• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parakeets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    My mom bought two parakeets today. Just like that. Without any warning.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that that is a very bad idea. For one, she knows almost nothing (scratch that, nothing at all) about them. She's just confident because she's raised loads of them before. The problem is, I'm pretty sure they weren't raised very well (although they had lots of children), since she said she always kept them in their cage. Incidentally, she also bought a turtle because my brother said he wanted one. He's currently stuck in a tiny, tiny little space with tap water and rocks and nothing else. :(

So I've done a little bit of research and I've found a few sites explaining how to take care of parakeets. But I definitely need an expert's advice. Do any of you keep parakeets? Or turtles, for that matter. I need help on that too.

My parakeets are currently in the dining room. We covered their cage with a piece of cloth for the night. There're seeds (which I hear are a bit risky...are pellets better? These are the seeds they ate at the pet store too) and water in their cages, two long perches, perches next to the food, and a swingy perch thing hanging from the top of the cage. I heard that these birds are sensitive to smells and that they shouldn't be kept near kitchens or bathrooms. The cage is currently in the room right next to the kitchen, no wall or separation. Is it okay? It's also in front of the window (though the window is higher, and sealed shut), and directly on a heating source (that we blocked).

The parakeets were bought from a pet store. They're so young that the people there couldn't tell their genders, apparently. I'm worried about their baths, their beaks, their wings, and their claws. I don't know when we should clip their wings, how to do it, or even if they're already clipped or not. How do we tell? Also, they like to make this weird sound with their beaks. Is it normal?

Do we need to take them to a vet? What fresh fruit do you recommend us to give them? And what about toys? This is the first time I've personally taken care of a pet, so I feel worried. What do you guys think?

(Also, I'd like some help on my turtle too. Ours looks just like this: https://www.google.ca/imgres?q=pet+...0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1024&bih=657 Been giving it shrimp/fish pellets and using tap water...should I use bottled water instead? How often should I change its water? I've been changing it around twice a week so far. Also, I don't know how aquatic it is. I'm thinking of buying a big, nice tank for it. Its space is really tiny right now, and I feel so sorry for it. D: )

Wow....talk about wall of text. Sorry, guys!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • It's cool that you've got your new birds, but I don't think many people in OC are qualified to help you look after them. If your mum got them in a pet store or something then ask there, or see if you can get in touch with something along those lines. A vet would be a good person to see too. For the purposes of OC, though, there's not much to be said here.

-closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back