• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Markings

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    What do you use them for? These, star, square, circle, triangle, etc. markings in the PC boxes?

I use them to identify which Pokemon I have is EV trained and at which stat it's trained in.(ex. star is for this stat, square is for that.) Recently I have used them to identify which among my boxed Pokemon has a Perfect IV and at which stat it is perfect in using the same assigning of stats for a shape.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
    I've never used the markings for much to be honest, I've just never seen much of a point to them..

Shirayuki-san

Korrina
    Years
    Me too, I never used them or maybe just a few times before. I usually separate my Pokemon by boxes so I didn't really have to use the markings. But I guess that is a good way to use them. I learned something new :)

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
    Years
    I never really used them, but when I did it was so I could sort out a Pokemon in the sea of others. Legendaries just got an entirely new box.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I have never used them before, but I like your method of using them to EV/IV sort. It's sort of.. Brilliant. Although I suppose you could just put the IV perfect Pokemon in a special box.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    the markings is being used to make notes of what IV's are perfect whenever you get your pokemon judged by the potential judge NPC.

but no one really knows what they are for, just that people found use for them like that :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I just used them to mark what pokémon I had rotating on my extended team and what pokémon I considered too cute to release etc. Not a feature I really felt was necessary though :3

Years
    I use it to mark which stats have perfect IVs after taking the Pokemon to see the IV judge. There are 6 PC markings which is perfect.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I oftentimes use them to denote important information. Marking pokemon I've trained, want to train if enough time is given, or otherwise marking pokemon that have special attributes; like being an event, infected with Pokerus, taught a limited move, knows one or more HMs or is otherwise not a pokemon I'm willing to trade off without some thought or equal exchange equivalent to the plans I had for that pokemon.

PC markings are immediately apparent on their summary; and so this along with box arrangement keeps them organized.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When I was younger, I didn't use this feature at all; thought it was pretty redundant. Nowadays, though, I use it every now and then. If you mark your Pokémon, you won't be having any issues sorting them. If you're looking for a certain Pokémon in your PC but can't find it, you could easily search through the markings. My three most common marks are triangle, heart, and circle. If I use a Pokémon online when battling, then I'd mark it with a triangle. If it's a Pokémon I really, really like, I'd put a heart on it. As for circle, I use this marking only on shinies and legendaries—y,know, Pokémon that are rare. d:

Years
    For the longest time, I considered them useless, since they didn't seem to do anything other than having the markings highlighted when you looked at your Pokemon. I didn't actually start using them until HeartGold, where I'd mark the triangle and circle on Pokemon that I was planning to trade over the GTS. Once I found out that you could just add/remove those from Pokemon you received in a trade too, I didn't bother using them any more, and haven't since.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
    XY is the first time I've bothered using them, but they're exceptionally useful for marking on perfect IVs.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    What do you use them for? These, star, square, circle, triangle, etc. markings in the PC boxes?

I use them to identify which Pokemon I have is EV trained and at which stat it's trained in.(ex. star is for this stat, square is for that.) Recently I have used them to identify which among my boxed Pokemon has a Perfect IV and at which stat it is perfect in using the same assigning of stats for a shape.

That's actually pretty smart, I might have to start doing that, since up to this point, I've never really given the markings a second glance.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I used to use them alot back in ruby version because my friends told me this rumor that if you fill in random shapes it makes your pokemon more secure or some crap like that. Now since I'm slightly smarter than how I was back then, I know this was bs.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    I don't ever EV or IV train so I just use them something that I don't have to do, but I just like too. I use the circle, square, and triangle to mark how many evolutions the Pokémon has. For example Torchic would have one symbol, Combusken would have two symbols, and Blaziken would have three symbols. I use the star to mark the six Pokémon I use in my main team as well as any legendaries.

Tek

Years
    Hm I never thought of using them to denote perfect IVs. Very cool. I once used them to indicate the parents of a few eggs, wasn't really even necessary lol. Another good use would be to indicate the stats that are a pokemon's greatest strengths (atk + def vs atk+sp atk + speed, etc). Thanks for the inspiration!

Back