• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated, underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I've seen a lot of Fennekin evolutionary line hate. The Froakie line on the other hand, is a truly overrated Pokémon as well as among the Kalos starters.

Most of the Fennekin hate I see is mainly stemmed from people who were either: disappointed with Delphox's design or the fact Fennekin didn't remain quadruped after evolving. Froakie was initially the most hated Kalos starter but then when Greninja was revealed (and also after it was discovered how amazing its HA is) that's when the frog's love went through the roof.

These days, I feel like Chespin is even more hated/underrated than Fennekin. Blame Quilladin's design for the unpopularity here.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Most of the Fennekin hate I see is mainly stemmed from people who were either: disappointed with Delphox's design or the fact Fennekin didn't remain quadruped after evolving. Froakie was initially the most hated Kalos starter but then when Greninja was revealed (and also after it was discovered how amazing its HA is) that's when the frog's love went through the roof.

These days, I feel like Chespin is even more hated/underrated than Fennekin. Blame Quilladin's design for the unpopularity here.
What? People were disappointed with Fennekin not remaining quadruped? Then they should be disappointed with Tepig, Mudkip, and maybe Cyndaquil too. I love the fact that Fennekin's evolutions can stand on two legs.

As for Chespin and Quilladin, I've always had more problems with Chespin. I couldn't stand its open mouth, and the fact that it was more loved than Froakie. Quilladin, on the other hand, is okay in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
What? People were disappointed with Fennekin not remaining quadruped? Then they should be disappointed with Tepig, Mudkip, and maybe Cyndaquil too. I love the fact that Fennekin's evolutions can stand on two legs.

As for Chespin and Quilladin, I've always had more problems with Chespin. I couldn't stand its open mouth, and the fact that it was more loved than Froakie. Quilladin, on the other hand, is okay in my opinion.

Cyndaquil's evolutions use all 4 legs when running, so I would consider it a quadruped.
I agree with the open mouth, It's the reason I dislike Gyarados too.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Is it "underrated" to say I don't like listing "overrated", "underrated" concepts and Pokemon? Like, "THIS POKEMON deserves hate but THIS POKEMON does not deserve hate" comes off as overly aggressive, edgy and paranoid. They are just Pokemon, after all. Getting overly defensive about which ones should or should not receive "praise" or whatever also has a bit of a conceited vibe to it as well.

Seriously here, the anger in this thread is giving me wrinkles. "That mess of a video game!" " He's a freakin' player avatar with NO personality or dialog, whatsoever!" You guys want some green tea? Maybe punch a pillow or something, direct your rage onto an inanimate object?

but seriously Charizard is great, it goes from salamander to dragon like BOOM, don't tell me that isn't awesome

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Now that 'you have seen this mon get hate/love but I haven't' is a thing going on, I might as well conclude it. Some people see certain things. Some people don't and plus it's just opinions, so don't get too worked up, k?

I also agree with Fennekin, I know it wasn't the most picked starter, but I never got into him. If you saw him get more hate than like, than thats fine. Not trying to insult you.

but seriously Charizard is great, it goes from salamander to dragon like BOOM, don't tell me that isn't awesome

Literally one person complained about Charizard in this thread. ONE PERSON.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
underrated:

lucario (ONLY COMPETITIVELY) - luke's actually a fun pokemon to use. swords dance, close combat, extremespeed and bullet punch means it's a nice late-game cleaner. +2 close combat hits very hard, and extremespeed + bullet punch are usually strong enough to clean up offense. lucario's steel/fighting-typing also means it can survive a hit or two, despite its poor bulk.

rhyperior - this was obviously coming. people shit on it due to its design and typing, forgetting that dragonite for example also looks really different from its line. on the competitive part, rhyperior is by no means amazing, but can function as a hard-hitting tank which checks birds and charizard x, and the SD set is a monster in trick room.

politoed - rain is still cool despite the fact that drizzle is no longer permanent. it usually supports its team with damp rock drizzle and a defensive set, or it can go to town by throwing choice specs hydro pumps. on the non-competitive field, many people forget this thing even exists lol

salamence - a surprisingly versatile pokemon that can go mixed, DD, scarf or defensive, which is supported by its good attacking stats and movepool, as well as intimidate to allow it to set up easier, or moxie for the scarf set. its downside is that it's pretty hard to use and steels, fairies and weavile can be jerks to it (although it has ways to get past them, bar weav). as for the mega, people don't like it due to its design. yeah it's kinda ugly lol, but i care more about its battle prowess, and anyone who has played ubers knows this thing is just ridiculous

overrated:

pikachu - obvious reasons.

charizard - obvious reasons. zard X and Y are great on the competitive side, but aren't mega-rayquaza level.

lucario - severely overrated unless we're talking about the competitive side. i swear every lucario which appears in fanfics has aura and is ridiculously powerful. it also took the spot in brawl, which mewtwo should have kept.

eevee and its evolutions - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=355771

manaphy and hoopa-U (competitively) - never understood what makes them so great. they obviously have the power to break through balanced and stall in theory, but usually stall can adapt with unaware quagsire, gothitelle, chansey (manaphy and NP hoopa-U) or skarm (physical hoopa-U) while balanced has room for a pokemon who can revenge kill them. the fact that offense is the most commonly used playstyle is not fun either.

PageEmp

Years
But you're mad, aren't ya kid? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No, I'm being mature and truthful. Wow, I don't think you are ready for the real world if you keep acting like this, I bet you'd probably be TEN times as crazy than me if I were mad, seriously. You might as well jump off that insanity plane, because it's going to crash.

Pokemon game and plot really shouldn't be mentioned together, honestly I can't tell you the plot of any pokemon game even though I've beaten all of them (at least, 1 of each pair).
Also as a general rule of pokemon, the final form of the water starter looks terrible in design compared to their leaf and fire counterparts, which is one of the reasons it see's less people choosing it.
I feel that Pikachu is quite overrated just because it's the mascot and I think that the most underrated legendary would be Shaymin... It just feel so forgettable.
I know I replied to your comment alredy, but I think your first point was really confusing. Are you saying we shouldn't have an overated/underrated game? Or just saying that we shouldn't combine the plot in the game? And just because you do it doesn't mean the whole world has to.

And about the second part, I was not at all saying more people should pick water. I was only saying I'm tired of seeing others use the Cyndaquil line and to the point I don't see many Totodile fans now. Yeah, I know its all related but seriously, I absolutely disagree with everything you said.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
No, I'm being mature and truthful. Wow, I don't think you are ready for the real world if you keep acting like this, I bet you'd probably be TEN times as crazy than me if I were mad, seriously. You might as well jump off that insanity plane, because it's going to crash.

Didn't know 9/11 jokes counted as "maturity" nowadays. I hope you're proud of yourself, kiddo.

PageEmp

Years
So you just won't shut the fuck up for once. Nice. All I was trying to do was STATE A POINT just for reference and now you are overreacting. I can BET your name is Disclosed because you are really 'dis close to gaining a new enemy. I actually have nothing, literally NOTHING against Charizard, I was just telling you only one person as of that post brought him up. I don't know you well but you are already one of my least favourite users here. I'm sorry, I hate making enemies online but I'm afraid this seems to be an exception.

I'm sorry you all had to read this.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
I know I replied to your comment alredy, but I think your first point was really confusing.
I know, I wasn't very clear. I'll try to explain what I meant a bit better now :)

Are you saying we shouldn't have an overated/underrated game? Or just saying that we shouldn't combine the plot in the game?
Spoiler:

Your original post said that the Plot of Pokemon Black 2 was not as good as previous games.
My reply was intended to say Pokemon games don't really do well with plot in general, they don't have much of it. The games tend to go towards a simple goal of "be a champion and foil the bad guys plan" rather than having a rich plot filled story.

And just because you do it doesn't mean the whole world has to.
Of course not, although it might not of looked like it, I would never tell someone how to feel about a game, it's all just my opinion :p

And about the second part, I was not at all saying more people should pick water. I was only saying I'm tired of seeing others use the Cyndaquil line and to the point I don't see many Totodile fans now. Yeah, I know its all related but seriously, I absolutely disagree with everything you said.
I wasn't saying more people should pick water either... I was trying to give an explanation as to why so few people do pick water.

Years
Alright, I think this thread is heading in the wrong direction, so I'm going to close this up. Sorry to everyone who was staying on topic, but for Meem or anyone else who feels like continuing the original discussion, feel free to make a new thread for it.

CLOSED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back