• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: PC Fastfood Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I just hope that by the time I get into college I would be different in that I prioritize school over everything (maybe even my job and definitely the internet) and get my homework assignments done with devoted effort.
    What's stopping you from going now?

Years
  • Oh gosh Morgan Freeman. I don't know how I would react if someone didn't recognize his voice right away. xD

What's stopping you from going now?
    I ran into financial aid problems and apparently I didn't get loans turned into the college on time.

Years
  • You can always ease yourself into it. I earned my best grades in first year cuz i was super hyped and confident for university, then i got cocky and my grades slipped. Things are only challenging if you allow people to drill it into your head and believe so. If you aren't aware of your limitations, you can do what effectively seems to the rest of the world as anything.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Oh gosh Morgan Freeman. I don't know how I would react if someone didn't recognize his voice right away. xD

I ran into financial aid problems and apparently I didn't get loans turned into the college on time.
    What kind of financial aid problems? Was it at a four year school?

Years
  • What kind of financial aid problems? Was it at a four year school?
    It's essentially my fault really on procrastinating. I didn't do well enough in school for scholarships of any kind, and my parents make a little too much money for federal aid (grants), and I was just procrastinating at applying for loans

Years
  • There are free courses online (that relate to computer science) that you can sign up for and get your work marked - but don't count IRL. But it's a good way to explore things you're afraid might dent your school performance, and it's also a good way to broaden your skillset. You can always put that on the resume, even if it never shows up on your transcript. Might be something to do in the meantime, to make the shift to school less abrupt?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    It's essentially my fault really on procrastinating. I didn't do well enough in school for scholarships of any kind, and my parents make a little too much money for federal aid (grants), and I was just procrastinating at applying for loans
    Go to community college and work on your grades there. By the end of your two years, scholarships would probably be available to you, as long as you keep at it and work on them. It's cheaper than going to a four year school the entire time, and you can ease yourself into a college atmosphere if you aren't comfortable with the idea of leaving home.

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
    Years
  • The NHTS(National Honor Technical Society) usually has scholarships for those who are interested in continuing their career from technical and community schools. Not sure if this is national but the requirements to get accepted for this is to have at least a 3.5 GPA.

Sirfetch’d

Go to community college and work on your grades there. By the end of your two years, scholarships would probably be available to you, as long as you keep at it and work on them. It's cheaper than going to a four year school the entire time, and you can ease yourself into a college atmosphere if you aren't comfortable with the idea of leaving home.

Gonna agree with this because this is exactly what I am doing. It was so easy for me to transition into a community college right out of high school because the atmosphere is essentially the same.

Years
  • Oh, it's a community college that I am registered for. The tuition for this year (excluding textbook costs) is roughly $1,300 for 12 credit hours. I explained the situation to my parents and they just flat out refused to help me from there. I can understand their reasoning, but it would have been nice if over the summer they encouraged me a little more to prepare for applying for scholarships and financial aid.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Oh, it's a community college that I am registered for. The tuition for this year (excluding textbook costs) is roughly $1,300 for 12 credit hours. I explained the situation to my parents and they just flat out refused to help me from there. I can understand their reasoning, but it would have been nice if over the summer they encouraged me a little more to prepare for applying for scholarships and financial aid.
    That's a lot cheaper than mine.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Years
  • Yep, I have a FAFSA on file, but it's unfortunate that with the information I provided in my FAFSA profile I don't qualify for the federal pell grant at all :( and it said that my school would use information from my FAFSA to determine if I qualify for anything else.. so far I haven't heard anything back from the school in terms of financial aid, but I'm also not sure if the school just misplaced my information or if I did anything wrong. I have also contacted the school about this but they aren't very helpful at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... No offense at all here, Zach, but based on your responses, you don't seem very proactive in getting any of these things done. You need to be more responsive and take ownership of your education if you're serious about wanting to further yourself.

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
    Years
  • Hmm...well if you're still undecided on what to pursue, you could always attend a technical school. The government pays for your tuition with the PELL grant depending on your taxes and work history. Depending how well you do in the class(both absence and grades) PELL may sometimes give you a free loan...could be $2000 or more. In the end, it all depends on the person if they want to pursue a career and sticking with it.

Years
  • you don't seem very proactive in getting any of these things done. You need to be more responsive and take ownership of your education if you're serious about wanting to further yourself.
    Well, that's unfortunately a problem I've had for a long time, and I've just never known how to correct it or to look into it.

I dunno, I guess this whole topic on college and financial aid is just overwhelming myself with what I'm going to do. There's always tomorrow for me to look around for scholarships I could qualify for at my college and other ways to get money, even if I don't qualify for grants.

And although this may seem irrelevant to the current discussion, I should put this out here that I am the only one in my family who is at least attempting to go past a high school diploma. Neither my older brother, my father, nor my mother made it past that and I certainly graduated with a higher GPA than the three of them as well.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Your high school should've pushed you/pestered you (hard) in getting your FAFSA in. Procrastination isn't an excuse. You had all last semester + all summer long to fix that.

If I were you, I would fix your Financial Aid situation inmediatamente. That way you can be ready for Winter Session and/or Spring Semester.

Years
  • Your high school should've pushed you/pestered you (hard) in getting your FAFSA in. Procrastination isn't an excuse. You had all last semester + all summer long to fix that.

If I were you, I would fix your Financial Aid situation inmediatamente. That way you can be ready for Winter Session and/or Spring Semester.

That's true. College could only be 4 months away!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Holy shoot, DCC's been dead all this time? *conducts CPR on DCC*

Alas it is Monday today. I've been awake since four this morning because of a random thunderstorm we had. Can't sleep now because of coffee. Not the best decision!

Hope everyone's having a better Monday than I am so far. xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back