• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paul vs Gary

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
Years
  • As stated in the title. Both teams are their teams that is used in the conference in the anime (Gary with his team used in the Silver Conference and Paul with his team used in the Sinnoh Conference). Both will used their strategy they used in the anime.

No replies like "Oh, Gary because he's original/cool/Paul's a dick" or "Paul because I like him better".

This is to the ones that have watched the anime already. Do not put anything game related in it.

Detailed replies on why one of them wins is highly welcomed and appreciated.
    Go.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    As this is exclusively about the anime, I will move it to the pokemon anime section. All yours, Anna~

-moved

Last edited:

zdude18

Lone Wolf
    Years
  • as nostalgiac as gary is for me, paul is the much better trainer/battler. some people may not agree with his training style but it sure does get the job done. i think he is the most powerful of ash's rivals as well mainly because he has the most experience and the more powerful pokes.

Years
  • Yes I should see Paul easily frying Gary's Pokes with his powerhouse Pokes. Paul's battle style is a sort of tough but He also gets results from his training. That reminds me of his battle against Ash in Sinnoh league ....

Years
  • Paul for me, he was the main reason I loved the Diamond & Pearl anime so much. He actually releases Pokemon he deems too weak for his team, which is very different to what I see most rivals do when training Pokemon. He also has a very strong team and his Sinnoh League battle against Ash (which went for 3 episodes) was one of the most epic battles I ever watched in the history of the anime.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    I like Paul because he had more meaning and actually had an interesting story, Gary was just that guy who Ash knew as a kid and was a bit for an idiot to him to put him nicely.

Paul and Ash had that relationship which Cynthia gave that quote about, they were both as good as each other but had different methods but we're also able to learn from each other and use tactics they thought would fit themselves.

Also, like someone else mentioned, the fact that Paul would release Pokemon he felt were too weak or he couldn't make better was different we had ever seen from any person we had ever seen in the anime before, Gary just caught Pokemon for the sake of it and to brag about to Ash. At least Paul gave them a second chance to find a new trainer, Gary left his to rot.

Also in terms of journeys because by Sinnoh they had decided to have rivals last a season Paul had a lot of development whereas Gary didn't. Then they had Gary in Johto and didn't really know what to do with him.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • If they had an episode to battle in the Diamond/Pearl series? If this actually happened in the anime, I think Gary would win. Gary has put aside his trainer duties to become a pokemon researcher. He already developed. Meanwhile, the Diamond/Pearl series has frequently shown Paul failing to beat his superiors, such as Cynthia, his older brother, and Brandon. If they ever had any reason to duke it out, it would be to show that Paul still had a long ways to go.

I didn't take teams into account whatsoever. This is because, in the anime, it's not important who has the stronger team. It's about the position a character is in plotwise, and whether a loss or win would move them forward more. (Ash's Pikachu beating Trip's Serperior, due to the fact that Ash could not lose in the preliminaries, should attest to this.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    I HATED Paul with a passion, Gary while overly smug at times was at least good in regards to how he treated his Pokemon and gradually developed over the course of the series. Paul was just a total jerk with no redeeming qualities at all and never really developed or grew as a character, if I were Ash, I wouldn't have forgiven him so easily, releasing weak pokemon into the wild is one thing, but putting Chimchar through freaking HELL with that horrible training was crossing WAAAAAAAYYYYY over the line and just unforgiveable to me.

Back