• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pawn or Pown?

Do you say Pawn or Pown?

• Pawn

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Pown

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    All right, this has been bothering me for a while--actually, ever since my friend told me "I pown you." and I didn't really care about the sentence, I just cared about the fact that he said pown, and I say pawn. We've had this argument ever since he said that phrase, so now I turn to PC.

Do you say "pawn" or "pown?"

Chompah :x

Den Supuhhmann Dat [oh!]
    Years
    All right, this has been bothering me for a while--actually, ever since my friend told me "I pown you." and I didn't really care about the sentence, I just cared about the fact that he said pown, and I say pawn. We've had this argument ever since he said that phrase, so now I turn to PC.

Do you say "pawn" or "pown?"

I say Pwn.
    So Pwn x 5 - 17 + 12 = 34 X 12 = I say Pawn.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    This happened to me too =O my friend and I were saing "pawn" and then one of my other friends told us that we were wrong and that it was "pwn" which makes sense figuring how it started XD

I liked it better as "pawn though" D:

Years
    If I must reference that word, I use neither one. I actually just say "own" :/ Pawn or Pown just seems ridiculous to me, in my opinion it doesn't enforce the slightest feel of "ownage", but rather just represents the typical internet slang everybody uses. So it's neither for me, I just stick with own or ownage, though I don't even use those often either.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    This came up in the DCC a few years ago.

It should rhyme with owned, since that's what it came from. I agree with Toshinden... I just don't see how people can get pawned from it. oo;

I prefer to use "owned" myself, though. I'll only use p for something like "pwnt" if I really wanna show sarcasm and/or internet geekdom. Ahaha, I can't even explain it.

Years
    PokemonRox: You're expected to put a little more effort in saying more in your posts. Don't bypass the character limit with your "signature". By all means, it is still against the rules. :/

Years
    Pown all the way (or Poon on some occasions). I've read the history of the word...It was derived from a misspelling of own, so I pronounce with an O sound. And how does everyone get pawn from pwn, it has no vowels...So I resolve my case with one statement. A pawn is a chess piece.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    It should be 'pwn' but I pronounce it 'pown' since I believe it arose from a mispelt 'own', thus keeping a similar rhyme ;)

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Okay, I want to clarify that I don't mean how you spell it, but how you pronounce it. Obviously you can't pronounce pwn, which is how it's intended to be written, so I want to know how you pronounce it.

I think that caused a little confusion... ^_^;

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
    Years
    Why am I not suprised? XD

I just say 'own', since it makes more sense. I don't even say 'pwn', I r nut a n00b lol

well technically Pwn can't be found in the dictionaries meaning that it doesn't have any meanings unlike Pawn or Pown...i remember seeing a Pawn Shop once in NYC but that meant a different kind of Pawn as the one we always use on the chit-chats...after 3 years I'd like to know what the definition of Pown is just because its been impressing me over the net...

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    Actually, I don't use any internet slang in real life because honestly., if I ever went up to one of my friends, and said something like "I Pwn You," I would probably get punched in the face xD

So if it came don to it, i would just say "Own," like it's supposed to be.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I just say "pwn" in real life. But that's only at work, when I want to scare my boss enough that she sends me into the back room away from customers.

Other than that, I just say "own" because I don't want to look like a complete idiot. Even on the Internet, that's what I use.

Back