• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overworld Battling, and a lack of strategy

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Why don't we have it?

In the show, along with the manga, the environment served a great purpose. In the games there is no environment, we have a seperate battle screen. WHY? Why can't we fight in the overworld? We even have overworld sprites coming to us, there is NO REASON we shouldn't be able to fight in the overworld, with all the NPC's watching.

the other issue is the lack of strategy. EVEN IN BRAWL two or three pokemon could combine attacks. Hydro Pump + Thundershock = super powerful. In an issue of Pokemon Yellow, Lance had three pokemon use bubble, in different colors (red, blue and green). These colors combined made white light, so the bubbles were invisible. The effect was a bubble attack that couldn't be evaded or seen.

And remember, in the anime, a pokemon would use wrap and pikachu would use thundershock, creating an attack doing extra damage.

THAT'S what Nintendo needs to focus on. New battle strategies, not new pokemon!

Ayselipera

There would be so many combinations you could do though that it would be really confusing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    There would be so many combinations you could do though that it would be really confusing.

They could make it simpler then I've said, though. They've done stuff like Sunny Day = no charge for solar beam and Rain Dance = Electric attacks more powerfull. All they have to do is say, like, if enemy uses wrap then electric attacks power is doubled.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • The idea of overworld battling--AWESOME. Why indeed haven't they brought that in? I guess they just want some things to be saved for the upcoming generations...

However, there needs to be some kind of control on the strategy thing. Think about how many moves there are!

Years
  • I agree; overworld battling would be awesome. Personally, I'd like to have Pokemon move around on a grid or hex field and have both short-range and long-range attacks, although attack combos would be cool too. You don't want to add *too* many features to battles, though, because you can end up with information overload and too many choices.

I've been playing around with a Pokemon battle system that uses a hex field and environmental obstacles, where attacks have ranges. Someday I'll make a complete game to put it in, but that's a long way away.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • more strategy=very much YES

I'm tired of Pokemon games being associated with little kids...we need a Pokemon game with such a complex battle system that only mature gamers can understand it...

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Yes.

Addressing how complicated the strategy system is: not really. We already have "Physical Attacks" and "Special Attacks" plus weather conditions. How hard is it to say "Special Attacks = 2x damage when Constricted?" We just need new status conditions (Constricted, Wet, ETC) and we're good to go.

I agree; overworld battling would be awesome. Personally, I'd like to have Pokemon move around on a grid or hex field and have both short-range and long-range attacks, although attack combos would be cool too. You don't want to add *too* many features to battles, though, because you can end up with information overload and too many choices.

I've been playing around with a Pokemon battle system that uses a hex field and environmental obstacles, where attacks have ranges. Someday I'll make a complete game to put it in, but that's a long way away.

I've considered it for my Pokemon Flash game, but realized that it's probably the same idea implemented in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. In fact it is, with the exception of environment features. Eventually you'd get to, like, super Chess.

But what we do need is this: Say Pikachu uses volt tackle. He should be considerably close to the enemy's Raichu, at which point Physical attacks should do extra damage.

Years
  • I've considered it for my Pokemon Flash game, but realized that it's probably the same idea implemented in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. In fact it is, with the exception of environment features. Eventually you'd get to, like, super Chess.

But what we do need is this: Say Pikachu uses volt tackle. He should be considerably close to the enemy's Raichu, at which point Physical attacks should do extra damage.

Hmm, I haven't played Mystery Dungeon; I'll have to check it out sometime. If you get a game with that combo system ready for play, I'll definitely have to try it out too. My favorite turn-based battle systems tend to prioritize space and movement strategy over attack combos, but that's purely a personal preference. : )

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Hmm, I haven't played Mystery Dungeon; I'll have to check it out sometime. If you get a game with that combo system ready for play, I'll definitely have to try it out too. My favorite turn-based battle systems tend to prioritize space and movement strategy over attack combos, but that's purely a personal preference. : )

Yeah. The hex idea seems good, but trying to mix it with turn based movement..... *grunt*. It just turns it into, like, Final Fantasy Tactics: Pokemon version.

There is a move linking portion somewhere in that game, but if I remember right it's trash. It lets you use two moves in one turn, but I'm pretty sure there's no actual strategy to it, although I may be wrong. Remember that there was a Red version to the game for the GBA, so if you wanna VBA that....

Years
  • Yeah. The hex idea seems good, but trying to mix it with turn based movement..... *grunt*. It just turns it into, like, Final Fantasy Tactics: Pokemon version.

I like the FF Tactics system a lot, so there you go. : ) I think a Pokemon system similar to Tactics would be mucho fun. Everybody likes something different.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Bacuase Overworld sprites generally suck. Love'd to see it the way battling already exist though. But alas, way to much programming.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    I like the FF Tactics system a lot, so there you go. : ) I think a Pokemon system similar to Tactics would be mucho fun. Everybody likes something different.

That's pretty much what Mystery Dungeon is. It does it in a more fast-paced way, and your goal is to find the exit, but it's turn based with range and close attacks. So... try it out :)

Bacuase Overworld sprites generally suck. Love'd to see it the way battling already exist though. But alas, way to much programming.

Everyone thinks that, but it wouldn't be that hard, really. In fact, I'm putting that kinda stuff in my new flash game, Mμ3, and I'm not a pro or anything. So if I can do it.... so can they. They just need to introduce secondary status conditions, such as "Wet," "Constricted," and so forth. (You can check that out here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186949
    I speak of it briefly, next to the MORE STATEGY written in bold.)

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • A game like the Advance Wars games would be pretty cool. Depending on which CO (trainer in this case) you get different pokemon, so instead of everyone using the same pokemon, your trainer gets specific ones. It's just an idea, though...

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    A game like the Advance Wars games would be pretty cool. Depending on which CO (trainer in this case) you get different pokemon, so instead of everyone using the same pokemon, your trainer gets specific ones. It's just an idea, though...

But part of the fun of pokemon is that anyone can obtain any pokemon... or, in the case of legendaries from the newer games, the same pokemon with a different type.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • But part of the fun of pokemon is that anyone can obtain any pokemon... or, in the case of legendaries from the newer games, the same pokemon with a different type.

Oh, I don't think you get what I'm saying. In Advance Wars there are just different troops and stuff and the different teams are colored. Plus there are only like 40 different types of troops. What I mean, is that for each different CO/Trainer there is a different set of pokemon and you use the trainer and set that you would like to.

Back