• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paradox Pokemon or Ultra Beasts

Paradox Pokemon or Ultra Beasts?

• Paradox Pokemon

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Ultra Beasts

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
  • Which group of Pokemon do you prefer?

I personally prefer ultra beasts. I really like there unique designs, Like Xurkitree my favorite, he's like a wire christmas tree, and his color scheme is perfect.
    And they really feel like they are from another dimension. Also I hope they add them in the DLC.

I'm Not really a fan of paradox Pokemon. I think they could of made future and past Pokemon without copying present ones.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Ultra Beasts by a mile! They were actually interesting and had great lore and storylines surrounding them. Paradox Pokémon is simply Game Freak getting lazy.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Even though aesthetically I prefer Paradox Pokémon overall, my vote goes to Ultra Beasts because they're much more unique and I believe also better integrated into the games' lore. While Paradoxes are essentially a weirder take on regional forms that bank on nostalgia for old Pokémon.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Paradox Pokemon. Ultimately prefers them on aesthetics. Sees some of them as interesting answers to "how would this Pokemon evolve without access to [X]". Received a stronger sense of that as a Scarlet player, between Scream Tail (no Moon Stone), Flutter Mane (no Dusk Stone), Sandy Shocks (no Electric Rock/Thunderstone), and Roaring Moon (no Mega Stone). Probably delivered a more boring first impression to Violet players with only Iron Valiant (no Mega Stone or Dawn Stone) and far more cookie-cutter names.

Did not like the Ultra Beasts, minus Poipole. Questions how half of them even survive with limited/no vision or mouths. Hates the ones that do have some kind of face too.

Years
  • Ultra Beasts:
    -Nihilego - I like it.
    -Buzzwole - I don't like it.
    -Pheromosa - I love it, it's amongst my favorite Pokemon.
    -Xurkitree - I like it.
    -Celesteela - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Kartana - I like it.
    -Guzzlord - I hate it.
    -Poipole - I like it.
    -Naganadel - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Stakataka - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Blacephalon - I hate it.

Liked: 5
    'meh'/idc either way: 3
    Disliked: 3
    11 Total

Liked only: 45.45%
    Liked + Neutral: 72.72%

Paradox Pokemon:
    -Great Tusk - I like it.
    -Scream Tail - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Brute Bonnet - I hate it.
    -Flutter Mane - I like it.
    -Slither Wing - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Sandy Shocks - I don't like it.
    -Roaring Moon - I don't like it.

-Walking Wake - Words can't express my utter disgust for this abomination.
    -Koraidon - Neutral. I don't care either way

-Iron Treads - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Iron Bundle - I like it.
    -Iron Hands - I like it now due to it's usefulness in Tera raids, but it was originally an 'idc either way as well'.
    -Iron Jugulis - I hate it.
    -Iron Moth - I like it.
    -Iron Thorns - Neutral. I don't care either way.
    -Iron Valiant - I like it.
    -Iron Leaves - I like it.
    -Miraidon - I like it

Liked: 8
    'meh'/idc either way: 5
    Disliked: 5
    18 Total

Liked only: 44.44%
    Liked + Neutral: 72.22%

Seems Ultra Beasts edge out the Paradoxes for me.

Years
  • Oh man, it's honestly a little hard to say. I love the idea of paradox mons and think the Scarlet versions are incredible looking for the most part (love Scream Tail!). UBs being space creatures is also really neat though and it has one of my favorites ever, Poipole. <3 So I think based on Poipole being a huge favorite I'd have to go with UBs.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I don't really care for the concept of either to be honest. There is only 1 UB I actually love, 1 PD I kinda like and 1 PD I really like. All the rest really don't matter to me at all.

For the UB side:
    Spoiler:

For the PD 'mons:
    Spoiler:

And:
    Spoiler:

All said and done, I think my vote ultimately goes to Paradox 'mons.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd choose the Paradox Pokemon anytime. The Ultra Beasts feel out of place in Pokemon, in my opinion. I think they belong in a different franchise, like Metroid or Megaman. The Paradox Pokemon, on the other hand, actually feel like real Pokemon, although from a distant past (Scarlet) or future (Violet).

Years
  • Ultra Beasts all the way. While I'm not that keen on their designs, I like how out-of-this-world they look and how that fits their lore. Scarlet's Paradox Pokémon are fun versions of existing Pokémon, but Violet's are really disappointing. I think there is bigger potential for Pokémon from future. Making them all robots was a really bad decision, in my opinion.

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • I like both, but I do think the Ultra Beasts were better, more because I loved the lore and story behind them, and seeing their worlds. The Paradox pokemon are also cool. The Past paradoxes are cool, though I don't know how Walking Wake fits into Suicune's lore. Though technically we have already had past Pokemon, from the fossil Pokemon to the Hisuian forms, so technically it's more just expanding on previous concepts. As for Future paradoxes, can we have something that's not a robot? I agree with Janp that they could have had more variety with it.

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • I liked the Ultra Beasts due to them definitely looking like they came from some other world. They don't look like they belonged there, which was totally the point. Some of them did look kind of ugly to me, but only because they didn't look like the typical Pokemon. Maybe 'ugly' isn't even the right word?

I like the story behind the Paradox Pokemon, the whole deal with them having traveled from the past/future, being distant ancestors or descendants of present Pokemon. I really love the sci-fi, roboty looks of the future ones, but I feel like the past ones are a bit boring.

Just because I feel like more work was put into the design and story of the Ultra Beasts, I'm going with that one.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I prefer Paradox Pokemon if not only because the Ultra Beasts were hideous in my eyes. Just a display of some of the worst designs ever in Pokemon in history IMO. I'm not a fan of any of them. Paradox Pokemon are hit or miss, but they aren't hideous like Ultra Beasts. lol

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I prefer Paradox Pokémon on a conceptual level, but I think Ultra Beasts are better in terms of execution. I'm a fan of both, though.

Years
  • I actually like both, but neither are perfect.

Both are basically as broken as legendaries in competitive play, but don't quite fit in the bracket, so we wind up seeing teams of mostly Paradox 'mon/UBs with the allowed 1-2 legends, and originality largely goes to die.

I wish they didn't get quite so complex with Paradox 'mon; instead of "these are ancient/futurisic forms of certain Pokémon", it's something like "These are versions of certain Pokémon roughly interpreted from the imaginations of some rando explorers", so… like, are they real..? What the heck is happening. It's also disappointing that the Walking Wake/Iron Leaves fusions were misdirects, as the artwork in the books was decidedly cooler.

UBs were a fun thematic addition for the Alola games. Hard to justify their appearances in later games, but interesting designs nonetheless!

Back