• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC vs. Mac

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Meh.
    I use to be very against Macs, now I like them.

I think I use to be against them because I didn't know how to use them! XD
    Typical!

Well that's one reason to hate something. :P

I find it too slow, I navigate around fast.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    lolno

4GB. 4GB. Stop recommending silly specs, kthx :)
    First of all, that was a minimum value; if you want more, go ahead. However, make sure you have fun with your extra 256 megs that you'll get from having 4GB, as 32-bit Windows can't recognize much past that (and 64-bit Windows is just bad). It's not worth it for the price.

Zet

Years
    A lot of people complain about the Mac price but I actually think It's worth what you're getting. Apple things do pay off despite the high price.
    Macs are really worth less than a Windows computer(check the vids on the apple said, steve even mentions it)
    What do you find to slow? Windows? If It's windows then I assure you that Macs are way faster.
    read the post, Macs are slow for him

twocows

Years
    Everybody can now henceforth ignore everything this user says; it's pretty obvious he's got no clue :)
    I used 64-bit Windows on one of my computers for two years (primarily because it had 4GB of RAM and I actually wanted to utilize it). The amount of trouble I had compared to 32-bit Windows (which already has its share of problems) was ridiculous. I understand the need to transition to 64-bit OSes, but I stand by my comment that the 64-bit Windows scene is, at the very least, less than desirable.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    Mac is way more reliable for me. But yes, less applications and games. However, my macbook can run windows and make up for all that : P

Years
    Okay, why do people insist on premoting OSX and then go on to say "I want to get one for Christmas"? I think you can see what I mean. I don't have much experience with OSX, so I'm not going to make a judgement on it as opposed to Windows, although Linux actually covers several of the "Mac Pros" that were listed, without several of the cons. It really depends on the person. Personal taste and needs.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    Never was true and never will be true. It's certainly not true at the moment. Just checking out Dell's site quick, you can make a decent computer for about $700 (they start around $400). Sony, makers of extremely overpriced equipment, seems to start at about $1000 (you can't customize Sony's stuff AFAIK). HP's computers start at about $300; if you want something that can play games, I'd say add another $300 to that figure. For the record, I hate all three of these companies.

All of these figures included monitors; if you already have one, jack the price down about $100. If you don't need something that plays games, you can take off the extra $300 I added to the starting prices for being gaming-capable (3GB RAM, 2.6 GHz or higher multi-core, mid-range graphics card).

iMacs start at $1200, and if you want something that can play today's games, add another $100 for the extra RAM. That's not including the mostly useless software that any of these companies will try to pawn off on you with their computers.

Might I direct you to this article: https://www.macworld.com/article/52381/2006/08/macproprice.html

Years
    Just a suggestion, you really want to use more recent stuff when trying to get a point across. That article is well over 3 years old.

As of this post, from the Australian online stores, I can get the standard Macbook for $1,599.
    With the same specs (2.13 GHz Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, etc), I can get a Dell Inspiron for $749. And that has a bigger screen, too.

I'm no Mac hater, but you may want to check before you go referring to old articles, m'kay? :D

lol, the top of the line Mac Pro with every option upgraded would set me back ~$36,000 AUD. I know no-one would do that, but.... lol.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    Just a suggestion, you really want to use more recent stuff when trying to get a point across. That article is well over 3 years old.

As of this post, from the Australian online stores, I can get the standard Macbook for $1,599.
    With the same specs (2.13 GHz Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, etc), I can get a Dell Inspiron for $749. And that has a bigger screen, too.

I'm no Mac hater, but you may want to check before you go referring to old articles, m'kay? :D

lol, the top of the line Mac Pro with every option upgraded would set me back ~$36,000 AUD. I know no-one would do that, but.... lol.
    You have to remember that Apple's "love" costs an extra $1000+ for the machine itself and per part/upgrade ;3

Silver

Kyle
    Years

I had said that I hadn't done the comparison anytime recently. The article was merely a reply in response to the 'Never has been true, and never will be true' statement. The article was also the one which I was thinking of when writing my original post.

Also, in response to your comment on the full upgraded mac pro cost, yes I've done that and it's fun to see how much it would cost, but no reasonable person would spend that much on a computer, I believe that also includes HD monitors x2 and servers, something that the general populace wouldn't need. But I dunno.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    I had said that I hadn't done the comparison anytime recently. The article was merely a reply in response to the 'Never has been true, and never will be true' statement. The article was also the one which I was thinking of when writing my original post.

Also, in response to your comment on the full upgraded mac pro cost, yes I've done that and it's fun to see how much it would cost, but no reasonable person would spend that much on a computer, I believe that also includes HD monitors x2 and servers, something that the general populace wouldn't need. But I dunno.
    To be fair, this article referenced one of Dell's pointlessly higher-priced computers. You could always get one of their lower-tier computers with similar specs for less (I know, I checked back when I bought mine).

Years

Oh yeah, no-one in their right mind would need that, but I did mention it was just for teh lulz.

I think we can still agree that Apple hardware is usually more expensive than it's other counterparts.

Cornelius

Video Game Addict
    Years
    While the Macintosh comes with the Adobe Suite, a group of advance image-edditing programs that I enjoy using, the Macintosh is far too expensive for me, and I've only ever used Windows as personal computers my whole life.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    While the Macintosh comes with the Adobe Suite, a group of advance image-edditing programs that I enjoy using, the Macintosh is far too expensive for me, and I've only ever used Windows as personal computers my whole life.

macs do NOT come with the adobe suite.. the adobe suite is $300 - 2500 depending on version.

Back