer.

Years
    While the gameplay may have been nothing great (and the story was meh), the sheer amount of badass stuff you could do made up for it all. You got energy by punching people through the stomach and absorbing them. You had moves that could literally decimate an entire city block full of army guys and tanks and stuff. Plus, you could grab a person, run up a building, throw them off, and see how far you could follow them by gliding until you lost sight of them. Great stuff.

This one's another classic. It popularized the sandbox genre, and it was fun to boot.

You know which games they are....I never said that they were not awesome. Hell, I think that they're 2 of the best games ever. But Vice City felt lacking, and I include that as far as to go say, "I'ma go get liberty city stories", which fails because it's just like GTA3.

As for Prototype.....well, I might as well take that off the list, cuz I was playing it this morning. Hammer Fist, anyone?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Assassin's Creed.
    Like, really. Like, 20 minute long "cutscenes" and EVERYTHING was repetitive about the game.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

While I think that Majora's Mask is the superior title (or would be if it were longer, that's the only downfall. Otherwise it's perfection), how is Ocarina of Time "save the princess". You don't have to save the princess until the end of the game once she's captured. O_o

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 18, 2009
    CoD2-4 soon I bet CoD MW 2 is being all over the net 2 -.-

Fifa- ****-2010 xD Never liked fifa, never liked soccer : o yeah this is me Geeking is awesome xP

Cod is a decent game, My opinion you get tired killing ppl after an hour or two xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Kingdom Hearts

FFFF. Thank you. ;_; I also personally think that Kingdom Hearts is overrated. I tried getting into the game, and I'm a roleplay Game fan, but... I dunnow, I really couldn't get into it. :/ I don't really see just how awesome it is.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    FFFF. Thank you. ;_; I also personally think that Kingdom Hearts is overrated. I tried getting into the game, and I'm a roleplay Game fan, but... I dunnow, I really couldn't get into it. :/ I don't really see just how awesome it is.
    The lol-factor of Disney characters interacting with FF characters is what fueled me for KH1.
    Have yet to play KH2 though.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    While I think that Majora's Mask is the superior title (or would be if it were longer, that's the only downfall. Otherwise it's perfection), how is Ocarina of Time "save the princess". You don't have to save the princess until the end of the game once she's captured. O_o

Before I reply to your actual post, just wanna throw in the fact I enjoyed MM too :]

At the end of the day, even when he's young at the castle, Link's main goal was to save Zelda. At the end of the game, Link saves Zelda and they fight Ganondorf and they win, she's freed and he;s stuck away. Until the far superior wind waker takes place. (although WW follows a similar save the princess route, Link is more interested with saving his sister, which I thought was a lot fresher.)

Years
    That's what I think of Okami and The World Ends with You
    Yes. TWEWY was way overrated. I mean, it was a good game, but it was far from perfect. I didn't even do the side-quests at the end... I don't care how brilliant and intuitive you say it was. The controls were repetitive and often conflicted. The partner was hard to use without Neku sitting there taking hits. If you had poor luck with your partner's AI, you paid for it in shared HP. The storyline was the only part I really enjoyed. And in that case, (pardon the pun) I might as well play Phoenix Wright again or read a book. It was average - not the epic masterpiece everyone says it is.

GTA: Chinatown Wars - It felt like a port of the old PS1 games. Not that they were bad in their time, but the whole game felt clunky and... yuck.

Now, I probably didn't give this enough of a try to get very far, but I found Mother 3 a bit of a let down for the portion I played. The system seemed a tad unintuitive. As I said this was probably because I didn't give it a good enough go. So don't get offended here.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Fifa- ****-2010 xD Never liked fifa, never liked soccer : o yeah this is me Geeking is awesome xP

In all fairness..You can't really call this game "overrated" because you don't like football or "soccer". So basically you're really saying that football is overrated as a sport.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    In all fairness..You can't really call this game "overrated" because you don't like football or "soccer". So basically you're really saying that football is overrated as a sport.

Calling anything "overrated" is just plain silly, in my opinion. Not liking a popular game is fine, but you shouldn't say that it's "overrated" just because you personally don't like it. What exactly makes your opinion more valid that the opinions of the people who rated it highly?

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Calling anything "overrated" is just plain silly, in my opinion. Not liking a popular game is fine, but you shouldn't say that it's "overrated" just because you personally don't like it. What exactly makes your opinion more valid that the opinions of the people who rated it highly?

One person's opinion on something doesn't make it the right opinion.

And I said: Overrated in your own opinion, therefore people do have the right to say that they think that the game is overrated...It's not like we're saying that everyone who likes the games is wrong and should go die in a hole, we're merely stating that we peronally don't see the appeal that other people see in the game.

And I stated that about the Fifa thing because I don't think that you can say that you don't like Football games if you don't even like the sport yourself. It's like saying that you hate final fantasy, but you're not a fan of RPG's, It's the genre that doesn't appeal to you, not the game itself.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Just because I'm 14 doesn't mean I don't understand the "groundbreaking" effect that these new 3d games had on offer. I still think it's great, I still remember my brothers gauping at the TV screen everytime they popped that game in the N64...I just don't think that it can still be called the greatest LoZ or even the greatest game of all time, It hasn't aged well really..I just think that it's successors have overtaken it as the best LoZ on offer.
    I didn't say you couldn't understand the feeling. I said you couldn't understand it for that particular game because you weren't old enough at the time.

And while some of the older Zeldas may have been better, I don't think any Zeldas since have been. It's been a downhill trend, in my opinion; each one slightly less entertaining than the last.
    One person's opinion on something doesn't make it the right opinion.

And I said: Overrated in your own opinion, therefore people do have the right to say that they think that the game is overrated...It's not like we're saying that everyone who likes the games is wrong and should go die in a hole, we're merely stating that we peronally don't see the appeal that other people see in the game.
    Overrated more or less means that the general consensus opinion is wrong, and that the game is not as good as most people think it is. It inherently implies that everyone else is wrong and that you are right.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    I'd say Okami and Wind Waker. (Wind Waker because the creators treat Toon Link like God.)

Back