• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parlez-Vous Français ? [The French Club]

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
It would actually be "Je suis allé(e) travailler." It can be said to really emphasize the actual going to work part, esp. because "Je travaillais" and "J'ai travaillé" translate as "I was working" and "I worked" respectively. Doesn't really mean the same thing in certain contexts.

Your telephone example is spot on, though.
But I said exactly what you said. That imparfait is continuous past. I don't get what you're trying to correct about me, because I never claimed imparfait and PC are the same and you just repeated what I said and then said I was wrong.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Yes, and I never said that you were wrong about that. I said your imparfait example was correct (the telephone one).

In that quote, I'm pointing out the difference between "Je suis allé(e) travailler," (which Team Fail spelled as "travaillé") "Je travaillais" and "J'ai travaillé." Then I explained about infinitifs following verb conjugations.

This: "Je travaillais quand le téléphone a sonné."

Was 100% correct. Perfect use of imparfait and passé composé.

The correction was from Team Fail's post which was carried over into your post and had nothing to do with imparfait. Team Fail had written "Je suis allé(e) travaillé" to which you stated:

Je suis allé travaillé sounds a lot more like "I was going to worked" which kinda sounds like a nonsense phrase to me.

Which is correct; it is nonsense, unless it is written as "Je suis allé(e) travailler" in which it makes 100% sense. My explanation there was to clarify how to write that properly since Team Fail made a small error. You pointed out that it sounds wrong, but since no correction was given for that particular phrase, I wrote it out and explained the difference between that and the two tenses - j'ai travaillé and je travaillais - that we were talking about, since "Je suis allé(e) travailler" is more like a past form of the present participle. It was merely a spelling correction on Team Fail's behalf.

Again, everything you said was 100%. The first portion of my reply was directed at clarifying the correct way to spell "Je suis allé(e) travailler" since, again, Team Fail wrote it a tad wrong ("é" instead of "er") and no grammatical correction was offered outside of it "sounding funny" when translated.

★ Does that make sense now? Your use of imparfait was, again, 100% correct.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Ooooh. Sorry. The quoting and stuff confused me and everything. I am really sorry.

No, no, it's fine. There were many quotes! And lots of chatter indeed. I was more concerned that you were taking it the wrong way / taking it personally lol

Glad that it's all worked out and we're all on the same page.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Nom: Gonz0
Pays: Pologne
Intéressement: dispute
no grey coupons on hand, lol

Oh, my God! this is the best club ever, haha!

I took three years of French in Junior High and I forgot a lot of it. I hope to take it again next semester to refresh my skills. My parents worked in Paris (my sister is living there) and I've spent many vacations there. when I was visiting my sis month ago, there was nothing left to visit or surprize me :/

I listen to French music and have a wide collection of French Pokemon games (and that makes Sydian jealous). that's pretty much all about me and French for now, looking forward to some cool discussions ;)

Chatot Lover

happy
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Subjonctif is a bit of an oddball, since in English we skip out on "that" a lot i.e. "The kid I like" is supposed to be "The kid that I like." Regardless it being there or not, it doesn't change how the verb looks either.

Subjonctif is generally used after "que" and is popular with the verb "faut," "avant" and "apres."

I find it to be a "feeling" conjugation, but you need to be comfortable with the language audibly and verbally in order to "feel" it right. If it sounds nice, go with it lol Otherwise, like with "Esperer," use the normal forms. It's a lot of practice.

I just wanted to add:

A nice rule about the subjonctif is this: You use it after expressing feelings, personal statements (opinions) and wishes.

Some verbs, that always require the use of the subjonctif are these:

trouver que
accepter que
admirer que
aimer que
désirer que
détester que
critiquer que
préférer que
vouloir que
ne pas croire que
etc. etc.

I always thought that the subjonctif wasn't so hard once I knew that you use it when talking about feelings, opinions and wishes.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Nom: Gonz0
Pays: Pologne
Intéressement: dispute
no grey coupons on hand, lol

Oh, my God! this is the best club ever, haha!

I took three years of French in Junior High and I forgot a lot of it. I hope to take it again next semester to refresh my skills. My parents worked in Paris (my sister is living there) and I've spent many vacations there. when I was visiting my sis month ago, there was nothing left to visit or surprize me :/

I listen to French music and have a wide collection of French Pokemon games (and that makes Sydian jealous). that's pretty much all about me and French for now, looking forward to some cool discussions ;)

Welcome to the Club! Quite the variety of people here already; glad to have you as part of us.

I just wanted to add:

A nice rule about the subjonctif is this: You use it after expressing feelings, personal statements (opinions) and wishes.

Some verbs, that always require the use of the subjonctif are these:

trouver que
accepter que
admirer que
aimer que
désirer que
détester que
critiquer que
préférer que
vouloir que
ne pas croire que
etc. etc.

I always thought that the subjonctif wasn't so hard once I knew that you use it when talking about feelings, opinions and wishes.

That's a pretty good list you have there, Chatot! I find Imparfait and Subjonctif are two of the most difficult tenses for anglophones to understand because they don't really exist in English. This should help a lot of people ★

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
Now it does seem pretty easy considering the feeling/opinion/wish rule. I think I might just have ended up with a dégoût of the subjonctif during classes. I remember scoring really badly on the test... and it still gives me a bitter taste in the mouth when I hear "subjonctif".
It doesn't exist in Dutch either, the subjonctief that is. I do, however, think the imparfait exists.

rpryor03

In and Out
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 9, 2024
Name:rpryor03
Interest: (i.e. tutoring, becoming a tutor, discussion, collaboration) discussion, becoming a tutor
If "Tutoring" is an interest, what grade are you in?:
If "Becoming a Tutor" is an interest, what background / skills / experience do you have that would validate this request?: 3 years of Frence, relatively fluent, meilleur élève de la classe
Do you have any grey poupon? Y/N: Y

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Name:rpryor03
Interest: (i.e. tutoring, becoming a tutor, discussion, collaboration) discussion, becoming a tutor
If "Tutoring" is an interest, what grade are you in?:
If "Becoming a Tutor" is an interest, what background / skills / experience do you have that would validate this request?: 3 years of Frence, relatively fluent, meilleur élève de la classe
Do you have any grey poupon? Y/N: Y

Welcome to the group, rpryor03!

Have a video as a welcome gift:

Word of the Day

★ Augmentation ★
- Noun (Feminine)
- English: Increase; Augmentation
- Related Words: Augmenter (verb) - "To increase" or "To augment"
- Antonyms: Reduire (verb - "To reduce"); Baisser (verb - "To lower"); Réduction (noun - "Reduction")
♡ Example: Cette année, la valeur des maisons dans le voisinage a eu une légère augmentation. (This year, the value of the houses in this neighbourhood increased slightly.)
♡ Example: Le prix de cette télévision a augmenté. (The price of this television increased.)

Last edited:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Hello! Yusshin's alt' here. I won't be logging on to Yusshin henceforth except to perhaps edit the Member's List.

Just a small video update. I posted it in the Ghibli thread a while back, but it's pertinent here, too:

Beautifully done!

Anyone have a most hated verb? Hard to use, hard to conjugate; anything, really.

Also, yay for Eiffel Tower and French stuff (Froakie for Frenchies lol) in X&Y!

Belldandy

Years
Teehee.

But I guess in English, it's too similar to tell. Really now.

I run
You run
She runs
We run
They run

Only third person you have to really watch out for. Past tense? Ran, ran, ran!

Then there's no feminine, masculin or neutral. No "e"s on stuff because of something being feminine either. English is much less complicated grammar-wise than French (and other languages, sure) is.

I remember in Grade Four we would have contests. Everytime you answered something correctly, you'd get a bonhomme sourire (happy face). You'd write your name on it and it'd go in the bucket. On Fridays, if your name was drawn, you got something nice: candy, eclairs, doughnuts; those kinds of things. I won once so I was happy :) but the more you knew, the better your odds... Except when you were Dylan Pitri and always getting chosen and thus winning weeks in a row as a result. Others knew as much as him, but for some reason the teacher played favourites. Grr.

Oh, well.

:)

Ever seen this guy?

Best part:

Voice: "Do you want a Coke?"
Thinking: ... Euhhh... Si je veux de la Coke ? Euhh, mais la, ca doit etre une piege d'american ca... vas-y, reponds 'non'.
Guy: "Euh, no, I... I want euh... Coca Cola..."
Thinking: Et ouais, tu m'auras pas !

xD

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Must be really great TF! Sometimes I feel the same after talking to someone in English.

Belldandy

Years
That's fantastic, Team Fail. I guess that's what we can call an curriculum success story? :P

I've already worked in Quebec and all, but before that I felt very good to be the only one around able to serve customers in French. I had a few people at Walmart who spoke French and I was happy to be able to serve them in their language of choice; they were quite happy, too!

It really is a wonderful feeling :)

Back