• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Passing around the Coil

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    Anyone utilizing this amazing phenomenon in BW2? Here is a link in case you don't know what I'm talking about. Apparently it is called, "Passing around the Coil" by Japanese fans. Coil being the Japanese name for Magnemite.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
    Years
  • I have been for the past two days. Finally hit Rank 20, and have 3 Rank 8 Shops up. Just wish the GTS didn't show people who already traded away, and instead showed only those looking for trades, I've lost count of how many times I've tried trading with someone who already traded their Magnemite away..

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm doing this as well, but so far I've had to deposit all of my Magnemite, the ones I look for myself are already traded away >8(

Also it kind of bugs me how I only seem to get Japanese players. Don't get me wrong any Avenue business is welcome, but I like adding a bunch of shops, I'd just like having names/greetings/whatever in a language I can semi-comprehend :s

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Oh, I was doing it wrong. I was on negotiations trying to do this. You are suposed to use regular GTS.

Years
  • I actually just tried to "Pass the Coil" for the first time and it's pretty successful, I was only at it for less than ten minutes and I had already gotten 6 visitors. It definitely seems like you see more Japanese Magnemite online, but eh, I already have all the shops I want (for now) and I'm only trying to level up my avenue and shops. (:

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Wow, I should definitely try this sometime!

I'm actually curious as to how people in Japan managed to figure this out. And why is it only Magnemite that can make this possible?

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I believe Magnemite was chosen because it can be cause so early in the game. And it is a Original Pokemon, ro it is retro - vintage.

My avenue went up 3 levels today! New Roof!

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2022
    I'm doing this as well, but so far I've had to deposit all of my Magnemite, the ones I look for myself are already traded away >8(

Also it kind of bugs me how I only seem to get Japanese players. Don't get me wrong any Avenue business is welcome, but I like adding a bunch of shops, I'd just like having names/greetings/whatever in a language I can semi-comprehend :s

From what I've experienced so far, any Trainers you meet still keep their foreign names, but their phrases are replaced with random ones in your language.

Seriously, though, the Passing of the Magnemite is the most fun I've had trading online in Gen V; I miss being involved in stuff like trade raffles like in Gen IV, or just trading Magikarp and Bidoof to collect IDs for the lottery. I don't think anyone does that anymore; it used to be so easy back then.

My Join Avenue gained four levels in a single hour thanks to this! Plus, I finally got a Market out of it! By the way, I've joined in the fun by entering a special Magnemite of my own! Keep a lookout for a Magnemite named Sprocket; he's been caught in a Premier Ball, and he may be holding Mail -- that's my Magnemite. ;) If you get him, but he doesn't have any Mail attached, make sure you write a letter and let Sprocket hold it. I wanna make sending Mail cool again! =P Hopefully, Sprocket's still circulating around the GTS.

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
    Years
  • I haven't tried this yet as I have only one Magemite and can't be bothered to catch another.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Wow, I should definitely try this sometime!

I'm actually curious as to how people in Japan managed to figure this out. And why is it only Magnemite that can make this possible?

It's found early in both versions and its ability makes it easier to find other Magnemites to catch in mass amounts.

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    Just wish the GTS didn't show people who already traded away, and instead showed only those looking for trades, I've lost count of how many times I've tried trading with someone who already traded their Magnemite away..
    By far the most annoying thing about this. But it's so amazing that I'll brush it off. I just basically offer and never seek(okay, maybe once every 5 offers to help out the trend), and it is fast enough for me anyway.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • For some reason it doesn't let me use the 'regular' GTS trade system and only negotians. However, just negotiating with people puts them in the Join Avenue- you don't even need to trade with them! xD If I can get the regular GTS to work, I will consider using this though. :D It's pretty amazing that people are doing this tbh- usually the GTS is just full of people wanting really weak Pokemon for legendaries. xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2015
    I've started doing this, and my avenue is doing good. I'm at a decent avenue.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Not that anyone pays attention to the magnemite they pass, but Mine are both named JoinAvenue and are loaded up with TMs.

Lv 10 Manemite with Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Charge Beam, Toxic.

Back