• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Magazine Release

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
Years
  • (I think this would belong here. If not can a mod please move it to the relevant section)

Hey Everyone,
    I previously posted a thread about how people would feel about there being a possible magazine created for PokeCommunity. Well, I have done one, I'ts only the first issue and likely to change. Post any criticisms or feedback you would like to leave and say if you would like me to do a second issue and stuff.

I have attached the first issue for you guys (it's in PDF format. If its a problem let me know).

https://www.mediafire.com/?bbw092b709ru0t4

I got some preview images here too.

PC Magazine Release

Tell me what you think and if I should continue the magazine idea?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Honestly the design is just really amateurish - pixellated fonts and giant background images / pixel borders don't give off a very good vibe - there is a point where trying to pay homage to something gets in the way of attractive design. The front cover in particular is a horrid mash of different styles and garish colours.

Also, did you save the entire page as single images instead of writing text and saving the font into the PDF file? The giant file size also tells me you've either put the PDF together poorly or are just using far too much background imagery.

Frankly if you don't know the technical aspects or how print design works you should either give up or go back and solve those problems first.

Last edited:
    Years
  • There is some grammar errors I don't really mind the layout because it is a quick read so the pixelated GSC is fine and doesn't wear on the eyes too much.

I've only read the article about me so far and a suggestion I offer is instead of explaining the rules to the challenge and about how to get the 6 eggs i'd summarize it, do a review of how fun it is, and then leave it up to the reader to find out more
    (no I'm not plugging my forum I just think when people read rules or something technical sounding at first they won't continue reading)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I think that even if this is going to happen it'd have to be a job beyond one member. ;(

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • Hmm, after reviewing what you have said I will agree with some points.

@ The 100 Mega Shoick: I will admit I was testing the font because I felt it was the only one that would work. And honestly, it was my first time making a PDF, I made the entire thing as a huge PSD so it probably created them as huge images per page.

@LaureTheLoner: I agree that I should have kept it to opinion and let readers decide.

Overall, this was very fun to design and create but I honestly agree with what Vrai said, I think it is above and beyond one member to create. And because I don't have a huge amount of experience doing this I think I made quiet a poor job doing it. I worked fairly hard and got nowhere because I lack the knowledge. I think I will try this idea again when I have a bit more experience. I hope this amateurism isn't held against me :)

Thanks for all the crits and you have all really helped :) Thank You

I'm gonna request that this thread get either deleted or locked because I am kind of embarrassed looking back over it.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Ok, here's my opinion on it!

I didn't really mind the file size, mainly because I have pretty fast internet, but the next issue should be text and not image based for those with slower internet connections/data caps.

The pixel font, although Pokémon, is overused and a little hard to read. If you want to use a pixel font, then my suggestion would be Visitor - brk-. I use it for most of my promotional material and it's really good in my opinion. You'll have to download it btw. For the rest of the text use something like Arial (but not Arial as that's too common).

I suppose that the rest of the magazine design is in keeping with Pokémon, but it doesn't really make it better to read. Widening it to the full page size would be better for example. I don't want to give advice on actually graphical design, as I'd really go crazy with it xD

But the most important part, the content, was actually pretty good. You can see that a lot of time and effort has gone into it. There were a few errors, but nothing more than I see on news sites daily xD I also liked my games part in it, good job!

Years
  • Wow, a magazine.
    If you're gonna really make this then lemme help you.
    I have some good taste.

Pixelated fonts are bad, the backround must have multiple colors. Maybe like Turquoise and Mandarin with a Red border. A 7 sized verdana/calibri or orbitron font that is color black or color white with black outline. If you want, i'll make a preview :P.
    Nah, is that photoshop?

You could also put the featured or one of the most active members in PC :P
    Whatsoever that may other people see our usernames.

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • You have got some very good ideas guys. I'm putting it on hold for the moment to focus on honing my own skills before I start featuring all of your skills :)

Maraala

a fiery passion
    Years
  • lol @ my mention in the art section

Overall the magazine was pretty good. The font was a pretty hard to read though.

Anyway, if this does continue, then i'd be more than happy to help~

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • This should be a job for more than one person. And there are actually a few reasons which really support this. So don't just rush ahead and make another copy yet, this should be a large project, and planning and execution should go into this in depth, it should, in no means be an overnight thing.

First of all, this is a pretty tight-nit community. If we have one person developing a magazine, it kind of defeats the purpose. Number one, you aren't going to know as much in various fields as others, or you may not know anything at all and leave out some sections. Not only that, but both content and presentation will be so much better if we all work on it and bounce ideas of each other and keep tweaking to make the final product.

I do like the idea of a magazine, but it should definitely be like 4 editions a year, or maybe less/more, just not every month. Obviously with more people doing it, and after reading your version, a lot more content and depth should be given and the magazine could be much longer.

Years
  • This is not another dumb plug cause I don't go there anymore, but before here I belonged to a Pokemon forum called Pallet Tribune, and before you got to the forums there was always cool newspaper style like stories, and other than the factual news stories were written by other people and submitted.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years
  • For the Miltank 8-bit corner, you mentioned that "Rollout will cause minimal damage because of the Rock-on-Rock damage." Rock doesn't resist itself now or ever. Ground, on the other hand, does resist Rock, hence Geodude's resistance. I'm not here to critique the actual magazine; I just noticed a flagrant error and decided to respond to it.

Back