• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Paper Mario: The Origami King launches on the Nintendo Switch July 17, 2020!

Years

• Out of nowhere, and without a direct(?!), Nintendo dropped a trailer for the latest entry in the Paper Mario franchise. It looks good - I definitely think I'll wind up picking it up eventually.

What do y'all think?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I don't know... I'm still getting the Sticker Star/Color Splash from the little gameplay they showed us. I mean, I had fun with Color Splash, but the battle system was kinda bad with very little sense of progression. Though you can always count on Paper Mario games to bring the visuals and humor. Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Need more information. I want them to make Paper Mario games like how they did the first two, and it's hard to tell if it's going to be like those or Sticker Star and Color Splash or something else entirely from this 2 minute trailer.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Also am cautiously optmisitic, and want more info. No evidence of FP or partners, sadly. But Bowser isn't the main villain and even travels with you at some point! Arms look hella weird! And new battle system at times...? Hum.

Lots to find out. If it's another Colour Splash that's not bad imo, but it won't be the same tier as TTYD games, or even SPM. We shall have to wait and see.

Years
  • It's hard to say. It doesn't look quite as unique or quirky as Paper Mario or Paper Mario: TTYD. But on the other hand, it doesn't look as generic as Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The origami gimmick unnerves me, as well: I'd rather just have the battle system and mechanics from the first two games reintroduced, with new locations, characters, and dialogue. That would be lovely.

pkmin3033

Paper Mario hasn't really been particularly good since TTYD, so I'm...not hopeful, truthfully. I like the concept, and I have no doubt that it'll be charming in the way of previous Paper Mario games, but whether it'll actually be playable is another matter entirely. Honestly the most excitement I got out of this was the blatant Metroid reference at the end...excitement which was then immediately blunted when I remembered that Other M existed and they could be hinting at a remaster of that or, god forbid, another game similar to that.

But just...keep it simple, please. It ain't broke, so don't fix it. I'd prefer they not go out of their way to create new gimmicks that don't work...we get enough of that kind of rubbish with Pokemon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Paper Mario hasn't really been particularly good since TTYD, so I'm...not hopeful, truthfully. I like the concept, and I have no doubt that it'll be charming in the way of previous Paper Mario games, but whether it'll actually be playable is another matter entirely. Honestly the most excitement I got out of this was the blatant Metroid reference at the end...excitement which was then immediately blunted when I remembered that Other M existed and they could be hinting at a remaster of that or, god forbid, another game similar to that.

But just...keep it simple, please. It ain't broke, so don't fix it. I'd prefer they not go out of their way to create new gimmicks that don't work...we get enough of that kind of rubbish with Pokemon.
    I do prefer the gameplay of TTYD to SPM, certainly, but one thing I will grant is that SPM had, for me, the strongest story of the PM series. It took it a step above TTYD, even accounting for the lack of partners and their side stories. Meanwhile the charm and comedy of the series, as well as much of the music, was for me on the same level too.

But I guess there's different levels. I enjoyed Colour Splash for instance, but it is a step or few below the 2nd and 3rd games. Early days but I'm not yet expecting something like those yet.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I don't really like the design of Princess Peach, but I think the game looks really good. Super Paper Mario was honestly one of my favorite games I've ever played, and I would definitely pick up this new game if I had a Nintendo Switch.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    they put out a new trailer yesterday:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ^ I am the above. I recently beat TOK (100% too!). I very much recommend the game - not the best PM in the series imo, but a very enjoyable game nonetheless and an improvement on CS. I can understand the puzzle battle system being meh, but if you don't hate that you're in for a good time (and I rather liked the boss battles).

Weaker parts of the game I attribute to the chapter (or well, 'streamer' either not having one besides Olivia, or having a rather boring/uninvolved one. The stronger parts of the game embraced the partners and really involved them, and were so much stronger for it. Plot was fine - maybe too much at the very end which could have been paced/foreshadowed better. Dialogue and jokes were constantly on point, the lore could have been expanded, visuals were pretty nice and good set-ups for various areas (CS was pretty good in this regard too tbh).

Also holy crap is the soundtrack good. My hot take is that this is the best soundtrack of the series. Give it a listen!

Years
    • Seen today
    Paper Mario 64 was my childhood game and my favorite video game of all time.

Even though the newer entries are getting better, I still crave the original formula.

Back