• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC, Console, or Handheld?

What kind of gamer are you?

• Pc

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Console

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Both

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
  • I agree... i have a "average" laptop and i have like really big and demanding games running quite well on it (though i have everything on the lowest settings).
    Well... lowest setting... I believe you play on PC to actually enjoy the graphics that is almost impossible to achieve on consoles so lowest setting... well, whatever fits you =D

Even with a mediocre PC, there's still a gigantic library of games to go through (especially with this whole "indie revolution" going on.
    Of course, I was talking about newly released games, I should have specified that.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I find PC gaming a lot easier than both handheld/console, because you don't have to worry about "upgrading" your consoles so that way you can play a certain game you want. It's a little cheaper to upgrade something on your computer than the whole console itself. Call of Duty for PC? Sure, I'll just buy the game and put it on my computer. Simple!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I like to rotate between all 3 for different games so it's a bit hard for me to pick a single system over the others in all honesty.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I have a slight preference for consoles over the other 2. I think its mainly the controls. My mind and fingers work better with a console controller than with a keyboard and mouse, especially in situations where quick thinking/quick button pressing is needed. And you sometimes have to worry if your PC can handle the minimum system requirements for your games. Not saying I don't like PC gaming, but its usually not my preferred gaming source.

Handhelds are starting to gain my favor more and more. It used to be that I cared little for handhelds outside of Pokemon, but now I've found more and more handheld games that I like/would like to play, and have been spending more and more time on them lately. They're also good for killing time on the train ride to my college or when I have breaks between classes.

Side rant: I wish PSO2 would finally get a frickin' Western release, but I think Sega doesn't give a **** about us Western PSO fans anymore. F uck love you too Sega.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I prefer consoles over PCs. Some computer do have better graphics than consoles, but they're usually too expensive. Alienware is one of the most popular gaming computer brands out there, and their lowest price would be somewhere around $1,000. That's a lot, isn't it? As for handhelds--I like them too, but not as much as consoles.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Personally, I prefer consoles over PCs. Some computer do have better graphics than consoles, but they're usually too expensive. Alienware is one of the most popular gaming computer brands out there, and their lowest price would be somewhere around $1,000. That's a lot, isn't it? As for handhelds--I like them too, but not as much as consoles.
    They're popular, and they make good computers, but they're computers are really overpriced. Making a good computer- or even buying one- doesn't have to be expensive. I would say that they're computers are so costly because of brand name and possibly aesthetics, but you can often make or buy much better computers than theirs for lower prices.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I prefer gaming on the PC and console depending on the genre of game. If I'm playing an RPG, RTS, or simulation game I prefer PC and if I'm playing an action/adventure, fighting, platformer, racing, shooter, or sports game I prefer console. Certain games are better with the precision controls of a keyboard and mouse while others are better saved for a controller with buttons and triggers. There are certain shooters (only FPS) on PC that I enjoy playing however and they can actually be more enjoyable than on console because I'm close up and feel more involved in the game. Yes I'm completely aware that you can plug in a controller to use on PC, but I've always found that silly. If I'm going to use a computer, I'm going to use the "controller" that was intended to be used with it. Just like I wouldn't use a wireless keyboard to play on console if I could. As far as handhelds go, I tend to only casually game on them nowadays, except for Pokemon!

However regardless of what you prefer, PC gaming will always be the best as far as capabilities go and that's a simple fact. The only problem is getting these capabilities can cost $1,000 or more. People say you don't have to spend this much, but if you want to have a bunch of games installed at once with plenty of room left over, play modern games with maxed out graphics, experience no lag, and have the computer be at a safe temperature without a massive fan and ice pack, you'll have to write a big check. Consoles on the other hand, while expensive, come with good graphics built in that are always maxed out, and enough memory for the majority of gamers. All of these things are extra on a PC if you want to build your own.

Last edited:

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Years
  • Handheld.
    These things are most definitely awesome! You can take one wherever you go, play in whatever position you want, many great titles are available, a good battery life is offered, games are inexpensive(to us hackers of course :P), net battles are great.
    A handheld has possibly everything a console has except for the graphics........... I feel that the handhelds are somewhat lacking in that field even though the graphics on my PSP look better than the ones on my PS2 but I still find much better graphic options...............
    Another big problem is memory........... Handheld systems don't have much memory in them..........

But the handheld systems can easily be hacked even by amateurs and then the games become inexpensive, provided you have enough memory...........

I presently use my PSP as a Game Boy Advance, Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo DS, Atari 360 and of course PSP................

Years
  • Handhelds all the way. They're portable and a lot easier to play as I just turn the thing on and don't have to bother with my TV and etc. On that note, I don't even have a good TV screen to begin with.. it's just an old computer screen we nabbed and put in my room so it's quite small. xD;;

Not really into PC gaming either as I don't have a controller and lots of games don't play on Macs.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • PC = Handheld >>>>>>> Console.

I built a PC and now the only console I touch now is my Wii on very few occasions.

PC gaming isn't as expensive as some try to make it (despite being slightly more expensive than consoles) unless you get stuck in the overkill hardware trap...then it becomes expensive.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • PC or Console?

What kind of gamer are you?

Do you like holding a controller staring at a big screen all day or do you prefer to sit at your desk staring at your small Pc screen?

I'm a console gamer, but not by choice. I've just never had a computer good enough to run high quality games on. However, I have always liked holding a controller regardless.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
    Years
  • Depends on the genre of the game. For shooters, Console. I just feel that is a lot easier to handle. For pc I'd have to say big control games like planetside 2. Since it is such a big world and my pc can handle it unlike my consoles.

Years
  • Up until a couple months ago, I only had a computer that could barely play emulators, let alone full games, so I didn't have much choice other than a console or handheld. My new computer can run almost all current games though, but with so many PS3 and (3)DS games that I still play, I'll happily stick with them for the near future.

Yukari

I'm more of a console gamer, I would be a PC gamer if I had a better graphics card. :(

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • I enjoy playing all three of them pretty evenly. Although, since my computer is older than the dinosaurs, and I don't have any recent consoles, I'm going to have to say handheld gaming is my favourite.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I haven't liked console gaming since the PS2. I usually only play games on handhelds. Nintendo systems only. I used to play pc games but I don't have a windows anymore so I can't now. Which sucks :c

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I like PC because it's has such great utility and very easily customizable. Games that were on Windows 98 such as Warcraft III can still be used on Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unlike Consoles or handheld where you gotta upgrade them in order to play. In the end, I'd say the money you put into your PC is well worth it in the long wrong.

Imo, I like all 3 tbh. But I just prefer PC by a huge margin. For me, it goes like this PC > Handheld > Console.

It also depends what type of game I'm playing, I prefer some on PC, some on handheld and others on console.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I used to be a heavy console gamer but more recently I have found myself playing mostly on the PC, I prefer having the keyboard and mouse set up for most things and when that doesn't work a lot of games now come with controller support. I feel the customization of a PC also helps in always being able to keep up to date by changing certain parts, I am always upgrading my PC whereas a console just stays the same till the company decides it wants to give an upgrade.

I do wish PC would get more RPG games though :(

Back