• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Owning Both?

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I am purchasing X this morning, I already have Y. How many of you own both versions and is it worth it? If so, why? Would you recommend others owning both games?

Sylvitar

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I do have both versions and for me, its worth it.
    On one game i can keep all my Pokemon and trade/battle, on the other game i can do challenges or replay the story (:

UB3R_N00B

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I am definitely using my X to keep my pokemon and Y to farm pokes :) thanks!

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I own both versions, although that's mainly because my mother wanted to play one. Although I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys playing their games more than once, or wants to easily obtain everything - trading online isn't always convenient, and having a second game to store your favourites if you want to start again is always nice.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I bought the Y version with the intention of playing through it like any other game in the main series franchise. However, I got so hooked into it that I kind of wanted to get technical, so to speak.. I didn't want to restart because I've grown attached to the Pokemon that I was using...so I decided to save up some money and buy X.

If you ever come across the same dilemma, then getting both versions is definitely worth it!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I have both. It wasn't my first intention but when the opportunity arrived that I could get the second one I jumped at it. Now one of them is my main game and the other one is the game I can do challenges on. I think this is the first gen that I can actually do that with without having to use emulators so it's pretty exciting to me aha.

Years
  • Like the others said, having both versions can come in handy and I happen to have both myself as well. X is my main and contains all my prized Pokemon so yeah if I ever want to replay I'll be using my Y version for that.

If you're a trader who wants to store their faves somewhere it wouldn't hurt having both games.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I have a physical X and a physical Y and a digital Y haha. I like having all three as I can have multiple saves and different languages. I have two English games and a German game now n_n I'll probably use the digital Y for challenges tbqh.

UB3R_N00B

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I also have pokebank so could I put X on it to, put all my pokemon from Y on my pokebank and get them on my x version? I have yet to start my X but would like to find this out first!

finalrayne

High Roller
    Years
  • Bought X then bought Animal Crossing to get the Y download for free I would recommend it I'm farming trading in X and gonna do a Y play through with just shiny pokemon.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I bought Y awhile ago, then my cousin gave me his X because he bought two of them by accident. I try to do nuzlockes and stuff on X because that isn't where my main game is, and that's where I do other stuff too.

UB3R_N00B

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Can I put my pokemon from Y into the bank and get on my X and get my x game into pokebank as well and withdraw them onto my X version? So transfer from my Y to my X through pokebank?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Can I put my pokemon from Y into the bank and get on my X and get my x game into pokebank as well and withdraw them onto my X version? So transfer from my Y to my X through pokebank?

Yep, that works. I have a digital version of X and a physical version of Y which makes it particularly easy to do this, since I don't even have to swap cartridges.

Years
  • I don't see much reason in doing this nowadays. Before the GTS and the like, I'd buy multiple copies of games so I could get version exclusives; buying an almost identical game seems pointless now.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • I bought X on release date back in October, and just 5 days ago I bought myself a copy of Y too. I gotta say, really enjoy to have both versions because I can't get myself to start over with my Pokemon X game (still have lots to do there, I have the Shiny Charm, I breed and hunt for Shinies and I train new teams ;)) and I have over 550+ hours :)

So, now I own Pokemon Y, which I am currently playing, I can use this game to start new Save games or store my precious Pokemon in from my Pokemon X cartridge :) So now I still have a game to play from the start of the adventure till the end without having to restart my Pokemon X game.

I'm also a collector of games and Pokemon stuff, so it was only natural for me to buy Pokemon Y too eventually ;)

Years
  • I have two copies of both games, all four being physical. I got my main copy of X, along with my first Y, at Best Buy the day after release, then got another copy of X at Wal-Mart four weeks later. I picked that one up for fun challenges and such because I like X's exclusives (and Xerneas) more than Y's, so I wanted to be able to enjoy it for that. And the second copy of Y I got at Best Buy for $10 off by signing up with a Reward Zone card, which I felt made up for me not getting the free digital copy promotion.

First X: Main game I have most of my stuff on, completed Pokédex and have three Super Trophies in the Battle Maison.
    Secondary X: Started a Dark Monotype this morning.
    First Y: Just completed my Red Mono-Color the other day.
    Secondary Y: Haven't done anything with it yet but I think i'll use it for the Favorites Challenge.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • It's always cool to own both versions., one being your main game, and the other one for exclusives, creative runs, and other stuff. I don't have both versions, but I may get X sometime in the future. Last generation, I bought Black 3 months after finishing White just because the story was so good. xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2020
    I won both and would say its definitely worth it!! i have all the old pokemon on Y and then am playing through X currently!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    An alternative to buying both copies would be purchasing PowerSaves. With this, you could start as many save files as you please while still kreping your old one backed up. It's what I did. :3 Aanyway, currently, I have only one version—Pokémon Y. Did plan on getting myself X before, but wound up changing my mind.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Am I the only one who can't get both games just because I have a sibling? I mean, I suppose I can, but there's really no point since he always gets the other game and I can use it for whatever I need.

Back